It's Official! Prey is Rated R!

Started by Engineer, May 17, 2022, 01:39:44 PM

Author
It's Official! Prey is Rated R! (Read 12,483 times)

SiL

SiL

Yeah there were plenty of reasons to be unsure.

Yautja888

Yautja888

The R rating was just necessary for a predator movie, another box checked.

blubby

blubby

in the original predator dutch assumes the predator doesn't kill unarmed because it wouldnt be "fun". to me thats really all we need as a motivation concerning the decisions of the predator regarding killing or not killing.

Master

Master

In Predator 2 Leona is armed but spared because of her state. There many rules I presume, how many are actually being taken into consideration? We don`t know.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: blubby on May 21, 2022, 07:57:46 PMin the original predator dutch assumes the predator doesn't kill unarmed because it wouldnt be "fun". to me thats really all we need as a motivation concerning the decisions of the predator regarding killing or not killing.

In what the Thomas Brothers called the Predator Bible, Predator 2, I'm sure it would have been more fun to take Harrigan's 'offer' of "who's next" and have another Predator fight Harrigan 1 on 1 until he's dead while the other Predators hoot & holler & cheer him on... but they didn't. :)

Thatguy2068

This post is very long but it's basically how I feel about this franchise at this moment so please be warned that it very long
Spoiler
Is it really sad that I don't feel any interest for this franchise anymore like I was hard-core back in like 2017 to 2019 but now I just feel like I could care less, Probably because we have been getting mediocre to bad new material over the years, with alien isolation and dark horse comics being the exception. The games we've been having recently like Alien Fireteam and Predator Hunting Grounds are fun but quickly died out because of the lack of content, The movies are like another story Prometheus and alien covenant are mediocre and seems to further twisted the alien legacy by having them being made by David, if he did they are very vague about this. The predator movies I would say has been questionable, Predators what is indeed decent but did have some questionable decisions but the predator is the straw that broke the camels back, they just ruined the predator lore and what they stand by making them from honorable hunters from space into a generic alien invaders, and also having this stupid plot that the big predator comes after a small autistic child... oh did I not mention there was an actual pedophile in a deleted scene who has been exposed with proof that he was interacting with a minor, no wonder they called this movie "The Predator". In the comics that are coming from Marvel's are so embarrassing, I haven't read the comics so I have no valuables for the story but what I can't say that the art style is The most insulting part about this with characters looking disjointed and off in every single angle to the aliens literally being traced over Neca toys, how does this man and Greg Land still has a job even though they have been exposed multiple times to be tracing over fan art and doing subpar work at their job. The new material from what I heard the new alien TV series aren't really pleasant to begin, with it being setting on earth it just rubs me the wrong way, The new predator movie looks fine but I don't really have a lot of hope over it I just generally don't care about this franchise anymore, it's generally depressing when I say that I really did care for this franchise back when I was younger the first two alien films were amoug the best in the franchise Hell I can even say in this genre they're still up there, and it saddens me that a franchise like that go down to a place where we are now, that's what happens when studios keeps on milking their products that goes to fox and disney on their own I still Love cartoon shows and movies but I do not stand by their actions. Really do wish that this franchise would pick itself up over the bad new material but will have to wait and see and it would probably never happen.
[close]

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

SiL

SiL

Paragraphs are a thing.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: funk_master_chunk on May 20, 2022, 10:44:54 PMI'm surprised people thought this was going to be anything other than R/18.

Even a 15 (not sure on the US equivalent, sorry!) would mean they probably couldn't show things like skinning, decapitations etc. - which are central elements to the story/antagonist.
R is roughly equivalent to the 15 rating here; Predators was rated 15 in the UK.

The closest rating to 18 in the US would be NC-17, and studios tend to want to avoid that because it means less $ in ticket revenue. But so far as I've seen a film has to go some way to get that rating with violence alone; it tends to be sexual stuff that earns a film the NC-17 rating.

It does make me laugh how American censors are so lenient on blood and gore but so uptight on sex and bad language. As if a pair of breasts are somehow more offensive than seeing someone getting skinned alive.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 23, 2022, 04:08:50 PMR is roughly equivalent to the 15 rating here; Predators was rated 15 in the UK.
Not always though, The Last Duel was rated R and got an 18 BBFC.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 23, 2022, 05:17:17 PMNot always though, The Last Duel was rated R and got an 18 BBFC.
Hence "roughly" :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Reportedly the orgy scenes where a bit too much for the BBFC folk...

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 23, 2022, 04:08:50 PMIt does make me laugh how American censors are so lenient on blood and gore but so uptight on sex and bad language. As if a pair of breasts are somehow more offensive than seeing someone getting skinned alive.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 23, 2022, 05:37:50 PMReportedly the orgy scenes where a bit too much for the BBFC folk...

Yeah, so it's not just the American censors (though European censors tend to be more lenient towards sexual content than America).  Apparently, a fella having a sword rammed down his throat is a-okay but a few naked ladies on a bed is beyond the pale.  It suggests some very unpleasant things about human nature that an act of love is deemed abhorrent but conversely an act of violence is  normalized within entertainment and accepted by the population at large as appropriate content for all the family (just look at sports such as boxing and wrestling ).

Highland

Highland

On the honour thing, I've mentioned this before on here, but in the back of the Original AVP comic it talks about the Predator designs and how the character was to be designed like a Maasai Warrior. So I think from the very start it was grounded in ritual. If you can call that honour I don't know, but it's clear they do it for reason, rather than pure kicks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed