Predator cosplay

Started by LadyZero, Jul 31, 2011, 06:41:44 PM

Author
Predator cosplay (Read 16,346 times)

LadyZero

LadyZero

Yes. Yes, I am insane, and have started this thread to prove it and also to motivate me to get this done.

As I may have mentioned to a couple of you, I'm a cosplayer. My major cosplay is usually Jill Valentine in her RE3 getup but that costume fell victim to my washing machine which has developed a slightly worrying appetite for zips.

I was discussing my costume woes with a friend of mine and she said to me 'well, why don't you make something different then? Jill's getting old, you've had her for ages'. And then she suggested I do a female Predator cosplay.

So... I am >.> The design is still in the works because basically I can't draw terribly well but I will post it on here when I've done it. In the meantime, have a list of the main compnents of the cosplay and their progress:

Boots: I have a pair of New Rock boots that have seen better days and were last used for my human!Optimus Prime cosplay so have already been mutilated in the name of cosplay. For this costume they will be spray-painted a bronze colour.

Helmet & dreads: Helmet will be made by that age-old trick of papier mache over a balloon to get the shape, then pop the balloon and voila. The helmet will be based around Falconer's design, mainly because I'm a bit of a fan *tiny flag* but also because, for a glasses wearer, his is the most practical option to make as it doesn't sit flush to his face and therefore I can get my specs underneath it. I'm not sure how to make the dreadlocks - any suggestions that aren't too expensive are welcomed.

Weapons: I'll be kitted out with a spear, shoulder cannon and a set of wristblades. I'm toying with the idea of a single wristblade but that could be frowned upon by purists  ::) The spear will be a cleverly-painted garden cane and the shoulder cannon will be made of the inside of a tube of Plenty >.> paper mache will again be my friend with this one. I'll also put a small push-light inside the tube so the cannon will light up, and I've got three lazer pointers for the targeting triangle.

Armour: Will probably be made of flexible foam that I can staple together. At the moment we're looking at just basic shoulder armour and something for the lower arms.

Clothing: Bronze tube top and a brown leather mini skirt. Sorted.

Mesh suit: I have endless pairs of fishnet tights I can mutilate for this  :)

'Body': Ah, this is where it gets a little complicated. The legs are easy because I can just wear tan tights with a pair of fishnets over them and I'm done. The actual body... I want to do a fabric paint pattern on a tight long-sleeve top but can't decide which colour scheme to go for. Suggestions welcome.

So... yes. Lady is officially insane. Yay?

This has to be ready for next MAY. I think I'm giving myself enough time. That's why I'm posting this now so I actually Get Stuff Done!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Insane you are not.
Theeeeere's much worse. Trust me.
And I can't wait to see pics of this costume. Even if I would've preferred pics of the old Jill one.
Spoiler
J-k!
[close]

LadyZero

LadyZero

Lol :P

My friend is actually the insane one, her costume for the corresponding convention apparently involves massive great angel wings. This could be a problem as I was kind of relying on her to be a spotter for me due to lack of any peripheral vision in the helmet. I'm going to end up being a spotter for her so she doesn't deck anyone with her wings, aren't I?

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Quote from: LadyZero on Jul 31, 2011, 06:41:44 PM
Yes. Yes, I am insane, and have started this thread to prove it and also to motivate me to get this done.

As I may have mentioned to a couple of you, I'm a cosplayer. My major cosplay is usually Jill Valentine in her RE3 getup but that costume fell victim to my washing machine which has developed a slightly worrying appetite for zips.

I was discussing my costume woes with a friend of mine and she said to me 'well, why don't you make something different then? Jill's getting old, you've had her for ages'. And then she suggested I do a female Predator cosplay.

So... I am >.> The design is still in the works because basically I can't draw terribly well but I will post it on here when I've done it. In the meantime, have a list of the main compnents of the cosplay and their progress:

Boots: I have a pair of New Rock boots that have seen better days and were last used for my human!Optimus Prime cosplay so have already been mutilated in the name of cosplay. For this costume they will be spray-painted a bronze colour.

Helmet & dreads: Helmet will be made by that age-old trick of papier mache over a balloon to get the shape, then pop the balloon and voila. The helmet will be based around Falconer's design, mainly because I'm a bit of a fan *tiny flag* but also because, for a glasses wearer, his is the most practical option to make as it doesn't sit flush to his face and therefore I can get my specs underneath it. I'm not sure how to make the dreadlocks - any suggestions that aren't too expensive are welcomed.

Weapons: I'll be kitted out with a spear, shoulder cannon and a set of wristblades. I'm toying with the idea of a single wristblade but that could be frowned upon by purists  ::) The spear will be a cleverly-painted garden cane and the shoulder cannon will be made of the inside of a tube of Plenty >.> paper mache will again be my friend with this one. I'll also put a small push-light inside the tube so the cannon will light up, and I've got three lazer pointers for the targeting triangle.

Armour: Will probably be made of flexible foam that I can staple together. At the moment we're looking at just basic shoulder armour and something for the lower arms.

'Body': Ah, this is where it gets a little complicated. The legs are easy because I can just wear tan tights with a pair of fishnets over them and I'm done. The actual body... I want to do a fabric paint pattern on a tight long-sleeve top but can't decide which colour scheme to go for. Suggestions welcome.

This has to be ready for next MAY. I think I'm giving myself enough time. That's why I'm posting this now so I actually Get Stuff Done!

This is not insanity, this is epicness.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

@LadyZero, there are some EU female Predator pictures uploaded under this topic:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=32930.30

Hope this helps :)  Cosplay is really cool BTW, I dressed up my daughter with a sword and shield for Megacon 2010 lol.

LadyZero

LadyZero

Oooooooooh Alice some of those are gorgeous! I really like the sort of cheetah-coloured statuette, she's very pretty :3

*saves pics*

Cosplay is really really fun but I often get the 'UR 2 OLD' at conventions. Dude, I'm 30. That ain't old. I'm just not an anime fanfag who cosplays Naruto.

Anyway, first picture for you all - these are the boots in their current state.

Despite appearances they are really comfy. Will post them again when I've painted them the correct colour but for now, that's them in all their Optimus Prime-coloured glory, lol.

Also ignore messy room >.> Tahaha. Lady is a tramp xD

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Quote from: LadyZero on Aug 01, 2011, 06:20:37 PM
Oooooooooh Alice some of those are gorgeous! I really like the sort of cheetah-coloured statuette, she's very pretty :3

*saves pics*

Cosplay is really really fun but I often get the 'UR 2 OLD' at conventions. Dude, I'm 30. That ain't old. I'm just not an anime fanfag who cosplays Naruto.

Despite appearances they are really comfy. Will post them again when I've painted them the correct colour but for now, that's them in all their Optimus Prime-coloured glory, lol.

Those boots look very cool. I've only dressed as Ghost Rider. Shocking right? :laugh:

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: LadyZero on Jul 31, 2011, 06:41:44 PM

You can use a Stanly knifes for the wristblade. (Just don't cut yourself ;) or anyone else :D)

If your planing on making a mask of Falconer (One of my favorite predators ;D)

use this image to get your base idea of what it's gonna look like.

Can't wait till you finish. Upload a pic went your done.

Quote from: Ghost Rider on Aug 01, 2011, 07:29:05 PM
Quote from: LadyZero on Aug 01, 2011, 06:20:37 PM

*saves pics*

Those boots look very cool. I've only dressed as Ghost Rider. Shocking right? :laugh:

I always dress as Albert Wesker and my friends think I look more like the terminator than Wesker ;D.

LadyZero

LadyZero

*yanks the picture of Falconer* Thank you, now I don't have to do a sketch because everyone knows what his mask looks like :P I didn't know if he had a targeting thingy on his head but now I know he does. Most useful!

I've decided to do a single-blade wristblade made of cardboard, because then I can make it collapsible and therefore easy to transport. Also it's not likely to damage anyone when it's extended unless they're at my knee level and seriously, why would they be down there? Unless they have a REAL boot fetish.

MOAR picture time: Had a bit of rethink of the armour design and remembered I have THIS lurking in my wardrobe:

This is one of my old corsets from my goth days (and from when I was fat, so will need a bit of adjusting) and I've been intending to use it for a costume for aaages. If I spray-paint it a sort of bronzy-colour and do some fancy tribal details on it then voila! Armour. And thus negating the need for me to do anything fancy on my torso because it will be covered by this.

Also, I feel really wrong typing 'fishnet tops' into Google. You should see some of the search results that come up >.>

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: LadyZero on Aug 06, 2011, 11:58:38 AM
*yanks the picture of Falconer* Thank you, now I don't have to do a sketch because everyone knows what his mask looks like :P I didn't know if he had a targeting thingy on his head but now I know he does. Most useful!

I've decided to do a single-blade wristblade made of cardboard, because then I can make it collapsible and therefore easy to transport. Also it's not likely to damage anyone when it's extended unless they're at my knee level and seriously, why would they be down there? Unless they have a REAL boot fetish.

MOAR picture time: Had a bit of rethink of the armour design and remembered I have THIS lurking in my wardrobe:

http://i55.tinypic.com/o78r44.jpg

This is one of my old corsets from my goth days (and from when I was fat, so will need a bit of adjusting) and I've been intending to use it for a costume for aaages. If I spray-paint it a sort of bronzy-colour and do some fancy tribal details on it then voila! Armour. And thus negating the need for me to do anything fancy on my torso because it will be covered by this.

Also, I feel really wrong typing 'fishnet tops' into Google. You should see some of the search results that come up >.>

You should make some shoulder Armour as well to put Falconers cybernetic falcon on your shoulder ;D.

LadyZero

LadyZero

Nah, that falcon is too much like 'effort'. I am going to load myself up with every weapon I can hold though - this cosplay is turning into an interesting hybrid of Falconer, Wolf and Scar x.x

Weapons list so far:

Whip (of course)
Long wristblades of longness that will probably reach more down to the floor than first thought; somehow I'm going to have to work out how to concertina them up so I can actually use my right hand without taking someone's eye out.
Two shoulder cannons because my friend decided that would be 'way more kickass than just one' >.>
Arm computer - need to get some flashy lights! The box for my new mobile phone is just the right size to make this.
Smart discs - probably will end up having something edible attached to them so I can throw them at people and they can then nom a tasty treat
Spear - garden canes and cardboard ftw

I really think that's all bases covered. I was discussing the costume with my friend last night and actually I've got off quite lightly with the amount of work I have to do. She has to make wings and a giant sword. HAH. And she can't bend down in her armour. Bwahahaha.

Ok, I really should finish the sketch *bumbles off*

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Quote from: LadyZero on Aug 07, 2011, 12:00:34 PM
Nah, that falcon is too much like 'effort'. I am going to load myself up with every weapon I can hold though - this cosplay is turning into an interesting hybrid of Falconer, Wolf and Scar x.x

Weapons list so far:

Whip (of course)
Long wristblades of longness that will probably reach more down to the floor than first thought; somehow I'm going to have to work out how to concertina them up so I can actually use my right hand without taking someone's eye out.
Two shoulder cannons because my friend decided that would be 'way more kickass than just one' >.>
Arm computer - need to get some flashy lights! The box for my new mobile phone is just the right size to make this.
Smart discs - probably will end up having something edible attached to them so I can throw them at people and they can then nom a tasty treat

I really think that's all bases covered. I was discussing the costume with my friend last night and actually I've got off quite lightly with the amount of work I have to do. She has to make wings and a giant sword. HAH. And she can't bend down in her armour. Bwahahaha.

This sounds awesome. I wouldn't be able to dress as a Predator in my hometown.

LadyZero

LadyZero

Have some sketches. The body sketch is headless because you all know what Falconer's helmet looks like. I've tried to make the skirt echo the helm design in a way. Sort of? Maybe.

Wristblaaades. Hell yes. Decided in the end to make them short for practical reasons.

More sketches to follow of the arm computer, which WON'T have 'LIGHTS' written down the middle of it, and the shoulder cannons. Whew!

Terx2

Terx2

Quote from: LadyZero on Aug 07, 2011, 05:46:47 PM
Have some sketches. The body sketch is headless because you all know what Falconer's helmet looks like. I've tried to make the skirt echo the helm design in a way. Sort of? Maybe.

http://i54.tinypic.com/21kc6d1.jpg

Wristblaaades. Hell yes. Decided in the end to make them short for practical reasons.

http://i55.tinypic.com/14x2xwm.jpg

More sketches to follow of the arm computer, which WON'T have 'LIGHTS' written down the middle of it, and the shoulder cannons. Whew!

If your planing on making a wrist computer. Just grab a Nintendo DS and add some little Christmas lights on it. (Me and my friend did that a year ago and he still wears it like the predator when he plays his DS games :laugh:)

Quote from: LadyZero on Aug 07, 2011, 12:00:34 PM

Weapons list so far:

Whip (of course)

Maybe you could add the scar on Scars helmet onto Trackers mask to give the character more life. Or give the whip a more alienish appearance (Like Wolfs awesome weapon he rarely uses). (These are just suggestions. You don't have to use them if you don't want to. :-\)

LadyZero

LadyZero

But I love my DS >.> No, I'm using the box from my phone and some red perspex plus a couple of push-lights to make it all sparkly.

I can't find the Predator alphabet link I had saved, what I want to do is paint 'Mary had a little lamb' on the side of the mask and see if anyone can read it xD I'll probably do a crackle glaze on one side too so it looks like it's been through a war or two.

As for the whip, it's going to have to stay normal (I'm lazy) and I'll probably get it confiscated anyway. Weapons rules at conventions here are ridiculous, I had my Nerf gun taken away at the last one I went to. And my OBVIOUSLY FAKE six-shooter. Pah.

I've done some more sketches of components of the costume, the shoulder armour, the cannons and the skirt specifically. Unfortunately there is zero battery in my camera at the moment so you'll have to wait to see them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed