J.W. Rinzler's "The Making of Alien"

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Dec 11, 2018, 11:10:33 PM

Author
J.W. Rinzler's "The Making of Alien" (Read 49,169 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 22, 2019, 02:50:55 PMI suppose right now I'm writing it on spec. I was talking to Titan Books back in... 2016/17 when I was first putting this together and they were seeking to publish Alien projects, but after a while Rinzler's book took precedence over there; they couldn't justify publishing both books. However they told me to feel free to seek other publishers, they gave me their blessing to do so. Right now my focus is finishing the book and making it the best it can be. I want it to blow my blog out of the water, but I was always writing for myself first and foremost. Hopefully you guys can tear into it one day soon.

By the time you finish it, they might decide it's been a long enough gap they'll publish it anyway :P

I always got a kick out of you blog. Even if the book's no more informative than that it'd be a must-but for me.

I forget, does the book solely examine the first film, or multiple films?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 22, 2019, 03:33:41 PM
Even if the book's no more informative than that it'd be a must-but for me.

Do you realize how hard it is not to tease you over this sentence?  ;D

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 22, 2019, 03:33:41 PM
I forget, does the book solely examine the first film, or multiple films?

It's entirely ALIEN, but also examines all the creative principles involved and SF a little more generally. If people like it, I'd write another on ALIENS, then ALIEN 3 with the same approach. I'd happily do that for the rest of my life tbh, but I have to earn a living at some point (the hardest challenge doing this is doing it poor, which means I'm necessarily doing it part-time, entirely on my dime.)

Maybe in the future, when the book's nearer completion, I'll have AVPG host the introduction or something, so folks can sample before buying.

Voodoo Magic

A full preview chapter would likely draw in anyone on the fence. :)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 22, 2019, 03:37:41 PMDo you realize how hard it is not to tease you over this sentence?  ;D

If I had a quid for every time my phone's autocorrect decided to change a perfectly valid word to another that doesn't make any sense...

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 22, 2019, 03:42:52 PMIf people like it, I'd write another on ALIENS, then ALIEN 3 with the same approach.

We'd like :)

But yeah, on a serious note, best of luck with the project. Look forward to seeing it come out!

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 22, 2019, 03:42:52 PM
Maybe in the future, when the book's nearer completion, I'll have AVPG host the introduction or something, so folks can sample before buying.

Seeing a preview would be great.  8) Though I would still buy it either way. As I enjoy your articles they are so well written and researched. I am so looking forward to the day your book is published.

Valaquen

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Jul 22, 2019, 04:31:50 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 22, 2019, 03:42:52 PM

Seeing a preview would be great.  8) Though I would still buy it either way. As I enjoy your articles they are so well written and researched. I am so looking forward to the day your book is published.

I know you've been waiting years, apologies! I hope it's worth it  ;D

Darwinsgirl

I'm sure it will be. ;D  Research is something that can't be rushed.

"Think of all we can learn from it..." ;)

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 22, 2019, 04:34:09 PM
I know you've been waiting years, apologies! I hope it's worth it  ;D
Don't rush the pot! :)  It will certainly benefit from a good simmer...

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 22, 2019, 02:20:50 PM
My brother gave me his old phone and Hicks walked me through setting up Skype. I'll shoot you an e-mail and tell you why  8)
No excuses necessary, younger brother. Just a little bit of friendly ribbing to let you know I care. :)

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed, I'm sure it's worth the wait for release.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

According to Amazon delivery is expected Monday, 2 Sep.-Monday, 21 Oct....

Also down as unavailable on Forbidden Planet.

SiL

SiL

Was expecting this to be pretty pricey but found it for A$63 with free shipping. Sold.

MrEModels

Been eagerly awaiting the book, had it on pre-order from AmazonUK for quite a while now, looking forward to the postman delivering it yesterday but... not only did it not come, all i got on the day was an email from Amazon saying the delivery date has been rescheduled to Sept-Oct!
That's can't be right can it?
Anyone else got the message? Or, indeed got the book?

Corporal Hicks

Seems to be a stocking issue in the UK. Forbidden Planet has it down as releasing on the 26th.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/266146-the-making-of-alien/

Nightmare Asylum

Made the mistake of not switching my Amazon preorder over to Prime (Just got Prime this month), so my copy isn't going to be in 'til early August, apparently.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed