The Game's Development Story Discussion

Started by Salt The Fries, Feb 08, 2013, 08:18:47 PM

Author
The Game's Development Story Discussion (Read 101,430 times)

MR EL1M1NATOR

Jive mothers.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 17, 2013, 07:43:48 PM
Quote from: Dusk on Feb 17, 2013, 07:40:02 PM
Alright, I need more info.

Del Toro pretty much takes up a movie, only to somehow drop it, and work on something else and one other thing. Take for instance his desire to make At The Mountains of Madness. He basically has stopped work on that and now he's working on Pacific Rim, producing a Hulk TV show, making a video game, developing a sequel to Pacific Rim, etc. He's sort-of-not-working on other projects, not sure where his Frankenstein movie is at nowadays, but I don't think any work has been done on that for a while now. Recently he was going to do Pinocchio, but I think that was dropped as well...there's a few more examples, but I think I've made my point.
He stopped working on At the Mountains of Madness because publishing studios didn't like his budget plans and wanted him to produce a PG13 film, which he didn't want to do. And then Prometheus came out with similar themes, so Del Toro has stopped his work on the film completely.

Xenomorphine

It restarted. He basically saw 'Prometheus', realised it wasn't nearly as close as to what he planned as had been feared and pretty much went, "F**k it," then started production back up.

Dusk

The other 2 projects on his plate. The Hulk TV Show isn't up to him, until Marvel finally gives it the green light. Which I hope they don't. You can't create an awesome Hulk on a TV budget. And his Video game? THQ wouldn't back him because they were short on cash, and are now gone.

Xenoscream

I hope Gearbox gets sued.

I remember all that time ago talk of a immersive co-op experience, no HUD, squad based game play... all too good to be true.

I played borderlands 1, to be honest it was fun, but I really didn't think it lived up to the hype,. I was thinking about getting borderlands 2 but now, despite the fact I think I would enjoy it, I'll be damned before I buy another gearbox game.

Lying scum.

And as for Del Toro, cut the guy some slack, he basically had a couple of years of his life wasted waiting for the hobbit to start, I think it's understandable that he's taking a more cautious approach to projects after that. And as someone already said, the man makes good shit.

Syrus2005

Syrus2005

Hi everyone,
Please like that Page:. https://www.facebook.com/Petition4ACM?ref=stream.
And don't forget to tell everyone who is not satisfied with the game...That means everyone :p

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 18, 2013, 12:24:57 AM
It restarted. He basically saw 'Prometheus', realised it wasn't nearly as close as to what he planned as had been feared and pretty much went, "F**k it," then started production back up.
Awesome. That's fantastic news as At the Mountains of Madness is pretty amazing and deserves a film adaptation.

redxavier

I too hope SEGA sues Gearbox, but I also hope that is a wakeup call for the gaming press. We've seen numerous articles now about the false advertising of the game, let's see this have consequence on the future dealings Gearbox and Pitchford have within the gaming industry. I want to see websites like IGN and Gamespot refuse to print previews for Gearbox games.

Let this be an end of 'bullshots' and have the gaming press develop a backbone. No more embargos too.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Feb 18, 2013, 11:38:05 PM
Awesome. That's fantastic news as At the Mountains of Madness is pretty amazing and deserves a film adaptation.

"I saw it finally and... Yes, there are things in common, but, you know, screw it. Lovecraft was there first."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=72246

Presently being discussed over at:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=43247.60

Elicas

Quote from: redxavier on Feb 19, 2013, 12:13:45 AM
I too hope SEGA sues Gearbox, but I also hope that is a wakeup call for the gaming press. We've seen numerous articles now about the false advertising of the game, let's see this have consequence on the future dealings Gearbox and Pitchford have within the gaming industry. I want to see websites like IGN and Gamespot refuse to print previews for Gearbox games.

Let this be an end of 'bullshots' and have the gaming press develop a backbone. No more embargos too.

Not gonna happen. Those same websites will be sucking his dick over Borderlands 3 in a year or so, knowing that if they don't bend over they won't get any exclusive interviews, early previews etc. etc. So many Gearbox fanboys/Borederlands sheep will buy their next game no matter what because "yay Borderlands/BIA" that this will ultimately have little to no impact whatsoever on Gearbox or the industry as a whole.

Just look at this time, when people were never going to trust them after DNF.

SpeedyMaxx

I didn't trust them after that.

Elicas

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Feb 19, 2013, 08:25:17 AM
I didn't trust them after that.

Congratulations, you'll probably be one amongst every ten, possibly even hundred thousand fans. Even if ten thousand of us didn't buy the game because of DNF, with 300,000 pre-orders i'm very sure they don't really give a f**k.

Too many sheep out there for our voices to either be heard, or to really matter.

redxavier

Quote from: Elicas on Feb 19, 2013, 01:04:42 AM
Not gonna happen. Those same websites will be sucking his dick over Borderlands 3 in a year or so, knowing that if they don't bend over they won't get any exclusive interviews, early previews etc. etc.

Then we are lost, because those are the only people (except Sega's lawyers) who have any power to 'punish' Gearbox and make this whole affair more than just the controversy de jour.

Elicas

Quote from: redxavier on Feb 19, 2013, 10:09:52 AM
Quote from: Elicas on Feb 19, 2013, 01:04:42 AM
Not gonna happen. Those same websites will be sucking his dick over Borderlands 3 in a year or so, knowing that if they don't bend over they won't get any exclusive interviews, early previews etc. etc.

Then we are lost, because those are the only people (except Sega's lawyers) who have any power to 'punish' Gearbox and make this whole affair more than just the controversy de jour.

Of course, that's how the industry works. Give bad reviews to developer/publisher X too many times and you lose out on early preview/review code which means you lose out on many of your general casual readership who want to know about the latest shiney, thus you'll typically end up either A: going out of business or B: sacking the reviewer who gave the bad scores. For eg. the whole Kane and Lynch fiasco, think it was with Gamespot.

It even happens with fansites you know, I've written MMO tanking for a few down the years such as TankTelara and Force Junkies, and we always see a big spike in our readership whenever we're given preview photos or exclusive interviews. React badly to a patch, criticise something on the forums or disagree with a patch cycle over class nerfs/buffs and you'll find your site getting less promotional material, sometimes even having the designers you were talking to about the Math in your guides refuse to answer emails part way through a discussion. Suddenly, your website is f**ked, and TankTelara died a death within weeks of the games release after we did a poll asking about the communities top ten issues that needed fixing. Preview material dried up, Trion stopped answering my mail, the site died.

Paladinrja

Paladinrja

I think lotsa people just wanna see what the fuss is all about. Truth is alot of people don't give a rats ass whether the game is good or not once it gets this much attention.

The majority of consumers play so many games in a year that they are literally quite happy with a familiar buzz for a few hours til a truelly great game comes along, they probably already have targetted.
A:CM for them is - "Oh man, lets see how bad it really is? Meh, that was fun for a bit, next!"

This is a lesson in true game design. Take what you have & make something out of it. If its a sensational masterpiece, great!; if not but you can make as much money outta it, thats just as good for the bottom line.
At the end of the day few people can make something outta nothing, nevermind expecting something great outta nothing.

Seen so many topics about Sega suing or class actions. Its like everyones an authority on something just coz they have a strong, biased, point of view.
Truth is Sega's probably not complaining too much because the contract has made them money. Lots of it.
Thats what it had to achieve. Now if it never made a dime, yah Sega would be in talks with devs about how to recoupe $60 million. No way that any publisher is going to take down a studio that generally does good work, no matter how angry I am about another Alien game that never did much on my ricter-scale.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed