Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art

Started by RidgeTop, Dec 27, 2017, 04:04:57 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art (Read 74,002 times)

brokentusk420

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 27, 2017, 04:51:26 AM
Disney needs to call him asap to resurrect this, I mean he had Weaver and Cameron backing his script.

That doesn't mean anything. That's just to stir interest in fans who think the success of future movies lies with the approval of those involved with the previous installments. They will say anything if money is involved. 

irn

Quote from: King geedorah on Oct 06, 2018, 05:03:31 PM
i would still be open to giving neill a chance, but im tired of the whole "muh hix n noot" thing. leave A3 alone, the time for those retcon dreams are 20 years too late and I doubt his movie would be better than A3.

Agreed. Retconning and rebooting just creates a mess and the series loses integrity. If Blompkamp really wants to make an Aliens 2 then there's plenty of ways he can do it without bringing back Ripley or Hicks. It's a rich universe to play with. There's no need to milk nostalgia for every last drop.

Huggs

I've always been steadfast against bringing back any characters. But just this once I'll play devils advocate. I could almost (and I emphasize almost) tolerate seeing the characters come back for one film, just for the fun of it. But only on two conditions.

First, the film would have to follow Gibson's script, and be given a hard "R" rating.

Second, (and most importantly) it would need to be cast with younger actors, like hellboy. I could tolerate a new film sliding in there to go off on a different path, but not with weaver and company. Bring in Hardy or some other younger but capable actor, and the same for Ripley and Newt's characters. That is something I could almost stand. But bringing back aging actors for the sake of fan service and a quick buck is something I'd rather not see happen.

Now, animated versions of Gibson and Ward's scripts with Weaver and others providing voiceovers would be something I could dig.

proto leech

Quote from: irn on Oct 06, 2018, 08:34:24 PM
Quote from: King geedorah on Oct 06, 2018, 05:03:31 PM
i would still be open to giving neill a chance, but im tired of the whole "muh hix n noot" thing. leave A3 alone, the time for those retcon dreams are 20 years too late and I doubt his movie would be better than A3.

Agreed. Retconning and rebooting just creates a mess and the series loses integrity. If Blompkamp really wants to make an Aliens 2 then there's plenty of ways he can do it without bringing back Ripley or Hicks. It's a rich universe to play with. There's no need to milk nostalgia for every last drop.

I would say a retcon is necessary though. Ive always loved and defend it but resurrection is the problem. Like it or not you need that era of colonial marines/WY/colonies ect. if you're gonna push for an Alien 5 at this point, and a sequel to rez cant really have that.

cut off resurrection as an alternate timeline and continue with new characters after ripley's lead death. It frees you up for anything: earth invasion? engineer shenanigans come to the main timeline? who knows

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed

Resurrection's "elseworld" future contradistincts the original Alien film Trilogy- as it is.

Whiskeybrewer

I'd say continue after Resurrection. Maybe a 20/30 Year time jump forward and then just do it with completely new characters

The Old One

The Old One

Resurrection's existence features troublesome aesthetics but otherwise, lore handwaveable.

Perfect-Organism

So you think a movie which ignores Resurrection, (a film that features Ripley - of sorts) but follows after Alien 3 (which discontinues the presence of Ripley) would do better, and would be better than a film that follows after Resurrection, which already nobody wants to do?

What makes Alien 3 more valid than Resurrection as per this argument?  If you're going to retcon 1 element of the series such as Resurrection, why stop there, and not go to the one point at which the series was at its zenith?

The Old One

The Old One

Because Ellen Ripley's narrative concluded in the Trilogy.

& Alien, Aliens, AlienĀ³ is a complete through line.

Resurrection never mattered. "You're not her." -Call

(Frankly, f**k retconning A3.)

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 09, 2018, 07:25:53 PM
So you think a movie which ignores Resurrection, (a film that features Ripley - of sorts) but follows after Alien 3 (which discontinues the presence of Ripley) would do better, and would be better than a film that follows after Resurrection, which already nobody wants to do?

What makes Alien 3 more valid than Resurrection as per this argument?  If you're going to retcon 1 element of the series such as Resurrection, why stop there, and not go to the one point at which the series was at its zenith?

Because the era of Alien 3 has the Company and marines which are both very popular elements, and Resurrection doesn't.

Perfect-Organism

Ok, I can understand that.  You're a fan of the initial trilogy.  But if you're willing to think about it dispassionately as a studio executive, (look at it from our perspective - Van Leuwen) do you really think it makes sense to axe a film which was made to reset the series after a film that was poorly received in the first place?  Wouldn't that bring you back to square 1?

The argument here, professed often, is that Alien 3 closes the loop in the best way.  That's hardly true.  It only does so in one way.  The likelihood of what happened to Ripley on the Sulaco is much more slim than Ripley and co getting old somewhere until they hear about more Alien shenanigans happening somewhere.  Hilarity to ensue.

SM

I'm not in favour of axing anything.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Retcon sounds ugly and rude. Shall we call it "Alien 3's alternate storytelling" instead?  :)  (I wish I have an anthology of alternate stories in fact, especially focused on the prequel era). 

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Oct 09, 2018, 08:08:38 PM
Retcon sounds ugly and rude.

lol. Does it?  Retcon, you're one ugly mother f*cker!

QuoteShall we call it "Alien 3's alternate storytelling" instead?

If that's not nice enough, we can always add Disney to the title...

Disney's Alien 3's alternate storytelling

;D

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 09, 2018, 08:00:52 PM
@Perfect-Organism

1. I believe it is true.

2. "Shit happens."

3. A new straight Alien film without Sigourney Weaver, in the era of Aliens/AlienĀ³- 0% Ripley.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed