Dinosaurs, Xenoborgs and Attila the Hun, Reviewing Aliens vs. Predator: Hunter's Planet - AvP Galaxy Podcast #120

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 21, 2020, 03:57:22 PM

Author
Dinosaurs, Xenoborgs and Attila the Hun, Reviewing Aliens vs. Predator: Hunter's Planet - AvP Galaxy Podcast #120 (Read 6,503 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 120th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Corporal Hicks, RidgeTop and Voodoo Magic reconvene to see 2020 out with our traditional Alien vs. Predator episode! And to close this year off, we’re looking at David Bischoff’s novel Aliens vs. Predator: Hunter’s Planet!

We talked about how Hunter’s Planet fits into the timeline given one particular dead character who is alive for this entry, origins of surnames, the Yautja and plenty more!

I reference some missing notes at one point during the episode. I eventually found them! Instead of the planet Bunda from AvP War, Hunter’s Planet calls it Gordian. The artwork that RidgeTop brings up during the episode is this piece by Marek Okon.

And be sure to check back in for our next episode where we’re talking to none other than Predator 2 director Stephen Hopkins! So that’s our 2021 off to a good start!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunesPodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a rating and review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you’d rather see our beautiful faces, the video version of the podcast is also available on YouTube!

Make sure your browsers are locked into Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can also follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

Kradan

Kradan

f**k yeah there's something to lighten my mood up !

What about Thicker Than Blood ?

QuoteAnd be sure to check back in for our next episode where we're talking to none other than Predator 2 director Stephen Hopkins! So that's our 2021 off to a good start!

Oh, I'll be there, don't worry about that ! If only to see Voodoo melting down in front of his idol

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kradan on Dec 21, 2020, 04:02:32 PM
What about Thicker Than Blood ?

It'll be coming next year. We've already recorded an interview with the writer, and will be doing a review episode as well. Probably be Jan/Feb.

Kradan

Very curious to hear your thoughts on that one

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Oh I absolutely loved Thicker Than Blood. I'll spend that episode gushing.

Also, I'm surprised at how much love the book is getting on socials. Really didn't expect to be having outside opinions on this one.

Voodoo Magic

Ultramorph

I remember liking it as a funny, what if type story back when I re-read it five or six years ago. But boy was I confused as a teenager the first time I read the three AVP books.

Billiken

I always loved the Predator 2 inspired cover art. Remember going into my public library as a kid and seeing all these aliens and Predator books and feeling like a fat kid in a candy store

Kimarhi

HP might have been the first disappointment I had in the Alien verse. 

Jesscobb

Matt best just released a YouTube vid...spec ops vs sci-fi...predator is there.

XenoHunter99

That was interesting. I went into the podcast after seeing the novel cover art thinking, that looks good. Maybe I need to make more effort to read these novels.Then I hear the quick reviews, and I think, oh. Maybe not?  ;D I'm usually more entertained by graphic novels. Even then, I don't try to keep up with it all. Mostly, I hear about these things here on the site. Podcast was good though. Informative! Good job, as usual. Glad to have Voodoo on the team. Cheers and season greetings to you all!

GreybackElder

Great job gentlemen. I believe you boys gave an honest and fair review for Hunter's Planet. I remember reading this in my late teens and felt it was lacking in character depth aaaanndddd aliens. It was also pretty cheesy with the hunting of dinosaurs. I felt like this novel had a very "Saturday morning cartoon" feel to it with its predictable plot stereotypical villain. I felt like you could swap out the antagonist with Dr. Robotnik and it would have felt the same. As far as the story had to reread the opening sequence a few times because I was thinking there's no way that Xeno had a gun, but boy was I in for a surprise. The buggers definitely lacked the menace of the xenoborgs from the AVP classic game.I remember almost shitting my pants as a predator everytime I came across one and it booted up. Oh  Also, I've always been unclear as to the order of these earlier AVP releases as well, im glad it wasn't just me. Once again great job! I look forward to your interview with Stephen Hopkins!  Also I can't wait for Hicks review of South China Sea. In my humble option it is the best stand alone Predator novel available.

Voodoo Magic

@XenoHunter99 - Thanks brother! And happy holidays to you!

Quote from: GreybackElder on Dec 24, 2020, 03:03:36 AM
I felt like this novel had a very "Saturday morning cartoon" feel to it with its predictable plot stereotypical villain. I felt like you could swap out the antagonist with Dr. Robotnik and it would have felt the same.

That made me laugh out loud.  :laugh:

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 24, 2020, 02:08:17 PM
@XenoHunter99 - Thanks brother! And happy holidays to you!

And to you! I made good on my intent to rewatch P2 and found the experience quite interesting! The few parts I remember vividly are still there, but I was surprised how well-assembled and coherent it all is, as well as how much I'd forgotten about how it all fits together. The story-telling is very meticulous. Everything is smooth and by the numbers, so to speak. In all, a very good experience. I'd also forgotten how soon Keyes shows up, how integral he and his helpers are to the plot. P2 may be the best of the Predator films. As an added bonus (for me), I rewatched Predators and... I still really like it! :D Is it as good as P2? I think they're close. YMMV.

ModMonkey

Just read Hunter's Planet and checked out this episode to hear your thoughts on the book. Definitely not the best Alien or Predator book I've ever read but I did think you guys shit on the book somewhat unfairly. Some of the things that were being complained about were literally things addressed in the story but that commentators seemed to have missed in the reading, probably because they felt put upon or were rage reading by that point.

Anyway, as I said, not the best book ever, and maybe I'm just being put off by all the negative reviews on the podcast in the last little while, but I thought it was an alright afternoon's diversion and these franchises have definitely offered up worse fare.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed