AvPGalaxy Reviews Prometheus

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 01, 2012, 08:45:29 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Reviews Prometheus (Read 35,571 times)

MrLee

MrLee

Quote from: Mastes1 on Jun 01, 2012, 05:42:07 PM
I agree with this review reagrding the score, it felt so out of place. Its a good sounding score just in the wrong movie, i said the same in my review.
Yeah alot of the time the music sounded more like some sort of Indiana Jones adventure movie.

szkoki

szkoki

i have read a lot of reviews by now and the main problem imo that every review is startin with this: "comparing to alien"

-.- oh my , why??? so many dumb people out there....you cant compare these two movies why dont they compare it to blade runner? why at all??? ofcourse alien is a milestone i scifi history but i know why ridley said that this has nothing to do with alien

RAD_RAT

RAD_RAT

Quote from: szkoki on Jun 01, 2012, 08:45:54 PM
i have read a lot of reviews by now and the main problem imo that every review is startin with this: "comparing to alien"

-.- oh my , why??? so many dumb people out there....you cant compare these two movies why dont they compare it to blade runner? why at all??? ofcourse alien is a milestone i scifi history but i know why ridley said that this has nothing to do with alien

This movie is poorly made by any standards (accept visual), compared to Alien or not. It's made of cardboard. Cardboard characters, cardboard decorations, cardboard story... It has great idea in it's core, but narrative goes nowhere with it. Overall impression - disappointment. Disappointment.... Disappointment.... Disappointment....

mastermoon

mastermoon

Quote from: RAD_RAT on Jun 01, 2012, 09:35:29 PM
Quote from: szkoki on Jun 01, 2012, 08:45:54 PM

This movie is poorly made by any standards (accept visual), compared to Alien or not. It's made of cardboard. Cardboard characters, cardboard decorations, cardboard story... It has great idea in it's core, but narrative goes nowhere with it. Overall impression - disappointment. Disappointment.... Disappointment.... Disappointment....

But I heard Elizabeth Shaw & David 8 were the most developed characters and were also praised.

MrLee

MrLee

David was good, but even then they still f**k him up as it goes on.

Gash

Gash

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Negatives were few and far between. I sorta wish Weyland had been an older actor, but plotwise I had no problem with the film. You do have to join the dots but everything that needs to be said is there to do that - in regards to what they find set up on LV-223 anyway. I don't really feel that there were any questions left unanswered that particularly need an answer, and to be honest I don't even think the ending is a certain link to a sequel. Though it could be.

But yeah, I do think there's a longer edit of this film itching to get out. And I guess I was geared up for some nasty death scenes that didn't transpire.

I'll write a review with positives and negatives tomorrow, but immediate reaction - happy to have watched a Sci-Fi film that isn't all about visual effects and one that was thoroughly engaging.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

wow Gash, that's good to hear. My Facebook UK friend Michael Harper who's an ALIEN freak (more than me) LOVED Prometheus.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

The more outraged the hardcore forums are, the more I look forward to it.  Scott is moving on.

And I still like the score quite a lot.  New franchise and all.

chupacabras acheronsis

the movie was definitely flawed. no denying to that. characters that were barely present and not even properly introduced play bigger parts than some which occupy a bigger deal of run time, there are things happening without a reason, decisions made without a reason, what was the point of hiding the presence of Wayland and his mercs? what was the point of the snake creature? what was the point of Fifields mutation? all of these things point somewhere, but the movie utterly fails to make them matter, and to cover it it keeps trowing more and more stuff until it can almost overwhelm you and make you forget just what the f**k is going on. visuals were nice but the quick editing and soundtrack made it impossible to immerse in them. there wasn't a single pan, time lapse, walking, flying or exploring sequence to build tension. luckily Ridley still managed without, but it didn't feel like it was comfortable with showing you more.

and i get the feel like every single one of those things had a strong and solid reason idea behind them, but they just forgot to implement it, and instead of ditching it entirely, they kept it because they were afraid they wouldn't get a second shot at it.

i pray that when the movie is released there's enough footage ready to be added in to make this mess make sense, because when it does, i can actually start loving it. so far i feel like i watched a movie that hasn't finished filming yet. this needs like two whole extra hours.

still nice. i missed the oppressive dark exteriors of LV-426 but movies like red planet proved that empty alien deserts can be frightening too. i wish there was more to that planet though. it seemed unbelievably opportune for them to land and end up so close to these temples right away. wonder if there were more Gigerian, creepy structures around the planet that they just didn't see. that's another point, we never knew the real nature of this place. even in alien we knew the Derelict crashed there, it was very solidly established. word-dropping "military base" here was as close as we got, and i got the impression that it wasn't accurate to the situation at all.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jun 02, 2012, 12:02:11 AM
the movie was definitely flawed. no denying to that. characters that were barely present and not even properly introduced play bigger parts than some which occupy a bigger deal of run time, there are things happening without a reason, decisions made without a reason, what was the point of hiding the presence of Wayland and his mercs? what was the point of the snake creature? what was the point of Fifields mutation? all of these things point somewhere, but the movie utterly fails to make them matter, and to cover it it keeps trowing more and more stuff until it can almost overwhelm you and make you forget just what the f**k is going on.

Spoiler
Fifield's mutation occurs after seeing him fall face first into the black goo, and the black goo has already been established as something that can change and mutate things as I believe that moment is intercut with David choosing to spike Holloway's drink. It becomes clearer later that the urns are a DNA altering bio weapon. The snake is just one of the many consequences of the goo, possibly altered from a tiny grub. I think more could have been made of Fifield being missing so that his eventual return had more impact but I wouldn't say these things were set up pointlessly or lead nowhere.
[close]

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I'm surprise how the low the rating is. I remember the rating for Predators was even higher?

Ooze on First

Ooze on First

I'm probably going to like this movie al lot.
Mostly every movie that hadcore fanboys hate, I enjoy...mostly.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

What low rating?

MR EL1M1NATOR

MR EL1M1NATOR

Ok, I have just got back from seeing it, and I think it was bloody awful. I won't spoil plot, but I will say if you have seen the trailer then there is nothing left to see.

Acting was awful, plot was mediocre and the movie just felt rushed. I am so angry.

Max Powers

Max Powers

A lot of people have complained about the editing in this movie and it makes me think of the 'landing sequence' that was released a few weeks ago. The editing in that 1 minute video was complete crap. So I'm wondering, is that actually how it was in the movie? Or was there a lot more than was in that short clip?

here's the clip for reference http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=43438.0

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed