J.W. Rinzler's "The Making of Alien"

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Dec 11, 2018, 11:10:33 PM

Author
J.W. Rinzler's "The Making of Alien" (Read 50,322 times)

Mr. Clemens

The postman is on his way upstairs with mine!

Darwinsgirl

Lucky Devil!  ;)

Mr. Clemens

It's in my hands now. Sleek, heavy, and gorgeous.  :)

I have to say I love the cover to pieces. They could have gone with the tired old black n' green motif, but this white is really stylish, classy, and harkens back to the old '79 movie poster.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

MISTER Clemens, I feel like cutting you in half!  :P

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 24, 2019, 07:28:10 PM
MISTER Clemens, I feel like cutting you in half!  :P

"I'm sorry, I don't think I understand..."  :P

Just had a quick flip through. Some thoughts:

• Lots of technical set drawings, which are tons of fun.
  • Most of the art by the principal designers we've seen, but there are lots of new things from people who aren't Giger, Cobb, Foss, or Scott.
  • There's a new quote from Walt Simonson about having seen the 'box alien', and being told it was in the picture (this was in a sidebar - I don't know yet if there's anything about ol' boxy in the main text.)

Can't wait to give it a proper read!

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Jul 23, 2019, 10:02:42 AM
    Was expecting this to be pretty pricey but found it for A$63 with free shipping. Sold.
    UK Book Depository?

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jul 24, 2019, 05:51:15 PM
    It's in my hands now. Sleek, heavy, and gorgeous.  :)

I have to say I love the cover to pieces. They could have gone with the tired old black n' green motif, but this white is really stylish, classy, and harkens back to the old '79 movie poster.
    Please post some images. I'm waiting for the inevitable "page flip through" YouTube video.  ;D

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jul 24, 2019, 07:59:55 PM
    • There's a new quote from Walt Simonson about having seen the 'box alien', and being told it was in the picture (this was in a sidebar - I don't know yet if there's anything about ol' boxy in the main text.)
    When you have the time, check to see if the Walter Simonson quote is new or borrowed from the ALIEN: The Illustrated Story - Art Edition (2012). I'm assuming you have this publication.

Prez

Prez

VERY PISSED OFF!!
    Just got word from Booktopia my order is on backorder now. This after putting in an order over several months ago.
    Second time this has happened.

Gonna get a reimbursement and never use them again.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Prez on Jul 25, 2019, 12:56:09 AM
    VERY PISSED OFF!!
    Just got word from Booktopia my order is on backorder now. This after putting in an order over several months ago.

I pre-ordered back in December, and probably won't get it until early August. A very long wait for someone as impatient as myself. I hope the book is worth it.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jul 25, 2019, 01:13:48 AM
    Quote from: Prez on Jul 25, 2019, 12:56:09 AM
    VERY PISSED OFF!!

I pre-ordered back in December, and probably won't get it until early August. A very long wait for someone as impatient as myself. I hope the book is worth it.

Likewise pre-ordered back in December. I expressed my disappointment to Booktopia and also asked for an explanation (fully aware the fault may lay elsewhere but given it's the second time it's happened ... hmmm).

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

I just ordered this from Amazon after reading Mr. Clemens post . Thank you Mr. C. I wanted to be sure there was enough new facts to purchase it.

Hope your copies ship quickly Prez & Elmazalman.

P.S.

I just read the review. It sounds amazing.  8) I was so pleased the reviewer is a fan that would recognize new material. Thank you  for posting it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Elmazalman

The split screen is extremely annoying. I was hoping to see more of the book too. I can't wait to get my copies.

Drukathi

Is there in this book Giger's Space Jockey and Derelict (aerodynamic bone) arts? If yes - what is the size of these images?

Darwinsgirl

I liked the written review. It gave more details. And the images weren't that visible in the video(I was viewing it on my phone) so that may be from that. Several of the full page illustrations I recognize from Ron Cobb's book "Color Vision". Maybe those are variations of rhe ones in Ron's book?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
    Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed