Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics!

Started by Secret Hero, Mar 07, 2008, 07:25:42 PM

Author
Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics! (Read 272,625 times)

War Wager

I disagree with that on so may levels, I'll need to do my own! ^  ;)

VisualFx: (98%)

Very impressive. There wasn't one bit of CG that looked fake, it looked totally real. The details on the parasites and the monsters itself is just brillant.

Storylne: (42%)

Simple and basic but realistic and the same time. I guess if you really cared for someone that much you would risk your life to save. Might have been predictable (I knew HUD would get killed) but it's a good story in it's own right.

SoundFx: (100%)

Amazing. The sounds of the army shooting at the monster and the tanks bombarding it was just fantastic in the cinema. The tunnel scene in particular is very good; you can hear the distant commotion up above, water dripping from the ceiling, pipes hissing etc.

Violent Factor: (54%)

Nothing terribly gruesome but the scene when the girl explodes because of the bite was quite an eye opener. Plus when HUD is killed you can hear the monsters teeth grinding into his flesh.

Overall: (97%)

A masterpiece in my opinion. Why no-one thought of using a every camera in a monster movie earlier I'll never know. It's everything a monster movie should be; realistic, heart pounding and scary. Forget Godzilla, this is the real deal.  8)

War Wager

VisualFx: (79%)

What few CG shots it has, they look great. The ship crash scene is pretty impressive as well as the Warriors and the PredAlien emerging from the manhole from afar.

Storyline: (10%)

Very boring. All the other movies had interesting locations and good characters, AvPR does the exact opposite giving us a boring, everyday town full of uninteresting people with everyday situtions. The fact that Wolf is sent there to 'clean up the mess' is the only part I like.

SoundFx: (85%)

You can tell a lot of work has went into the sound design. A lot of the locations eg the sewer has brillant sounds. You can make out every water drip and chain clanking which makes the scene probably the most intense in the movie. A shame it was so short.

Violent Factor: (74%)

It's a lot more gory and in-your-face than AvP, chestburstings, decapitations, headbites etc make it a lot more realistc and gritty. The only obvious promblem is that it's all crappy CG blood which doesn't exactly go 'back-to-the-roots'. The only decent horror shot is in the powerplant with the worker, that was a nice shot.

Overall: (23%)

The worst in the series in my opinion. Full of daft dialouge and conon fodder characters that doesn't make it a horrifying movie at all. Saying that it does have it's moments; Wolf looks and acts like a Predator should; the hospital scene is really cruel and Alien-like, the battles while short were very well done and the fact that the creatures are nearly all suit work was nice to see.

Secret Hero

"A Sci-Fi movie with great visual effects, 4 THUMBS UP!"

VisualFx: (94%)
= A magnificent V-fx in Starship Troopers, more realistic than ever. A 1990s movie got a big score for having the most improved V-fx. Without a doubt, the computerized cutting of bodies in each scene in the movie made it more attractive than ever. As well as the weapon of the marines, it's quite high-tech when you see it. The ships are quite magnificent.

SoundFx: (78%)
= The Bugs roar isn't that impressive than the other Sci-Fi Alien movies, guns S-fx is good, but not good enough to hear. Ships S-fx is more like an ordinary Jet. The S-fx isn't that good. At least they tried their best to improve it.

Storyline: (66%)
= With it's storyline focusing to a war with an alien-bug species in Klendathu, the end of Buenos Aires, and the capturing of a brain-bug. With no explanation of where and how bug was created to destroy mankind in using meteorites. The story isn't that good. It's more focused in action and gore. But the movie has quite cool battle scenes.

Violent-Factor: (89%)
= With many troopers massacre, the movie is full of gore.

Overall: (81.75%)
= Has cool V-fx, bad S-fx, and good Story. Last 2 words: COOL-MOVIE.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

2001: A Space Odyssey review

2001: A Space Odyssey review

VisualFx: (97%)
- The visual effects are awesome for a movie that came out in the 60's. I love the shot of the moonscenes, it was so real at the time and this was before the Apollo landing on the moon as well.

SoundFx: (100%)
- The sound is amazing and every bit of the music is awesome. Also sprach Zarathustra is the best movie score ever made IMO.

Storyline: (100%)
- The story is perfect, the whole movie deals with thematic elements of human evolution, technology, artificial intelligence, and extraterrestrial life which making it so great. The movie is about a concerned with intelligence as the division between animal and human, then asks a question; what is the next division? Technology is treated as irrelevant to the quest then literally serving as mere vehicles for the human crew, and as a shell for the immature HAL entity. Story told as a montage of impressions, music and impressive and careful attention to subliminal detail.

Overall: (100 %)
- This movie is perfect on every level and everything about this movie is perfect. It great to watch and I recommend this to anyone. This movie is hard to understand at first but it gets better when you watch for the second time. If wasn't for this movie, there would be no Star Wars or Alien/Predator. This is the movie that started it all!

War Wager

VisualFx: (54%)

Not bad for the time, but luckly theres only a few shots that use CG. Most of it is completely real which I think is always good to see.

Storyline: (96%)

Probably the selling point of the movie. It tackles with nearly every humans emotion; love, hate, fear, happiness etc. It really is the best survival movie I've seen, not only do the survivors fear each other, but also the extreme cold, the weather and a killer Grizzly bear. Perfect

Violent Factor: (69%)

Theres the occasional blood splatter like when the gulls slam into the plane,legs being broken etc but most of the violence comes from the Grizzy (which died just after filming  :()

Overall: (86%)

The movie has got just about everything you could want in a survival movie; great setting, terrific acting and a good ending. Got a wonderful soundtrack that fits in beautifully with the panoramic shots of hills and mountains.  8)

Zero

VisualFx:(0%) There weren't really any Visual Effects.

Storyline:(70%)It was something the audience had never seen before,but could've been better.There were some very innapropriate parts,And I laughed through them all

Violent Factor:(40%)The only real violent area in this film were Spoiler Ahead when Borat and the Fat guy got into a fight chasing each other naked through the Hotel

Overall:(70) One of the best comedies I've seen.I honestly think it surpasses Epic Movie and Scary Movie.Most of this film is actual experience someone from Kazakhstan might encounter was well when coming here.

Rating: * * * * 4 stars

War Wager

VisualFx: (0%)

None

SoundFx: (63%)

The sound never really stood out for me, but when Jeff is walking the corridors of Jigsaw's lair theres a lot of lights flickering/buzzing and and an overall scary theme to it.

Storyline: (86%)

Probably the best so far. I liked it how it wasn't the same situation as before with people trying to save themselves by righting their wrongs. This movie has a more emotional side to it and is all about forgivness. Having Jigsaw plan all this out while he's dying in a bed just shows how intelligent he really is.

Violent Factor: (98%)

This movie is harsh. Very. The makers said they wanted to amp up the gore level and they weren't kidding. Lots of ugly looking traps end up with rather brutal deaths. 'The Rack' trap near the end is probably the most horrible thing I've seen in a movie.

Overall: (84%)

A great watch. I'm suprised at this series in that in many ways the movies are getting better as they go on. This one, while it doesn't have such a big shock twist like the first two, it's still a well thought out and intelligent script. Great acting throughout, especially from Tobin Bell, who just keeps making Jigsaw all the more iconic.

Alienseseses

Special effects does not only mean CGI.

SiL

Quote from: War Wager on Mar 08, 2008, 01:53:05 PM
It's everything a monster movie should be
Which I find ironic, since it's not really a monster movie :P

Pred-Xeno

Jumper

VisualFX: (87%)

The best part of the movie. It didn't look that fake.

SoundFx: (70%)

Nothing special very average.

Storyline: (67%)

Again nothing special but I do have to say it was very stupid at parts.

Overall: (72%)

A dumb movie which I found kinda fun and stupid at times.

Aeus

Quote from: SiL on Mar 09, 2008, 01:07:54 AM
Quote from: War Wager on Mar 08, 2008, 01:53:05 PM
It's everything a monster movie should be
Which I find ironic, since it's not really a monster movie :P

I always saw it as a love story, featuring a monster.

War Wager

VisualFx: (3%)

Since it was one of the first movies to use CG, it's obvious it ain't gonna look good. All of the stuff is pretty horrible, probably the worst being when the shark charges at the control room at the end.  :-X

Storyline: (64%)

It was a good move to set it somewhere other than Amity and what better place than a newly opened Sea World? The fact that it's the baby that starts killing first and then big mama comes it was a nice touch. It also has a scarier tone than the others had with the shark being bigger and having a more emotionless face.

SoundFx: (54%)

Nothing really stood out exept when you hear the shark 'roar' under the water, it has kind of a cool gargling sound with really made the shark sound big and menacing.

Violent Factor: (77%)

Pretty bloody for a PG (or 12). Theres a big increase in blood this time and the most attacks in any of the movies. One pretty violent scene is near the end where the guy is caught in the sharks throat, it kills him just by moving it's jaws up and down and you see the blood coming out of it's gills. Hated watching that as a kid, gave me nightmares.  :P

Overall: (35%)

Definitley not the best Jaws, but definitlety not the worst either. The setting is good and the acting is pretty average considering who's starring. The shark looks a lot meaner this time which I think helps with the more adult theme that the movie has. I like it how the theme tune is a lot sharper this time and more fast paced than before.

Aeus

Quote from: War Wager on Mar 09, 2008, 12:31:13 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/0e/200px-Jaws_3d.jpg
Storyline: (64%)

It was a good move to set it somewhere other than Amity and what better place than a newly opened Sea World? The fact that it's the baby that starts killing first and then big mama comes it was a nice touch. It also has a scarier tone than the others had with the shark being bigger and having a more emotionless face.

The storyline was abysmal. It was basically about a Mother shark taking revenge on those who killed it's child. Honestly, what the f**k?

It's nearly as bad as Jaws 4.

War Wager

I was ok with, it least it was different than the first two which basically had the same storylines.

Aeus

Quote from: War Wager on Mar 09, 2008, 03:46:52 PM
I was ok with, it least it was different than the first two which basically had the same storylines.

Fair enough. At least it's better than Jaws 4. f**k me the end for that was bad.

Roy Schneider's wife can magically recall her husband shooting the barrel in the sharks mouth, even though she wasn't there. What the f**k? How does someone do that!  :D

Not to mention the fact that the Shark roars.  ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed