The Game's Development Story Discussion

Started by Salt The Fries, Feb 08, 2013, 08:18:47 PM

Author
The Game's Development Story Discussion (Read 99,947 times)

ShadowPred

Quote from: Dusk on Feb 17, 2013, 07:29:55 PM
If you have passion for a project, you don't put it on hold 2-3 times, to work on other projects.

Dusk

Alright, I need more info.

ShadowPred

Quote from: Dusk on Feb 17, 2013, 07:40:02 PM
Alright, I need more info.

Del Toro pretty much takes up a movie, only to somehow drop it, and work on something else and one other thing. Take for instance his desire to make At The Mountains of Madness. He basically has stopped work on that and now he's working on Pacific Rim, producing a Hulk TV show, making a video game, developing a sequel to Pacific Rim, etc. He's sort-of-not-working on other projects, not sure where his Frankenstein movie is at nowadays, but I don't think any work has been done on that for a while now. Recently he was going to do Pinocchio, but I think that was dropped as well...there's a few more examples, but I think I've made my point.

RagingDragon

Great point, Shadow. ;) but Del Toro gets a free pass because he makes great shit. :laugh:

He's good at dodging the M. Night Shyamalahdlmvnehm bullets, apparently.

ShadowPred

I can't argue with that.

Darkness

The situation just keeps on shocking me. Gearbox spent money for ACM on Borderlands? And the Wii U version is apparently worse than what's already been released?

I *really* hope Sega sue Gearbox. I think they'd have a great case here.

Nice to hear about the Creative Assembly game though.

Predaker

Quote from: Darkness on Feb 17, 2013, 07:48:22 PM
The situation just keeps on shocking me. Gearbox spent money for ACM on Borderlands? And the Wii U version is apparently worse than what's already been released?

I *really* hope Sega sue Gearbox. I think they'd have a great case here.

Nice to hear about the Creative Assembly game though.

It really is baffling. How they could do this is beyond me. Hearing Randy Pitchford's voice in previews and interviews makes my stomach churn.

Xhan

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Feb 17, 2013, 05:32:56 PM
Anderson: Fan-boy.

Strause brothers: Fan-boys.

Pitchford: Fan-boy.

Being a fan is fine, so long as you don't lose sight of how to make the basic product good, regardless of the licence. Orgasming over whose face model you've scanned in or right to manufacture a specific type of rubber suit means nothing if you wind up putting said digital model or rubber suit into something hopelessly mediocre.

Incidentally, this is why a TV series usually won't take new writers in unless they give examples of writing for other shows. They want to know if you're a decent writer, period, not whether you've got an encyclopaedic knowledge of what's taken place.

Just take a look over the majority of fan-films (and, especially, fan-written scripts) and you'll see that the majority aren't in the league of what you would call decent.

But as SM's said, in this particular case, it wouldn't have hurt Gearbox to have got a few respected consultants in to help with their oft-trumpeted authenticity claims - or just watched the films in an objective manner.

The issue here is not being a fan-boy, but being a Colonial Marine fan boy, which is the same issue Rebellion had via Preds.

ikarop

ikarop

There are some opinion based comments on that SOE's tester AMA. I'm not trying to make any excuses for GBX but I know for a fact that they were creating content and adding it to the game after it came back from Timegate. It wasn't only progression blockers or crashes being fixed.

9th_Stew

9th_Stew

i find it interesting that the moderators/admins here are commenting on these forums now about this mess :D

- i like it. :)

i think they spent their money on those shitty mini documentaries where the developers "try" to look cool with their names popping up all fancy n stuff...

SM

SM

QuoteAnderson: Fan-boy.

You forgot Whedon in that list.

QuotePitchford had the passion, and the knowledge, but his priorities were apparently a bit off.

Knowledge of what?  It certainly wasn't the universe he was working in.

Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 17, 2013, 07:38:43 PM
If you have passion for a project, you don't put it on hold 2-3 times, to work on other projects.

http://comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/18926/guillermo-del-toro1.jpg

Filmmakers are always putting shit on hold - often for years - until they're in the best position to do them.  The comparison is flawed.

RagingDragon

I think back to the comments about Gearbox having access to all of Fox's archives for Aliens, for sound files and film information and canon and blah blah. Meeting with Ridley, too. I mean, such a hype show, and for what?

What in the story could they not have accomplished without all of that?

Xenomorphine

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 17, 2013, 10:55:47 PM
I mean, such a hype show, and for what?

Your money.

Dusk

If they only would have put half of the effort in the game, that they used to hype this.

ShadowPred

Quote from: SM on Feb 17, 2013, 10:41:46 PM
QuoteAnderson: Fan-boy.

You forgot Whedon in that list.

QuotePitchford had the passion, and the knowledge, but his priorities were apparently a bit off.

Knowledge of what?  It certainly wasn't the universe he was working in.

Quote from: ShadowPred on Feb 17, 2013, 07:38:43 PM

http://comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/18926/guillermo-del-toro1.jpg

Filmmakers are always putting shit on hold - often for years - until they're in the best position to do them.  The comparison is flawed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG7MWiwctME#

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed