Started by Kradan, Feb 05, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

What is better?

The Predator
72 (55%)
AVPR
59 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author
The Predator VS AVPR (Read 51,713 times)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Anyone remember how some months after AVPR was released the Strauses released on their site a clip with some fight scenes with the same lightning/contrast as the trailer? Bastards.

Look I can see what is happening, but it still looked much better on the trailer. Someone screwed up post production.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 14, 2019, 12:21:51 AM
426Buddy, as a test, go to this scene where Wolf is throwing shurikens and one hits Jesse.

These pics were taken of my 4k television with my phone camera maybe 9 months ago in a debate regarding how the shurikens were thrown. There were no brightness nor contast changes made to the tv nor camera.

Does yours look lighter, darker or the same?

Compare this with streaming. It's so awful.  :(

As someone who has had to change the brightness and contrast settings just to see a bit better, those images look just like how they appear on mine when the settings have been altered. If what you say is true in that you didn't alter the settings then perhaps your tv default is already got higher brightness.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 14, 2019, 03:41:42 PM
Anyone remember how some months after AVPR was released the Strauses released on their site a clip with some fight scenes with the same lightning/contrast as the trailer? Bastards.

Look I can see what is happening, but it still looked much better on the trailer. Someone screwed up post production.

Its definitely got to be a post production thing as the behind the scenes images show how clear and bright everything is normally. They likely used a dark filter or something.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 16, 2019, 09:25:05 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 14, 2019, 12:21:51 AM
426Buddy, as a test, go to this scene where Wolf is throwing shurikens and one hits Jesse.

These pics were taken of my 4k television with my phone camera maybe 9 months ago in a debate regarding how the shurikens were thrown. There were no brightness nor contast changes made to the tv nor camera.

Does yours look lighter, darker or the same?

Compare this with streaming. It's so awful.  :(

As someone who has had to change the brightness and contrast settings just to see a bit better, those images look just like how they appear on mine when the settings have been altered. If what you say is true in that you didn't alter the settings then perhaps your tv default is already got higher brightness.

"If what you say is true"... Oy

No I didn't alter the setting Cruentus. I know there's different presets for "cinema" and "sports" but I'm pretty vanilla and just one of those guys who generally leaves everything on the default standard preset for everything. If I did adjust it I would just be telling everyone to adjust their settings as a fix and rewatch it!  But apparently people have tried to adjust their settings and still, they can't see what's going on. So I'm chalking it up to different hardware + different room lighting + different player = different results.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Which blu-ray version are we talking about here? US, UK, EU?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: P-Rock on Sep 16, 2019, 04:51:20 PM
Which blu-ray version are we talking about here? US, UK, EU?

For me, either US blu, but I believe with Huggsy we are talking the US unrated 2-pack with the AvPR seamless fix. I believe Vermillion noticed an improvement too, but I don't know what disc was playing. But again, it's all probably just hardware driven. :)

Huggs

Huggs

US unrated double pack for me.

Katanu

Katanu

AVP-R understands the Predator much better than The Predator. So I stick with AVP-R, the Predator lore in the movie is pretty cool.
So while The Predator may be a better movie, the way the Predators were portrayed in it just offended me as a fan.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: Katanu on Nov 02, 2019, 04:16:57 AM
AVP-R understands the Predator much better than The Predator.

How? With everything Wolf did he only attracted unwanted attention to himself. He's supposed to be some supercleaner, but he keeps leaving traces everywhere he goes.

Katanu

Katanu

Quote from: P-Rock on Nov 02, 2019, 11:59:04 AM
AVP-R understands the Predator much better than The Predator.

How? With everything Wolf did he only attracted unwanted attention to himself. He's supposed to be some supercleaner, but he keeps leaving traces everywhere he goes.

I don't mean Wolf's actions in particular. Just that the Predators in AvP-R didn't want to get our DNA before we go extinct and later move to Earth. Also, there was none of that Predator Killer stuff.
Regardless of how the Wolf was handled in movie, I do think the ideia of a cleaner Predator was a nice addition to the lore (and it was used better later in the 2010 Aliens Vs. Predator game). I also enjoyed the brief scene in the Predator homeworld, and some new cool weapons.
One other thing that bothers me a little in The Predator is that the Predators didn't have any trophies colars with bones and stuff, they lost a little of their tribal look, having some shining armor instead.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Yep, I also missed the trophy skulls and necklaces in The Predator. I can't say which is a better movie, but I honestly enjoy AVP:R more.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I, as well.

Kradan

Kradan

PsyKore

PsyKore

AVP-R understands the Predator much better than The Predator. So I stick with AVP-R, the Predator lore in the movie is pretty cool.
So while The Predator may be a better movie, the way the Predators were portrayed in it just offended me as a fan.

Very true.

Kurai

Kurai

AvP:R
It's totally average. You could probably swap out the Aliens and Predator in the movie with expies and it would still be an inoffensive watch.

The Predator is just plain bad, uncomfortable in places, with stupid cartoony plot points like the lobotomy dog, it takes a dump on the Predator franchise and seems to actively hate the source material.
Say what you will about AvP:R, but it seemed like the creators at least had some passion for the project, rather than wanting to turn it into a knockoff MCU movie.

razeak

razeak

If i had to choose one to watch it would be The Predator.

I've only seen bith films twice.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed