J.W. Rinzler's "The Making of Alien"

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Dec 11, 2018, 11:10:33 PM

Author
J.W. Rinzler's "The Making of Alien" (Read 49,799 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Ten more years for the most comprehensive Alien chronicle... Alright!

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 13, 2018, 09:32:25 PM
I want an audiobook of Valaquen's, read by the author himself.

Darwinsgirl

^

5 Stars!  * * * * *

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I dinnae ken. I'm swithering whether ye'll understand a right word he says.  :-\

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 20, 2019, 11:32:15 AM300+ pages, and I could still write another 300. Things keep turning up, new versions of the script are passed to me, and I have a couple of interviews lined up that are seriously cool... but I can't talk about them  :-X

Nice!

Xenomrph

Just got a notification from Amazon that my copy has shipped.

Valaquen

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 20, 2019, 09:20:43 PM
I dinnae ken. I'm swithering whether ye'll understand a right word he says.  :-\

:laugh: I Skyped with good ole Corporal Hicks last week and surprisingly he understood me  :o

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

You've misled me for years. I was to assume you had an unintelligible accent. Lies.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 21, 2019, 11:08:42 PM
Just got a notification from Amazon that my copy has shipped.

It's supposed to be out tomorrow. I haven't received my shipping notice yet.  :-\

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 22, 2019, 07:55:13 AM
You've misled me for years. I was to assume you had unintelligible accent. Lies.

:laugh: To be fair I spoke as slowly and intelligbly as I could. I'm from the east coast and even other Scots find my dialect weird. Get a drink on me and try to keep up  :P

Local Trouble

I want the Scotch whisky edition of your audiobook.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 20, 2019, 11:32:15 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 20, 2019, 08:13:54 AM
Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 19, 2019, 03:46:11 PMIf you can wait til ALIEN's 50th you can buy mine  :laugh:

How's your book coming along?

[...] new versions of the script are passed to me [...]
You have my complete attention, sir!

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 22, 2019, 02:53:06 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 20, 2019, 09:20:43 PM

:laugh: I Skyped with good ole Corporal Hicks last week and surprisingly he understood me  :o
And all I got was a lot of whingeing about not having the right equipment! 🤣. I've been robbed! 😉

Valaquen

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 22, 2019, 01:51:41 PM
I want the Scotch whisky edition of your audiobook.

I'll have to start drinking again  :laugh:

Quote from: FenGiddel on Jul 22, 2019, 01:56:37 PM
You have my complete attention, sir!

:laugh: ;)

And all I got was a lot of whingeing about not having the right equipment! 🤣. I've been robbed! 😉

My brother gave me his old phone and Hicks walked me through setting up Skype. I'll shoot you an e-mail and tell you why  8)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Valaquen on Jul 19, 2019, 03:46:11 PMIf you can wait til ALIEN's 50th you can buy mine  :laugh:

300+ pages, and I could still write another 300. Things keep turning up, new versions of the script are passed to me, and I have a couple of interviews lined up that are seriously cool... but I can't talk about them  :-X

Wow, I'm trying to imagine the thought of 600 pages. That would be really something!

Will this be Unauthorized? If so, I hope you've done your research and the powers that be, let you be. Once in a while I read of non-fiction Marvel or Star Wars unauthorized book getting hit with infringment charges. I don't know if they're valid claims or not, but just the threat of litigation can squash an independent writer. I guess when a rights holder puts out their own non-fiction books, they can see unauthorized books as a threat to their revenue. And corporations are very protective of their money- making franchises these days.

Valaquen

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 22, 2019, 02:35:52 PM

300+ pages, and I could still write another 300. Things keep turning up, new versions of the script are passed to me, and I have a couple of interviews lined up that are seriously cool... but I can't talk about them  :-X

Wow, I'm trying to imagine the thought of 600 pages. That would be really something!

Will this be Unauthorized? If so, I hope you've done your research and the powers that be, let you be. Once in a while I read of non-fiction Marvel or Star Wars unauthorized book getting hit with infringment charges. I don't know if they're valid claims or not, but just the threat of litigation can squash an independent writer. I guess when a rights holder puts out their own non-fiction books, they can see unauthorized books as a threat to their revenue. And corporations are very protective of their money- making franchises these days.

Right now it''s 300 pages, A4, so in book form the page count might be higher :o I try to be as concise as possible (you'd have to ask Sil, SM or Hicks for their opinion, they've read an early extract).

I suppose right now I'm writing it on spec. I was talking to Titan Books back in... 2016/17 when I was first putting this together and they were seeking to publish Alien projects, but after a while Rinzler's book took precedence over there; they couldn't justify publishing both books. However they told me to feel free to seek other publishers, they gave me their blessing to do so. Right now my focus is finishing the book and making it the best it can be. I want it to blow my blog out of the water, but I was always writing for myself first and foremost. Hopefully you guys can tear into it one day soon.

Voodoo Magic

Ah, a blessing from Titan seems a good thing to have in the ol' proverbial back pocket!

Hicks, SM and SiL are good company to bounce it off against. I might take a stab and add Elmazalman to that Alien feedback group as well.

I look forward to following its development! :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed