Started by Kradan, Feb 05, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

What is better?

The Predator
72 (55%)
AVPR
59 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author
The Predator VS AVPR (Read 51,724 times)

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Yikes,, The Predator must be really bad for you now to think that, funny thing is that I remember you actually enjoyed the movie when it first came out  :laugh: I think the nostalgia filter tends to make us ignore flaws the first time around.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2019, 11:46:55 AM
So I re-watched AvPR last night in preperation for our commentary, and found it more watchable than the last time I watched The Predator...

Now you're talking! Come join us on the dark side!

In a semi-related note, I actually found The Predator increase my fondness for Predators. Although I've always loved the hunting reserve planet, I have always been one of the film's biggest critics. But after repeat viewings of The Predator and my disappointment with The Predator grew, my appreciation for Predators grew equally and substantially, in light of. Honest and interesting unintended benefits.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 30, 2019, 02:00:09 PM
Yikes,, The Predator must be really bad for you now to think that, funny thing is that I remember you actually enjoyed the movie when it first came out  :laugh: I think the nostalgia filter tends to make us ignore flaws the first time around.

I dunno, it might just be a case of still feeling a little bitter over how The Predator turned out whereas I've had a decade to get over AvPR. I still consider The Predator an objectively better movie, even if it is butchered.

Though I do agree with you on the first time viewing. I'm never sure of my opinion until about the 3rd viewing. But I'm very aware of this.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Its completely understandible, I think we all get the nostalgia filter for the first viewing, I myself very briefly thought AVP-R was better than the first film  because it was more adult in its violence and the predator design was better, but after getting home, I realized how wrong I was and I decided to re-watch AVP. For all its flaws, it is far better than Requiem.

I agree about The Predator as well, it is objectively a better film but I would say it is the Resurrection of the Predator franchise.

Kradan

Kradan

So I re-watched AvPR last night in preperation for our commentary, and found it more watchable than the last time I watched The Predator...

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 30, 2019, 05:06:30 PM
I agree about The Predator as well, it is objectively a better film but I would say it is the Resurrection of the Predator franchise.

Agreed !

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 30, 2019, 02:44:59 PM

In a semi-related note, I actually found The Predator increase my fondness for Predators. Although I've always loved the hunting reserve planet, I have always been one of the film's biggest critics. But after repeat viewings of The Predator and my disappointment with The Predator grew, my appreciation for Predators grew equally and substantially, in light of. Honest and interesting unintended benefits.

Caricatures or not, Predators had some characters that I jived with.  I genuinely liked Royce and Isabel, and was rooting for them (which is all the more frustrating that they just left them on the planet with no resolution, save for the comic book followup).  I haven't re-watched The Predator since I saw it the first time, but the characters just didn't resonate (with me).  At least not the leads.  Much in the same way as AvPR.  That being said, clearly AvPR didn't try as hard as The Predator...and that in and of itself is kind of sad.   

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Wysps on Dec 31, 2019, 02:25:53 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 30, 2019, 02:44:59 PM

Caricatures or not, Predators had some characters that I jived with.  I genuinely liked Royce and Isabel, and was rooting for them (which is all the more frustrating that they just left them on the planet with no resolution, save for the comic book followup).

Not to open old debates, but my issue with Predators was always the retreading.  But since The Predator and all of its glaring faults made more evident in rewatches, the retreading has become less of an issue for me now. It's lessened for me,  become more tolerable and therefore enjoyable if that makes any sense at all. A sort of be thankful of what you got, because things can be much worse.

With that said I do like Royce and Isabelle and wish we'd get one more adventure with them.  :)

Trioxin

Trioxin

Jake busey is in one
Jake busey is not in the other  8)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2019, 11:46:55 AMSo I re-watched AvPR last night in preperation for our commentary, and found it more watchable than the last time I watched The Predator...

No. No, Hicks. F*ck off.

HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS.

:P

I still maintain the fact that some bits of The Predator are actually quite decent automatically elevates it above Requiem by some margin. Although I admit the fact it was screwed around with in post gives it a possible element of "we almost got something much better".

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 02, 2020, 01:45:23 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2019, 11:46:55 AMSo I re-watched AvPR last night in preperation for our commentary, and found it more watchable than the last time I watched The Predator...

No. No, Hicks. F*ck off.

Uh oh, Hicks has pulled out his banning hammer!  :laugh:

Samhain13

Samhain13

Look who joined the club.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Trioxin

Trioxin

I wish I could change my vote I just re watched both after reading this thread. God damn is the predator just a bad movie. It's cheesy and the acting for the most part especially in the beginning 25 min of the film is just terrible. The movie doesn't take itself seriously at all. It's like Shane blacks character from the first predator wrote every ones dialogue lol. Keep him away from the predator i.p for the love of God.

The Old One

The Old One

Just throw AVP, AVPR and The Predator in the trash, and be done with it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 02, 2020, 05:34:36 PM
Just throw AVP, AVPR and The Predator in the trash, and be done with it.

Hey you forgot AR!  If you don't include that, all bets are off!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed