Spoiler
[close]

ace3g

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I wonder what that could be?

ace3g

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kevin J. Anderson"We might be getting a lot of brand-new readers, so we didn't want to do something that was in a very obscure timeframe. We wanted something that could be easily accessible and familiar to anybody who'd just read the first Dune novel," Anderson said during the panel. "It'll be a familiar way to get everybody right up to speed to reading Dune and seeing the film, so we felt this was the right time for bringing this story."

https://twitter.com/io9/status/1287118664202936321

The official Dune Panel

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Awesome!  I love the Herbert / Anderson books.  They expand on the universe very well.  They don't ape Frank's style and they don't pretend to be written by Frank, but this is an excellent example of doing an enormous and largely consistent universe expansion.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Wait, Anderson's Dune books are good?  His Star Wars novels were generally trash.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

There are many Frank Herbert fans who don't like the new Dune novels.  The style of writing is different.  Frank Herbert has the reader "read between the lines" a lot while the new books have everything spelled out in great detail.  But I actually loved the intricacies of the great detail.  It is such a rich and consistent tapestry that has been written now that I can't imagine anything matching this scope.

Also, there is something honest about not aping Frank Herbert.  The authors don't try to be Frank Herbert.  They just expand his world with incredible intricacies and socio-political intrigue.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 29, 2020, 03:21:33 PM
Wait, Anderson's Dune books are good?  His Star Wars novels were generally trash.

As far as I'm aware it's only Mr. Perfect that thinks so.

Dune trailer out next month:

https://twitter.com/DuneInfo/status/1288529165990400001

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Assuming, of course, that that Inception re-release actually happens.

ace3g

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 29, 2020, 06:08:13 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 29, 2020, 03:21:33 PM

As far as I'm aware it's only Mr. Perfect that thinks so.

I don't like regurgitating the ideas and sentiments of other fans.  But that is not why I like the novels.  They add to the richness of the Dune universe and expand upon the world created by Frank Herbert.  The style of the books is different, yes, but it is not Frank Herbert writing the new books.  I've read the 3 trilogies of Anderson and Herbert, and I have to answer one simple question to myself: did I enjoy reading them?  The answer is yes!  They were page turners.  Every book had no shortage of cliffhangers, twists, surprises, layers upon layers, and insights into the backstory of every major and minor house in the empire.  The books wove a continuous tapestry that brought together 10,000 years of history in a way that did not feel disjointed.  Some of the characters were different, but we saw the evolution of the houses, and that gave the sort of personal-level continuity that would have otherwise been impossible with books covering such a long span of time.

I don't have any interest in convincing people of how enjoyable these books are but in the face of so much hate aimed at the new books and their authors, I am proud to say that I really love them.  They gave me years and years of reading enjoyment.  I hope they all get turned into film.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Well, they obviously have a market if they keep on churning them out.

I just found the few that I read utterly forgettable. Don't hate them or anything.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed