Any news on Noomi Rapace?

Started by x-M-x, Dec 18, 2015, 06:56:41 PM

Author
Any news on Noomi Rapace? (Read 48,090 times)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 01, 2016, 02:36:02 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 01, 2016, 02:34:50 PMYou can certainly have a good story which features nostalgia.  The problem is that the studios don't seem to be focused on good storytelling.

...which is exactly what predxeno said?

He said nostalgia is more important to studios than good storytelling.  I think the two are unrelated.  You can have a very good nostalgia driven story with good storytelling.  The studios are basically allowing storytelling to take second place behind many other aspects.  Particularly the science fiction genre is driven by special effects.  Story telling takes a back seat to that as well.  Hollywood will literally tell 3 or 4 tales with stories that truly grip you per year, and those are then pushed for Oscar nominations.  Seems like everything else is fodder and filler.  They basically have a formula which calculates how many people they can expect to attend the movies.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 01, 2016, 03:06:14 PMHe said nostalgia is more important to studios than good storytelling. ... The studios are basically allowing storytelling to take second place behind many other aspects.

???

Which is basically the exact same point.

The studios are throwing in tons of nostalgia because it's an easier way to get butts on seats then developing a decent story, but it's to the detriment of the films.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

No its not to the detriment of the films.  By your definition, nostalgia = bad storytelling.  Nostalgia can create a terrific framework for good stories.  It all comes down to the commitment of the studios to put out good stories, which does not seem to be there, regardless of nostalgia.  But that goes for 95% of the films out there.  I bet some really great stories could be told with nostalgic references.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 01, 2016, 03:35:24 PMBy your definition, nostalgia = bad storytelling.

When did either of us ever say that?

We said nostalgia =/= a suitable replacement for storytelling, which is how the studios seem to be playing it more often than not.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 01, 2016, 03:56:02 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 01, 2016, 03:35:24 PMBy your definition, nostalgia = bad storytelling.

When did either of us ever say that?

We said nostalgia =/= a suitable replacement for storytelling, which is how the studios seem to be playing it more often than not.

You said throwing in tons of Nostalgia is to the detriment of the films.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Care to quote me?

I simply agreed that "we certainly live in an era where nostalgia is more important to studios than good storytelling."

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think he's referring to this post.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 01, 2016, 03:13:05 PM
The studios are throwing in tons of nostalgia because it's an easier way to get butts on seats then developing a decent story, but it's to the detriment of the films.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 01, 2016, 04:21:25 PM
I think he's referring to this post.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 01, 2016, 03:13:05 PM

Yes that is what I am referring to.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

But that's not saying the nostalgia itself is the problem. It's saying the problem is the studios' focus on that nostalgia at the expense of the story.

People may go and see the movie because of that nostalgia, but that doesn't make it a good movie. It doesn't necessarily make it a bad one, either, of course. But it certainly doesn't help when nostalgia is the only substance the film has.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Basically Nostalgia can be much like special effects.  You can make a spectacle that reaches the limits of the imagination, but if there is no good story to justify it, then the film will fall flat.  I mean I literally fell asleep at the last Transformers film.  There was just a whirring mess of special effects on the screen and no story to grab hold of.  But I am saying that the use of nostalgia or special effects does not by nature affect the quality of the story telling.  The lack thereof is more to do with poor storytelling Hollywood in general.  Films that don't rely on nostalgia or special effects are just as bad storywise.  I'd say there's really no relation to the use of nostalgia or special effects.  Just seemingly a bunch of hacks writing the stories...

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 01, 2016, 04:46:01 PMBut I am saying that the use of nostalgia or special effects does not by nature affect the quality of the story telling.

And we never claimed it did. Basically, I completely agree. We're just saying the nostalgia binge is just strong with Hollywood at the moment, and currently nostalgia seems to be the go-to medium to try and cover for the fact you have a weak story.

A few years ago I would've argued CGI was the big offender in that regard.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Fine, then let's agree to agree.   ;)

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 31, 2016, 03:36:41 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 31, 2016, 06:37:55 AM
Her character was stupid and uninteresting. The whole religion angle, especially, of her character is very old hat and boring. I'll be glad if they quietly shuffle her off stage in the opening credits. Just my opinion.

Noomi seems like a decent enough actress but yeah, her character was really just a bit silly and boring really.

She is a very good actress, which makes it doubly sad, because she can do strong characters and very physical acting. That side of her, however, just wasn't there in Prometheus - they made her appear like a childish twit.

windebieste

windebieste

Noomi was great in 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', in terms of 'Prometheus', she was just given the wrong material.

I know people will point the finger at Lindeloff but really, it's the Director that needs to pick up on weaknesses within all parts of the Production and address them. Scott really should have pulled his finger out on that one.

He could have had a great character on screen, if the actor was given the right material (or even the wrong material) and directed well.

As it stands, Shaw comes across as vapid and ineffective. Noomi could have really brought a great character to life given the right conditions. This movie wasn't it.

-Windebieste.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 02, 2016, 08:05:34 AM
Noomi was great in 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', in terms of 'Prometheus', she was just given the wrong material.

I know people will point the finger at Lindeloff but really, it's the Director that needs to pick up on weaknesses within all parts of the Production and address them. Scott really should have pulled his finger out on that one.

He could have had a great character on screen, if the actor was given the right material (or even the wrong material) and directed well.

As it stands, Shaw comes across as vapid and ineffective. Noomi could have really brought a great character to life given the right conditions. This movie wasn't it.

-Windebieste.

It's clear to me, from how religiously I followed PROMETHEUS during its development, that the actors and crew were working long before they had a shooting script. Those Lindeloff rewrites to the script they were hired and designing from, were fairly drastic and I think the timing of that hurt the final product because of the layered nature of the rewrite's content... IE; its loftier ideas, as introduced by Lindeloff so late into PREPRODUCTION, I Assistant Direct, and it's just a very bad idea to have a rewrite like that in the midst of having made so much progress already. The atmosphere on a Production at a time like that, for ideas like that, its just not good timing. They just couldn't think things through well enough and there was too much already in place to be properly objective about what had to change to make room for the new ideas and which old ideas were better.
I blame this for all of PROMETHEUS's short-comings.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Feb 01, 2016, 04:46:01 PM
Basically Nostalgia can be much like special effects.  You can make a spectacle that reaches the limits of the imagination, but if there is no good story to justify it, then the film will fall flat.  I mean I literally fell asleep at the last Transformers film.  There was just a whirring mess of special effects on the screen and no story to grab hold of.  But I am saying that the use of nostalgia or special effects does not by nature affect the quality of the story telling.  The lack thereof is more to do with poor storytelling Hollywood in general.  Films that don't rely on nostalgia or special effects are just as bad storywise.  I'd say there's really no relation to the use of nostalgia or special effects.  Just seemingly a bunch of hacks writing the stories...

Let's write responses with nostalgia for the time when we weren't talking about nostalgia as much. ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed