New Entertainment Weekly Stills

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Apr 21, 2017, 04:28:15 PM

Author
New Entertainment Weekly Stills (Read 21,264 times)

rabidranger

Quote from: kwisatz on Apr 22, 2017, 09:04:23 PM
Quote from: rabidranger on Apr 21, 2017, 05:55:22 PM
Are the Engineers gathered for some sort of event in that domed structure or in response to the juggernaut showing up? It would be interesting if the former and David is making a statement ("I'm your God now"!).

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 21, 2017, 05:53:53 PM
Quote from: Enoch on Apr 21, 2017, 05:27:43 PM
As I said this place is some holy site on some kind of sacred planet if you will. I think those pseudo engineer humanoids are some kind of priests, and they are not the Engineers from the Prometheus. They are not Engineers at all.

For the 99th time: They are the Engineers and Ridley Scott is doing away with that storyline.

For the 99th time that's conjecture on your part.

Is anybody else getting a feeling there might be some Planet of the Apes type scenario going on (the original movie)?

Think of the "engineers" from Prometheus as humans nearly destroying their own ecosystem/society (no birds, no animals) and the "engineers" we are presented in Covenant as the survivors of this all, who just begun evolving from the ashes of this downfall. The city itself might be a combination of parts of the old culture and new elements build around.

Thats why when David arrives with the flying saucer (and i bet he is the one in control of that flying scorpion tail too) they are all drawn to the arenaesque plaza, cause they only seen anything like it on murals or heard of it in legends. Thats why they have no defence or anything like it either, or maybe the "have", but none of them is able to control what is left of something like a planetary defense system etc.

Or maybe they have seen things like that, maybe they even have build temples around it, but now for the first time they actually see one of it flying.

Passage of time then explains their different look. No longer being a space nation :D and no longer being able to use the biomechanical attachments their bodys began to look less bulky (gravity), thinner (roooids) and they are not that pale anymore either, cause they actually have to leave their house to put food on the table.

I was thinking the same thing. What we see of the Engineer civilization "today" is the culmination of some sort of catastrophic event from the past that caused the turning on/loss of technology and reverting to a simpler life. I mean, the Engineers as we know them could be the "gods" of this group. Mythical almost. It would explain David's actions. He's dealing with "fallen angels" who retain the potential for past exploits.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Yeah, I think the Engineers having been cross-bred over the millennia into hybridizing with the species they once seeded is actually an interesting idea worth thinking about or exploring onscreen in a proper cosmic epic story. But knowing Ridley it's something he'd toss off in an interview or a line on the commentary track as we watch David nuke 'em.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: rabidranger on Apr 22, 2017, 10:00:35 PM
Quote from: kwisatz on Apr 22, 2017, 09:04:23 PM
Quote from: rabidranger on Apr 21, 2017, 05:55:22 PM
Are the Engineers gathered for some sort of event in that domed structure or in response to the juggernaut showing up? It would be interesting if the former and David is making a statement ("I'm your God now"!).

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 21, 2017, 05:53:53 PM
Quote from: Enoch on Apr 21, 2017, 05:27:43 PM
As I said this place is some holy site on some kind of sacred planet if you will. I think those pseudo engineer humanoids are some kind of priests, and they are not the Engineers from the Prometheus. They are not Engineers at all.

For the 99th time: They are the Engineers and Ridley Scott is doing away with that storyline.

For the 99th time that's conjecture on your part.

Is anybody else getting a feeling there might be some Planet of the Apes type scenario going on (the original movie)?

Think of the "engineers" from Prometheus as humans nearly destroying their own ecosystem/society (no birds, no animals) and the "engineers" we are presented in Covenant as the survivors of this all, who just begun evolving from the ashes of this downfall. The city itself might be a combination of parts of the old culture and new elements build around.

Thats why when David arrives with the flying saucer (and i bet he is the one in control of that flying scorpion tail too) they are all drawn to the arenaesque plaza, cause they only seen anything like it on murals or heard of it in legends. Thats why they have no defence or anything like it either, or maybe the "have", but none of them is able to control what is left of something like a planetary defense system etc.

Or maybe they have seen things like that, maybe they even have build temples around it, but now for the first time they actually see one of it flying.

Passage of time then explains their different look. No longer being a space nation :D and no longer being able to use the biomechanical attachments their bodys began to look less bulky (gravity), thinner (roooids) and they are not that pale anymore either, cause they actually have to leave their house to put food on the table.

I was thinking the same thing. What we see of the Engineer civilization "today" is the culmination of some sort of catastrophic event from the past that caused the turning on/loss of technology and reverting to a simpler life. I mean, the Engineers as we know them could be the "gods" of this group. Mythical almost. It would explain David's actions. He's dealing with "fallen angels" who retain the potential for past exploits.

"They don't deserve to start again, and I'm not going to let them."

Is that quote confirmed? Would definitely fit.

QuoteHe's dealing with "fallen angels" who retain the potential for past exploits.

There might be more Prometheus to Covenant than one think: if what you assume is true these beings have re-established a condition for their society one could call Paradise-like. But instead of leaving them alone, God is punishing them again for quite literally creating mankind, just like Prometheus is being subjected for eternal punishment.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Predaker reminded me in the other thread (which, yikes) that David was apparently referring to humanity with that line - i.e., humanity starting out in the stars, colonizing with the Covenant.

But the idea of the Engineers being reduced to the quasi-agrarian society suggested in the pictures as a kind of analogy for divine punishment is a very interesting idea.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 22, 2017, 10:34:19 PM
Predaker reminded me in the other thread (which, yikes) that David was apparently referring to humanity with that line - i.e., humanity starting out in the stars, colonizing with the Covenant.

But the idea of the Engineers being reduced to the quasi-agrarian society suggested in the pictures as a kind of analogy for divine punishment is a very interesting idea.

Ah ok, but humanity isnt really re-starting, arent they? Unless ok he means the process of seeding life, which they somehow repeat by colonizing okok.. But that would definitely imply that David makes no difference in agency when it comes to engineers/humans. Humans then deserve to die because their "fathers" have ++++ it up millenias ago, and they dont get their own take on things.Thats in line with the mythical approach i guess.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: kwisatz on Apr 22, 2017, 10:52:52 PM
Ah ok, but humanity isnt really re-starting, arent they? Unless ok he means the process of seeding life, which they somehow repeat by colonizing okok..

My (limited) understanding is that he's referring to the Covenant expedition, which I think the crew has said is the first deep-space colonization project. Much has been made in the trailers, the Last Supper, the promos etc. of this being humanity's next big leap forward, starting a new 'life' in the frontier, a new future for humanity, etc etc. David's comments appear to be a response to that.

QuoteBut that would definitely imply that David makes no difference in agency when it comes to engineers/humans. Humans then deserve to die because their "fathers" have ++++ it up millenias ago, and they dont get their own take on things.Thats in line with the mythical approach i guess.

I think he's also accounting for his own experience with Peter Weyland, who he loved/hated and who I think is his basis for how he views humans.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: kwisatz on Apr 22, 2017, 10:52:52 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 22, 2017, 10:34:19 PM

Ah ok, but humanity isnt really re-starting, arent they? Unless ok he means the process of seeding life, which they somehow repeat by colonizing okok.. But that would definitely imply that David makes no difference in agency when it comes to engineers/humans. Humans then deserve to die because their "fathers" have ++++ it up millenias ago, and they dont get their own take on things.Thats in line with the mythical approach i guess.

Here is more of the dialogue that goes with that quote from David.

Spoiler
"The gods have rejected mankind as cruel, weak and full of greed," ... "They are a dying species, grasping for resurrection. So they are leaving the earth forever."

He continues, "But their power is an illusion. They don't deserve to start again, and I'm not going to let them."
[close]

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Yep. Covenant.

Predaker

Predaker

I bet he says that to Walter. Should be good!

kwisatz

kwisatz

Thanks for the quotes, Predaker.

Come to think about it, i really wonder if David perceives himself as a sort of lifeform, the only one worth existing no doubt. But wouldnt it then be more logical for him to try to replicate himself, rather than experimenting in the biological camp again (just like the engineers did). He obviously doesnt consider himself as being imperfect at all and with all the technology surrounding him he sure should be able to produce more Davids? I mean if weak cruel dying decadent humanity could build him..

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 22, 2017, 07:31:24 PMDoin' it.

I spy with my darting little eye, a jolly good man.  :)

Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Apr 22, 2017, 09:36:04 PMAnd so thou shall.

?!

I fear you've lost me.  Follow my own advice, is that it?  Sorry if I'm reading that wrong.  I should care to ask for clarification.  Many thanks.

rabidranger

It's interesting that the Engineers never finished the job of nuking Earth.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: St_Eddie on Apr 22, 2017, 11:36:36 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 22, 2017, 07:31:24 PMDoin' it.

I spy with my darting little eye, a jolly good man.  :)

Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Apr 22, 2017, 09:36:04 PMAnd so thou shall.

?!

I fear you've lost me.  Follow my own advice, is that it?  Sorry if I'm reading that wrong.  I should care to ask for clarification.  Many thanks.
:)

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Quote from: rabidranger on Apr 22, 2017, 11:49:08 PM
It's interesting that the Engineers never finished the job of nuking Earth.

Not for lack of trying
Spoiler
if the Life and Death comics are taken into consideration.
[close]

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: St_Eddie on Apr 22, 2017, 11:36:36 PM

Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Apr 22, 2017, 09:36:04 PM
:)

Okay, I see.  However, to the best of my knowledge, I haven't actually dismissed anybodies thoughts, nor have I been insulting in conversation (certainly not in recent memory, at any rate) but okay, fair enough.  Duly noted.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed