Scene cut from The Predator due to sex offender casting

Started by Ramjet311, Sep 06, 2018, 12:08:15 PM

Author
Scene cut from The Predator due to sex offender casting (Read 30,937 times)

The Old One

The Old One

The film succeeded in deterring discussion from this topic at least.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 15, 2018, 01:21:33 AM
The fact that your avatar is my favorite character from Predator makes it hard to argue with you because I feel like I'm talking shit to Mac, LOL.

I guess I'm saying that, whether the scene is gone or not, the stink of this controversy is still gonna hang over the film, but I take your point. We'll just have to agree to disagree about the rest, as I suspect we're coming at it from different directions entirely.

No problem man ! Mac loves a little fun arguing sometimes !  :P

The Old One

The Old One

Gonna have me some fun!

Naginata

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 16, 2018, 12:30:59 PM

Not a man, but thanks!

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 16, 2018, 05:17:18 PM

Not a man, but thanks!

Oh ok !

By the way, did anyone saw anything about Munn speaking on Bryan Singer's bad deeds on the same subject ? I saw nothing, and have trouble imagining she doesn't know about it.

bb-15

Quote from: skhellter on Sep 10, 2018, 08:18:56 PM
Shane Black messed up.

Hiring a sex offender friend to share a scene with his lead actress... christ.  ::)

That said, Munn seems to be acting in an overzealous manner.
Black doesn't seem to have acted in an intentionally harmful manner.
Just.. put his trust in a friend who didn't deserve it.

Scene was deleted. Good.
Now they all should move on from this entire mess.

Who is socially acceptable with casting / making Hollywood movies?
Steven Wilder Striegel pleaded guilty to two felonies in 2010 for which he served six months in jail. That's public record.
After this, Wilder was cast in several films including "Iron Man 3".
* In the past it was believed, once a person had served their time, then they could work again. With a registered sex offender, a job was possible as long as children were not involved in the work setting.

- But it seems with Hollywood films, that is no longer true. What is being implied in the reactions to this scandal is that Wilder should never work in movies again.

* Olivia Munn's complaint is that she was not fully informed of Wilder's background while filming "The Predator". True.
But Munn's issue was eventually addressed by the filmmakers.
- Because Wilder's scene was cut from "The Predator".

- Still Munn wanted to expose Shane Black and the producers in the media for what they did (which led to Black's public apology).
She has received a lot of support for her actions.
- Still, that brings up another implied message, that a person who has served time should be black listed from the Hollywood film industry.

* I don't make a judgement if this is right or wrong. The general public will decide over time. 
The Hollywood film industry with politicians & political organizations black listed multiple film makers in the 1950s for far left views.
A claim of national security was made then and several people who promoted the 50s black list never apologized for it.
- Black lists are always possible for who is allowed to make Hollywood movies.   

;)

Naginata

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 17, 2018, 01:34:56 PM

Not a man, but thanks!

Oh ok !

By the way, did anyone saw anything about Munn speaking on Bryan Singer's bad deeds on the same subject ? I saw nothing, and have trouble imagining she doesn't know about it.

She may legitimately not have known about the Singer allegations; as far as I know, they were only allegations (ie: not full-on guilty verdict as in this case) and only came out after the movie had been released. In this case, the guy's guilt was a matter of public record AND mirrored the character he played in the movie exactly. It's a slightly different animal, though I can see where you're coming from.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 17, 2018, 09:14:17 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 17, 2018, 01:34:56 PM

Not a man, but thanks!

Oh ok !

She may legitimately not have known about the Singer allegations; as far as I know, they were only allegations (ie: not full-on guilty verdict as in this case) and only came out after the movie had been released. In this case, the guy's guilt was a matter of public record AND mirrored the character he played in the movie exactly. It's a slightly different animal, though I can see where you're coming from.

Beat me to it lol

The Wolverine Predator

I don't know if anyone else has shared this or not and I'm placing it here, I know The Predator is kind of a mess and I feel that this controversy may have hindered the movie a little, I know it has because I've seen tons of people say they weren't watching it now, I totally understand that, because I don't support sexual predators and feel they deserve a place in Hell. I really do hope Shane didn't  know the full  details and was misled. I do feel like this has affected the ratings some fans have given as well...if it needs to be moved cool, I'm sure Corporal Hicks knows where it belongs

Vanity Fair: Jake Busey Wishes Olivia Munn Had Waited to Speak Up About Predator Sex Offender.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/09/the-predator-olivia-munn-sex-offender-scandal-jake-busey

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've moved it to the existing thread on the issue

Quote"I think it could've been done like a month from now, and let the studio and the director have their night of the release and the movie," Busey told Us Weekly, "and not destroy the movie over a discovery that was made a year after filming—and 10 years after the incident. I think the timing could have been better.The director was in tears at the red carpet, which is not really the way you want it to be. But it's done, it's put to bed."

The article doesn't mention Black later said he didn't know the actual details of the crime until this all came out and appologised for it.

The Wolverine Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 18, 2018, 11:28:08 AM

Quote"I think it could've been done like a month from now, and let the studio and the director have their night of the release and the movie," Busey told Us Weekly, "and not destroy the movie over a discovery that was made a year after filming—and 10 years after the incident. I think the timing could have been better.The director was in tears at the red carpet, which is not really the way you want it to be. But it's done, it's put to bed."

The article doesn't mention Black later said he didn't know the actual details of the crime until this all came out and appologised for it.

Thanks Hicks, I've had a hard time keeping up with all the threads lately

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 18, 2018, 11:28:08 AM

Jake got it nailed, the problem was solved behind closed doors almost a month before the release, the scene got cut and Munn got what she wanted, but that wasn't enough for her.

This could have been solved in a great way that made everyone a winner (besides Black of course), the movie, the studio and Munn, i think she's really... not the smartest person for doing it this way.

The Old One

The Old One

I believe Olivia Munn feels calling attention to the issue, one that's permeated Hollywood for decades-
people in positions of authority hiring their friends in bad judgment.
Is ultimately more important than how financially successful The Predator, or the Predator franchise is.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 18, 2018, 01:00:08 PM
Is ultimately more important than how financially successful The Predator, or the Predator franchise is.
Not to me, not to the studio and countless people working their asses off for this, including all her co-stars.

She said she's angry for not having a choice... but she's got no problem trashing her entire cast with this too.

Nope, not working for me.

There are people out there that are heroes, going up and speaking up about abuse, even having experienced it by themselfes, getting attention on the back of a big studio movie for this is not brave, it's hypocritical. She would have been 100 times more a heroe if she would have come out with this in a month from now, she still would have done the right thing and letting people have their dime = Everyone is a winner.

There is nothing to protest against here, the scene got cut, the movie is not a problem anymore and she still felt the need to come out one day before the release, what did she think would happen? That people buy more tickets now?

Ask Boyd Holbrook what he feels like not getting a lead role in a major studio movie anymore because her co-star sank him and his movie over a long closed case that got solved internal long before the movie got released.

Nope, still not working.

Gazz

Amazingly on the issue of a director quietly hiring a convicted sex offender on their film, the person who spoke up about it is the one having their credibility and integrity questioned. Get the f**k out of here with that shit.

Sure the issue could have been dealt with quietly, but this way at least sends a message to the rest of Hollywood that there are people who won't stand for it anymore. To deal with the issue quietly changes little and to approach it with willful silence is to allow it to continue. Not to mention there's the victim's response, who has publicly thanked Olivia Munn for speaking up on the issue, her experience and validating her.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed