Started by Kradan, Feb 05, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

What is better?

The Predator
72 (55%)
AVPR
59 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author
The Predator VS AVPR (Read 51,536 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 13, 2019, 05:10:18 PM
Huggsy has nicknamed these two guys Black and Dekker.  ;D
https://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/number-7-alien.gif

But seriously, give me AVPR Unrated Blu over The Predator all day long.

That's the spirit. However, I recommend you buy night vision goggles just in case  ;)

P-Rock

P-Rock

AVP-R has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The acting sucks, the story's terrible, Wolf is a f***ing moron and the Aliens are getting their asses handed to them by aformentioned moron, which is a load of BS. When they engage a fight with Wolf, there's absolutely no threat coming from them. Oh, Chet the half-breed looks ridiculous. The movie is dark as f*** and the scene at the delivery ward is a special kind of sick. It's a movie put together by two fans who didn't have a clue what they were doing, so they just put Alien and Predator easter eggs around every corner because nerdgasm.

The Predator is a terrible mess too, but at least I could see what the hell was going on and has okay action and acting.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Sep 13, 2019, 06:30:06 PM
You're insane

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 13, 2019, 06:40:59 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 13, 2019, 05:10:18 PM
Huggsy has nicknamed these two guys Black and Dekker.  ;D
https://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/number-7-alien.gif

But seriously, give me AVPR Unrated Blu over The Predator all day long.

That's the spirit. However, I recommend you buy night vision goggles just in case  ;)

My pet mole actually thinks AvPR is too bright.

Huggs

Huggs

AVPR on Blu-ray is fine.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 13, 2019, 10:04:39 PM
AVPR on Blu-ray is fine.

No.... no its not.. not at all.

But thats a discussion that goes no where and changes no minds. But I have to chime in and disagree just in case I can save even one poor soul from reading this and buying the bluray with the belief it actually makes a difference.

Huggs

Huggs

I run my tv on cinema mode and with energy saver, so I have a dark picture to begin with.

The darkness was a significant problem with the DVD, but the Blu-ray is just fine.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah yeah i know and I have the blu ray with several HD tvs and a 4k tv and its still so dark you can't tell whats going on. We've argued this before and im not trying to change your mind, I know thats not possible. Im trying to stop others from making the mistake of buying the bluray with the belief that it fixes the darkness issue.

The darkness was terrible in the theater, on dvd, and on bluray.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 13, 2019, 11:26:03 PM
Yeah yeah i know and I have the blu ray with several HD tvs and a 4k tv and its still so dark you can't tell whats going on.

Try turning the tv on.   ;) ;D

Seriously though. I'm not telling anybody to buy it. Maybe I've just got the golden ticket of AVPR Blu-rays. Stranger things have happened.

And besides the double pack only costs about as much as a burger. It wasn't an expensive risk to take. It paid off for me, that's all in can say.

P-Rock

P-Rock

I saw it on blu-ray and still couldn't see shit. Even scenes in bright daylight look dark as hell.

Huggs

Huggs

I guess me, Voodoo and his pet mole got lucky.

426Buddy

426Buddy

When a person enjoys something they tend to be more forgiving of its faults.

And on the oppisite side if you dislike something the faults become more glaring and unforgivable.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

426Buddy, as a test, go to this scene where Wolf is throwing shurikens and one hits Jesse.

These pics were taken of my 4k television with my phone camera maybe 9 months ago in a debate regarding how the shurikens were thrown. There were no brightness nor contast changes made to the tv nor camera.

Does yours look lighter, darker or the same?

Compare this with streaming. It's so awful.  :(

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 14, 2019, 12:21:51 AM
These pics were taken of my 4k television with my phone camera maybe 9 months ago in a debate regarding how the shurikens were thrown. There were no brightness nor contast changes made to the tv nor camera.

Does yours look lighter, darker or the same?

Compare this with streaming. It's so awful.  :(

Fair enough, there is an improvement. The Predator is better, though.

So, let's see. Requiem for a light got...

+1 For trying to fix the darkness in the movie.

-1 For everything else (horrendous monster design, bad to mediocre quality acting, bad handle of the Predator, etc).

Final score = 0 

SM

SM

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 13, 2019, 11:26:03 PM
Yeah yeah i know and I have the blu ray with several HD tvs and a 4k tv and its still so dark you can't tell whats going on. We've argued this before and im not trying to change your mind, I know thats not possible. Im trying to stop others from making the mistake of buying the bluray with the belief that it fixes the darkness issue.

The darkness was terrible in the theater, on dvd, and on bluray.

Yeah my BR is dark and all.  It's slightly better than the DVD, but the bar is very low.  The sewer for instance, much of the footage of Aliens is flashes of glisteny bits.  They would've done well for Wolf to hits a gas main with his first shot so you have some fire to light the scene.  Or even just make the laser grids brighter.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

I found a clip from AVPR that actually has great lighting when Wolf arrives on Earth and inspects the crashed ship.

Maybe I'm remembering things wrong, but this looks damn clear to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed