Alien 3 original screenplay & EU

Started by EJA, Apr 05, 2020, 02:59:57 PM

Author
Alien 3 original screenplay & EU (Read 3,195 times)

EJA

EJA

With Dark Horse having recently published William Gibson's original vision of ALIEN 3, I was wondering how the story fits with the rest of the expanded universe material. Is it compatible with the stuff produced by DH over the decades??

SM

SM

No.  It's an alternate 'reality'.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

That said, unless Fox has changed their "everything released after X date is officially canon" policy, the adaptation is officially canon. ;D

EJA

EJA

But could any of the old EU stories still happen in its reality?

Local Trouble

I think the first two volumes could, but not Earth War since it reveals that the Sulaco was intercepted by a (rogue?) USCM captain three days into its return trip to Earth and he extorted Ripley to accompany his team back to LV-426 so they could plunder the derelict's technology.

That's a major conflict with the Gibson script.

SpaceKase

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 07, 2020, 10:23:09 AM
I think the first two volumes could, but not Earth War since it reveals that the Sulaco was intercepted by a (rogue?) USCM captain three days into its return trip to Earth and he extorted Ripley to accompany his team back to LV-426 so they could plunder the derelict's technology.

That's a major conflict with the Gibson script.

If you make one tiiiny revision to Earth War, it's easy enough to have Hankerson pick up Ripley's shuttle shortly after the destruction of Anchorpoint Station. This kind of revision would be far less drastic than the changes made between the Earth War comic and the Female War Novel. The Hankerson LV-426 mission would end up taking place in early 2183 instead of mid 2179, but otherwise they'd be compatible.

SM

SM

Ripley only goes back to LV-426 because Hankerson needs an adviser and threatens to wake up Hicks or Newt.  She was alone in her lifeboat in the Gibson script.

SiL

SiL

Is that the same scene where Ripley is suddenly a weapons expert?

SM

SM

That's the next scene.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Apr 24, 2020, 12:56:48 AM
Ripley only goes back to LV-426 because Hankerson needs an adviser and threatens to wake up Hicks or Newt.  She was alone in her lifeboat in the Gibson script.

Yeah, exactly, it's as easy as Hankerson saying "But I'm going to have reliable, first-person information on this mission-- and if you're unwilling, I can always get the corporal--  --or the little girl."

Super easy, barely an inconvenience. A man of his obvious resources shouldn't have much trouble acquiring either one of them. As stated before, a far less drastic revision than The Female War's.

SM

SM

Would Ripley and Hankerson even know where Newt and Hicks are?  One's on the Sulaco and the other is on Anchorpoint and later on the Kansas City.

And even if Hankerson did find Hicks, Hicks could just tell him where to go.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Apr 24, 2020, 04:15:49 AM
That's the next scene.
Best depiction of Ripley ever. Beautifully done.

SM

SM

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Apr 24, 2020, 08:09:00 AM
Would Ripley and Hankerson even know where Newt and Hicks are?  One's on the Sulaco and the other is on Anchorpoint and later on the Kansas City.

And even if Hankerson did find Hicks, Hicks could just tell him where to go.

I guess the more important question would be, would Ripley know for sure?

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Apr 24, 2020, 08:14:53 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 24, 2020, 04:15:49 AM
That's the next scene.

Best depiction of Ripley ever. Beautifully done.

It would have been a good thing to ask Verheiden about.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed