Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 270,622 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 25, 2014, 11:15:56 PM
I'm not especially well versed in the EU but I thought they were called "Berserker" to make the distinction.

The Super Predators have briefly made their appearance in the EU if one counts the PREDATORS prequel and sequel comics, and to lesser extent-- Evolution. But they really haven't been expanded upon unless one counts the NECA Toy backstories (and I know two people who do) where they are described as Yautja. But later backstory entries make distinctions by referring to the normal Predators as Yautja, and the Super Predators as Super Predators.

I would prefer it if the Super Predators were retconned to be the Hish since the similarities between the two are somewhat apparent. But then again I never read the Hish mythology as I heard some very messed up things about it.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I'll be honest, part of me wishes they hadn't been called "Yautja" on the NECA bios, but I'm okay with it on the whole.

Yautja is a species name, and there's sub-species that are similar but still have important differences. Like you can substitute "Yautja" with "cat" (or even "feline", if you want to make it even broader) - there's a ton of different sub-species of cats that look very different from each other, but share some general traits.

Or to go with a human analogy, there's various races of humans that have pretty distinct differences even if we're all the same species.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 25, 2014, 11:46:11 PM
I'll be honest, part of me wishes they hadn't been called "Yautja" on the NECA bios, but I'm okay with it on the whole.

Part of you wishes, I remember you wholly agreeing with me on the NECA bios. But then again I don't consider the NECA bios to be canon at all whatsoever. I'm not sure who else aside from you and PredXeno does aside from the non-fan who would take it completely at face value. And then there are the fanon characters who somehow managed to get official toys..

Sandy Collora is lucky that he got his Big Red, Wasp, and Albino OCs to get action figures.

Yautja is a species name, and there's sub-species that are similar but still have important differences. Like you can substitute "Yautja" with "cat" (or even "feline", if you want to make it even broader) - there's a ton of different sub-species of cats that look very different from each other, but share some general traits.

Admittedly that is very hard to argue because it has a basis in reality when it comes to certain animals. But at the same time this could be argued against it with similar evidence regarding sub-species. In regards to the species thing, you do have a point. In the case of Noland's analogy, he had compared them to Wolves and Dogs. The latin name for the overall canis species would be canis lupus, but there are so many variations of the canis lupus species that some are radically different from the original wolf species. You have Canis Lupus, and Canis Lupus Familiaris.  Thing is with Canis Lupus and Canis Lupus Familiaris is that depending on how far the sub-species has branched off, they can be considered not the same thing despite descending from a common ancestor.

Compare a Labrador Retriever with a Grey Wolf.. The differences are glaring despite the two being related in someway.

Or to go with a human analogy, there's various races of humans that have pretty distinct differences even if we're all the same species.

This would be a better way to compare the two species but as of now we're all Homo Sapien, otherwise Modern Man so we're all the same species.. So let's go back some few thousand years ago when Modern Man had emerged. We did co-exist with other Human Sub-Species.. Homo Florensis and Homo Neanderthalensis.

Compare modern man to Homo Florensis or Homo Neanderthalensis.. We both descended from a common ancestor but the physical features were glaring and even the genetics. So if you compare Florensis and Neanderthalensis along side with Sapien, would you say that they are the same thing? Closely related and probably able to interbreed (in the case of Neanderthal and Sapien, that definitely was the case) but not really the same thing.

Regarding Predators.. As bad as Rodriguez's 1994 script was, I'll say I did like the latin classification Draconis Ostraccm for the Predators. I mean we do have Internecivus Raptus for Xenomorphs.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteAnd then there are the fanon characters who somehow managed to get official toys..

Sandy Collora is lucky that he got his Big Red, Wasp, and Albino OCs to get action figures.
I think it's awesome that they did. As far as I'm concerned, that makes them "official" characters (even if the Dead End fan-film itself isn't official).

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 26, 2014, 01:09:27 AM
I think it's awesome that they did.

No arguments there! Definitely no arguments there! Sandy came up with some pretty cool OCs.. As someone who has a few Predator OCs myself, I am actually very jealous that he got toys made for them.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 26, 2014, 01:09:27 AM
As far as I'm concerned, that makes them "official" characters (even if the Dead End fan-film itself isn't official).

I'll take Big Red, Albino and Wasp over the Super Predators any day.. Shit, I'll take Dead End over PREDATORS related media any day.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 25, 2014, 11:08:43 PM
Xenomrph is correct IMO on this one, Yautja = Predator to me.

And I really hate that. But to each their own.

Crazy Rich

I outright hate "Yautja" myself. It was just something I heard of at first then I just started not liking it.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 26, 2014, 09:29:13 AM
Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 25, 2014, 11:08:43 PM
Xenomrph is correct IMO on this one, Yautja = Predator to me.

And I really hate that. But to each their own.

Why? To me it's the eqivalent of "Xenomorph".

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 26, 2014, 11:02:59 AM

Is it? Xenomorph was a phrase used in the films. Yautja certainly never was.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

But what is the technical term for a Predator then?

SM

SM

Turpis Mater Coitus.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 26, 2014, 11:21:25 AM

The funny part is, "xenomorph" wasn't meant to indicate the capital-A Aliens, it's a generic term for "unknown lifeform". And yet, it's become associated specifically with them.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Apr 26, 2014, 12:39:04 PM
Turpis Mater Coitus.

Heh heh heh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!  :laugh:

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 26, 2014, 05:31:31 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Apr 26, 2014, 11:21:25 AM

The funny part is, "xenomorph" wasn't meant to indicate the capital-A Aliens, it's a generic term for "unknown lifeform". And yet, it's become associated specifically with them.

Indeed, so ironically enough it could also be applied to the Predator.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Xenomorph Franchise as a whole then lol?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed