Alien Covenant?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 13, 2015, 09:16:21 AM

Author
Alien Covenant? (Read 29,811 times)

Mustangjeff

Mustangjeff

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 17, 2015, 12:45:34 AM
Quote from: Mustangjeff on Nov 17, 2015, 12:39:11 AM
Is it possible that this prequel actually happens in the far off future (wouldn't that be a kick in the head)?

I'm hoping the goon who wrote the synopsis was going for dramatic effect, but IMO this is cringe worthy

"Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy"

The Milky Way is about 120,000 LY in diameter.  The earth is about 75,000 LY from the far side of the galaxy.

To contrast :  Zeta Reticuli is approximately 39 LY from earth, and it took The Prometheus 2 years to get there. 

If you want to tell me that a Juggernaut can travel tens of thousands of light years in a short period of time, I will buy it.  But..  it would take the Prometheus 5000 years to travel that far.  I don't see a colony ship of the same era doing any better.  Keep in mind that there are only 28 years between the destruction off the Prometheus and the events in ALIEN.

disclaimer : tongue in cheek :)

A thought just occurred to me, what if "on the far side of the galaxy" they mean on our side? Seeing as Earth isn't exactly close to the centre of the Milky Way, they could be talking about the opposite end of the other side, on the far end of our end of the galaxy so to speak.

Wouldn't that be, "Bound for a remote planet on the near side of the galaxy" ?

It just doesn't have that dramatic flavor

In all seriousness.  A very cool destination for paradise would be Tau Sagittarii.

This was a nearest star to a signal that Seti picked up in 1977 known as the WOW! signal.  I think it was even used in some half-arsed Weylund industries website pre-movie puzzle games.

Tau Sagittarii is 122 LY away, so about 4x further from earth than Zeta Reticuli.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Nov 16, 2015, 08:06:04 PM
I think the clue is the fact Covenant is a colony ship. I wonder if David somehow makes a deal with the Engineers to bring human hosts to paradise in order for them to realise a new biological weapon. Perhaps Shaw is the progenitor for these experiments?

The possibilities are endless really...

Why bother when they can just make more of us?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 17, 2015, 01:27:40 AM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Nov 16, 2015, 08:06:04 PM
I think the clue is the fact Covenant is a colony ship. I wonder if David somehow makes a deal with the Engineers to bring human hosts to paradise in order for them to realise a new biological weapon. Perhaps Shaw is the progenitor for these experiments?

The possibilities are endless really...

Why bother when they can just make more of us?
Cause all of us put together isn't worth the sacrifice of another engineer. Yep that's the only way it works in engineer land. Anything else would be beneath them.

Still if anyone remembers the space map thing from the engineer pilot chamber...what was that called again? Orrey or something. All the systems seemed to be self contained. Perhaps leaving that zone was to protect us form the horrors of space.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Maybe the COVENANT or at least the connection between this film and ALIEN, has something to do with why the Androids seem to be so fascinated by the xeno.

Randomizer

Randomizer

Quote from: Randomizer on Nov 15, 2015, 06:10:41 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 15, 2015, 01:55:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Nov 15, 2015, 01:54:08 PM
In my mind, Alien: Paradise always conjures images of an alien reclining in a hammock under a palm tree and sipping a piña colada.  :D

We need someone to draw that picture lol

Spoiler
Our lord and savior, Paint !

[close]

My drawing is now irrelevant, damnit ! :P

Although I love the direction they're going on with, I'll have a hard time getting used to the new name.

It's not Halo, it's not Halo, it's not...... .

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Randomizer on Nov 18, 2015, 05:23:51 PM
Quote from: Randomizer on Nov 15, 2015, 06:10:41 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 15, 2015, 01:55:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Nov 15, 2015, 01:54:08 PM
In my mind, Alien: Paradise always conjures images of an alien reclining in a hammock under a palm tree and sipping a piña colada.  :D

We need someone to draw that picture lol

Spoiler
Our lord and savior, Paint !

[close]

My drawing is now irrelevant, damnit ! :P

Although I love the direction they're going on with, I'll have a hard time getting used to the new name.

It's not Halo, it's not Halo, it's not...... .

You just need to have his feet up on the Ark of the Covenant now lol

Mustangjeff

Mustangjeff

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 18, 2015, 05:32:47 AM
Maybe the COVENANT or at least the connection between this film and ALIEN, has something to do with why the Androids seem to be so fascinated by the xeno.

The only trouble is the timeline.  There is 28 years between Prometheus and Alien.  That isn't a lot of time for David and the Covenant ship to get to the planet "on the far side of the galaxy", have nasty stuff go down, and news/info get back to Weylans-Yutani so they put Ash on the Nostromo to obtain a specimen.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Mustangjeff on Nov 18, 2015, 05:41:41 PM

The only trouble is the timeline.  There is 28 years between Prometheus and Alien.  That isn't a lot of time for David and the Covenant ship to get to the planet "on the far side of the galaxy", have nasty stuff go down, and news/info get back to Weylans-Yutani so they put Ash on the Nostromo to obtain a specimen.

It's totally ok if you use PFM.

Mustangjeff

Mustangjeff

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 18, 2015, 06:23:06 PM

Is that like Petyr Baelish's teleporter/rocket pack?

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Mustangjeff on Nov 18, 2015, 08:36:25 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 18, 2015, 06:23:06 PM

Is that like Petyr Baelish's teleporter/rocket pack?

PFM is "Pure f**king Magic".  I'm actually quoting Syd Mead here.  About a decade ago I was at a seminar of his in Detroit where he used that term over and over during his presentation.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

He used it on the nose art for Smart Ass, the second dropship Bishop flies in Aliens. "We aim by P.F.M."

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I can see myself running around saying PFM quite a lot now.  :P

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

No way!  I never noticed that.  There I thought PFM was one of Syd Mead's passing ideas at the time but it looks like he's been doing PFM for decades now!  Who knew?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Someone needs to inform Blomkamp that he doesn't need all those aiming attachments for the pulse rifle anymore.

They come with built-in PFM aiming!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed