Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art

Started by RidgeTop, Dec 27, 2017, 04:04:57 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art (Read 73,978 times)

tHEkiD

tHEkiD

There are many rumors out there about the new Alien prequel being canceled. Does anyone know more on this?

Corporal Hicks

Cross posting from another thread -

Last week we reported on some new comments made by Ridley Scott and at the end of the article included a recent report from Omega Underground and a supporting tidbit we'd found about how Alien: Covenant 2 (aka Alien: Awakening) had initially been expected to start shooting next year. You can read the article here - Sir Ridley Scott Thinks Alien Should Be On "Same Level For Fans as Star Trek and Star Wars"

Since we posted that most of the larger outlets have ran with that rumour and it's pretty much all over the internet now. Couple that with Neill Blomkamp renewing general interest in his Alien 5 pitch by posting new concept art and the Internet seems abuzz with the notion that Fox has cancelled Alien: Covenant's sequel and Blomkamp's is back on.

Since most of these reports are referring back to us for finding the Blu-ray.com forum post, we wanted to just offer some extra context and clarification. We hadn't made it a headline ourselves as it was unconfirmed. Thanks to AvPGalaxy member Biomechanoid, we know that Human Media's public profile gives his real name as Carl Braga who according to IMDB worked on Alien: Covenant as a screen graphics designer. So the odds of the comment genuinely coming from someone who worked on the film seems quite likely.

However, the post was made in September of 2017 and referred to pre-production being originally slated to begin that month. Also back in September, 20th Century Fox CEO Stacey Snider discussed the future of the Alien series saying that Alien: Covenant had been a disappointment but that "I trust Ridley [Scott] and Emma [Watts] to know the right story when they find it."  Just a couple of months earlier, in July, reports also came out that Fox had been "reassessing" the extra movies that Scott had initially wanted to do.

What this seems to indicate is that whatever direction Sir Ridley Scott had been leaning in for the Covenant sequel was not the one that 20th Century Fox ultimately wanted to move forward in. As a result of the reassessment, the sequel in it's then current form was likely shelved while Scott and Watt's explored a different direction for the sequel.

Fox representatives hadn't been shy about how Alien: Covenant hadn't performed as well as expected. Producer Fred Baron had told the Sydney Morning Herald"It got great reviews and was everything we set out for it to be, it just didn't hit the note at the box office. It will be a profitable film for the studio but whether there's another one [is uncertain]."

Since these reports of the apparent reassessment of the direction of future Alien films, Scott has certainly been happily talking about his current direction, that the films would be moving towards Artificial Intelligence (and presumably David) taking an even more central role in his prequel films which would seem to indicate he's still working away on the concept.

In the same article this rumour had been generated from, we also reported that Scott had said that "they're crazy if they don't. David is a fantastic villain. I love what (Michael Fassbender) did in Covenant. But it's f—ing hard, dude. We lifted Alien out of a ditch and made Prometheus."

Does that mean that a sequel to Alien: Covenant is guaranteed? Of course not. It would seem to be that it is definitely not a green-lit certainty at this point. But it also doesn't mean that a sequel has been cancelled as work seems to be being done on it still.

windebieste

Until Fox (or maybe even Disney) makes an official announcement, it's all bullshit; and it's just stupid people full of bullshit not knowing what they're taliking about and spreading more bullshit. 

Some people here thrive on such Bullshit.  That's all there is to it.  Just watch 'em try and get away with denying it.  Laugh in their face, I say.  Tell them to f**k off and stop being sucked into the pit of misinformation and attempting to pass it off as 'Fact'. 

It's not.  It's just Bullshit.  lol.

-Windebieste

Whiskeybrewer

Some great work, that Im sure will be reused in future

Biomechanoid

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 29, 2017, 12:19:28 PM
Some people here thrive on such Bullshit.  That's all there is to it.  Just watch 'em try and get away with denying it.
Which people here?

windebieste

The ones talking bullshit. 

:P

-Windebieste.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 29, 2017, 01:24:06 PM
The ones talking bullshit. 

:P
I was just curious because in the multiple threads this has been discussed, I have seen no one here say anything similar to.... "holy moly, this rumor must be true!"

So either you saw someone guilty of such or you are doling out a shotgun accusation over something that never happened. Your prerogative to back your accusation or stay on the fence and allow the readers to conclude who is really slinging bullshit. . . .  :P

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Dec 27, 2017, 11:01:47 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 27, 2017, 10:12:50 PM
Yeah, but I don't think anyone expects him to do a District 9 level movie each and every time. We really need to see a lot more from him before writing him off as a mediocre or a one-hit-wonder director.

Even if people don't want more Ridley Scott I think many other directors would be a far better choice than Blomkamp.

I want to see fresh ideas and new characters not digging up the past to see an inevitably lesser version of what we've already seen.

That doesn't mean no marines or drop ships, you can do all that without raising the dead, again.

I also want to see a new director, but as hard as i try to imagine someone who can fit in this universe, i end up with nothing...

Beatnation

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 29, 2017, 02:16:40 PM
Yeah, but I don't think anyone expects him to do a District 9 level movie each and every time. We really need to see a lot more from him before writing him off as a mediocre or a one-hit-wonder director.

Even if people don't want more Ridley Scott I think many other directors would be a far better choice than Blomkamp.

I want to see fresh ideas and new characters not digging up the past to see an inevitably lesser version of what we've already seen.

That doesn't mean no marines or drop ships, you can do all that without raising the dead, again.

I also want to see a new director, but as hard as i try to imagine someone who can fit in this universe, i end up with nothing...

Zack Snyder.

Peace, I'm out

Jonesy1974

I think plenty of directors could fit the bill. Gore verbinski, Danny Boyle, frank Darabont and Tomas Alfredson all have experience in horror/sci fi, have a visual style that fits and are good with characters. Whether any of them would want to make an Alien movie is another matter.

The likes of Jennifer Kent or s craig zahler could be cool too although I'd worry about them lacking the experience of a production size this size.

Personally I think Ridley is the best man for the job but would be confident any of the above could make a great Alien movie.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Beatnation on Dec 29, 2017, 03:15:44 PM

Zack Snyder.

Peace, I'm out
Lars Von Trier

Beatnation

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 29, 2017, 05:08:57 PM

Zack Snyder.

Peace, I'm out
Lars Von Trier

I think Zack Snyder dark sensibilities will make him do a great Alien film, just look at his remake of Dawn of the Dead, it was so good.

Plus, the guy sure knows how to make action pieces.

Bishoplv426

Bishoplv426

Disney (with Blomkamp) should get their animators and do Alien 5 as a R-rated animated feature/mini-series for their new streaming service. Sigourney is no stranger to voice work and mo-cap; and would probably cost them less than doing a feature film. Check out Alien: Special Order on youtube if you think Aliens couldn't be cool in an animated film.

Gash

Quote from: Beatnation on Dec 29, 2017, 05:22:39 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 29, 2017, 05:08:57 PM

Zack Snyder.

Peace, I'm out
Lars Von Trier

I think Zack Snyder dark sensibilities will make him do a great Alien film, just look at his remake of Dawn of the Dead, it was so good.

Plus, the guy sure knows how to make action pieces.

Is this irony?

Perfect-Organism

I honestly think Neill Blomkamp's film idea is the best thing for the Alien franchise.  I would only suggest to ixnay the idea of Ripley in an Alien suit.  That looks ridiculous.  What is she going to a Halloween party?

Aliens was a high point in the series.  Ridley Scott had a chance, and while I do want him to finish up his prequel trilogy, I am mostly rooting for an alternate telling of the story post-Aliens, featuring Hicks, Newt and Ripley.  Done well, this could be awesome.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed