Scott says "Covenant is about mortality and immortality!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Dec 31, 2016, 12:13:06 AM

Author
Scott says "Covenant is about mortality and immortality!! (Read 33,969 times)

Deuterium

Deuterium

"I think there's some kind of decision being made. I believe in a higher force – if we want to call it God, then it's God." -- Ridley Scott

Yes, Ridley, He is the unmoved Mover, the uncaused Cause, the uncreated Creator, pure Act and the very essence of Being itself (ipsum esse subsistens).  Also known as God, who has One Divine nature, and exists as three eternal Persons.

Protozoid

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 31, 2016, 04:20:44 AM
Sagardoa just got back to me, and yeah, he backed up what 4chan guy said.
Spoiler
No Engineers other than the flashback where David kills them all.
[close]
Depressing. There has yet to be a single Alien sequel that actually followed through on the original sequel plan, and it looks like Covenant is no different. It's lack of story continuity that keeps stalling this series. They can't get enough dramatic momentum carried over from episode to episode, meaning each series (Alien, AvP, and now possibly Prometheus) has gradually lost steam. There is no point doing a series unless it builds to something, and how can it build to anything special if they keep deviating from their course to chase money?

I'm glad Scott found a way to include his themes, but this series has been extremely frustrating on a story level. Is it foolish to hope that Covenant 2 might actually continue the story, or are we doomed to have this series get re-imagined every step of the way?

OpenMaw

There were a number of sequel plans, Protozoid. Which one do you refer to? The one where another team went to the same planet and the Jockey's showed up all pissed off?

Protozoid

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 31, 2016, 05:46:58 AM
There were a number of sequel plans, Protozoid. Which one do you refer to? The one where another team went to the same planet and the Jockey's showed up all pissed off?
Never heard of that one. Is that a comic book? I'm pretty sure they never intended to adapt that into Prometheus 2.

There has only ever been one sequel concept discussed by Scott & Co. prior to the announcement of Covenant. On the Prometheus commentary track, Scott described the sequel as Robinson Crusoe in Space, with Shaw and David's head trying to survive on Paradise while she searches for the origins of the Engineers. It's pretty obvious looking at the conclusion of Prometheus that Covenant does not represent their original plan for a sequel. The very fact that Fox plans to
Spoiler
kill the final survivor of the prior film offscreen
[close]
shows that Fox doesn't care about continuing the Prometheus storyline. This movie looks like an awkward compromise between Fox's desire to have a dumb action tentpole and Ridley's desire to finish the futurist-religious triptych he's trying to paint.

oduodu

Spoiler
[close]

That is a real letdown. So David is indeed more intelligent then them . Sad

Hemi

Quote from: oduodu on Dec 31, 2016, 06:59:27 AM
Spoiler
[close]

That is a real letdown. So David is indeed more intelligent then them . Sad

Does explain why they wanted us dead I guess. We are getting too smart.

QuoteDepressing. There has yet to be a single Alien sequel that actually followed through on the original sequel plan

I agree. The video games have the same problem. We will never know what ACM's ending means, and Amanda is forever doomed floating in space.

Sad indeed.

At least the visual style of Prometheus is followed through in Covenant.

szkoki

szkoki

Prometheus had the same theme didnt it?

I fear this film and franchise will fall flat again, it wants to be so much more and Ridley wants to save it so badly.

Stolen

Oh yes! It looks like a sequel to Prometheus, it's perfect guys!

Le Celticant

I remember Ridley's saying something exactly similar for Prometheus ::)
And to be honest I really wish this question to remain secret forever.

And morality... lol.

Ingwar

Scott says:
QuoteI think there's some kind of decision being made. I believe in a higher force - if we want to call it God, then it's God.

Ridley, there is only one God. Spaghetti Flying Monster! ;D

HenryNomak

Same things were said about Prometheus but nothing came out of it except more questions. I am sure all these questions won't be answered till next the sequel.

neomorpheus

I'm a firm advocate for the theory of evolution but it's an interesting idea that we were helped along the way by something, like we're living in some higher intelligence's petri dish and they are observing to understand their own evolution and past.  It's not so difficult to imagine, if humans can clone life, if they could eventually terraform planets that is exactly what the Engineers are doing in Prometheus. Of course we have to work out space travel first.

That said, I think Scott is a bit disingenuous when he says nobody ever asked where the Alien came from, a lot of people wanted to know where the derelict, its pilot and cargo came from and why it's on LV 426 - Sigourney Weaver has gone on record several times as saying she wants to return to the Alien planet and deal with them there.

And I don't like the idea that David may have created the Alien, but then perhaps he didn't create them. Perhaps the Derelict on LV426 is indeed full of ancient sacrificial beasts and David tries to recreate them when he finds out about their existence.

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

Didn't the guy something about

Spoiler
that we would learn about how the xenos were able to perfectly find their way around in every environment?
[close]

What about the original derelict and space jockey? It seemed to be so old that it had been fossilized.

Enoch

Game over, guys...

LEAKS ARE CORRECT!

jdxmoore

Quote from: Enoch on Dec 31, 2016, 12:02:41 PM
Game over, guys...

LEAKS ARE CORRECT!

Do you have further evidence?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed