Aliens Epilogue

Started by friendlyskies, May 22, 2009, 05:53:21 PM

Author
Aliens Epilogue (Read 69,210 times)

Highland

Highland

The music doesn't really fit at all. The music convey's suspense yet the video's showing us something else.

I think it's the style of camera used that's giving it the off look also. It's got that cheap ass "doctor who" feel about it.

Regardless , props to the guy's involved, it's still impressive.

friendlyskies

friendlyskies

Hi guys

Nice to see the trailer is generating discussion :)

To respond to some of the comments about the "look" of the footage.
The film was shot in standard definition on mini DV.
As many of you will no doubt know, this is hardly ideal. However, when production began this was all that was available to us.
Then came the almost overnight revolution of DSLR cameras. If we were beginning this now, we would no doubt choose to use something like a Canon7d or similar but it simply wasn't an option back when we started.
As a result we haven't achieved the cinematic look that we'd all like too see since mini DV doesn't lend itself to colour correction particularly well and the camera didn't allow for depth of field which would also have helped achieve a better look.
Money being no object, we would have hired a different camera but unfortunately money is always a definite object lol.

That said, if we were ever to film something else along these lines we would definitely go with a better camera now since you can hire them pretty cheaply or even to buy one now isn't ridiculously expensive. But it wouldn't have made sense to switch to a DSLR part way through production as the footage would have been so different from the early stuff that we'd have had to refilm everything and that simply wasn't an option.

Constructive criticism is welcome and helpful. I'm hopeful that when released people will enjoy it for what it is. Although I realise that you can never please everybody.
All the guys that worked on this have put a lot of time and effort into it and we've all learnt a lot during the process. If we were to refilm everything and start again now, would it be better, certainly. But of course that's not going to happen. They'd all probably kill me if I said I wanted to reshoot the whole thing lol.
I personally have gained a lot of experience from this and will use that to make our next film even better.

Cheers

Darren

friendlyskies

friendlyskies

Quote from: emperorjordan on May 16, 2011, 09:50:05 PM
QuoteIs supposed to answer some questions from A3 about the egg.

The queen laid it.  Simplest explanation will suffice, rather than bizarre Spunkmeyer/Bishop/Newt put it there in that atypical position due to overcomplicated plot reasons which require countless paragraphs to explain.

Oops.  Can of worms.   ;D

That is a nice simple answer :) but it isn't the one we've gone with. Still gone for a fairly simple explanation mind you. Maybe we could make that into a competition. If people want to send me their theory on how the egg got there and the person who gets it closest to our version will win a copy of the film on DVD when finished. We couldn't announce the winner till the film is released of course :)

Cheers

Darren

SM

SM

QuoteAs many of you will no doubt know, this is hardly ideal. However, when production began this was all that was available to us.

I know exactly how you feel.  I've been trying to finish a Star Wars fan film for years that was shot on miniDV.  It wasn't so much the format it was shot on, but the camera angles the director and DP used.  Some of it was restricted due to extensive green screen use (ie. you can't use a low angle and shoot up because the green screen wasn't high enough.  nor could you shoot down on a subject because what was used  for the floor was a green sheet that was badly lit and wrinkled making compositing excrutiating).

However the location stuff was often shot in the same unexciting fashion.   And a lot of fan films fall into the same trap.  There's so much to think about for so few people, that cinematography often gets left off as long as what is captured is in focus.

I found colour correcting can make things a bit more dramatic, and is relatively simple.  I changed a bunch of scenes to a red tint to simulate emergency lighting which worked quite nicely.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: SM on May 17, 2011, 11:43:15 PM
QuoteAs many of you will no doubt know, this is hardly ideal. However, when production began this was all that was available to us.

I know exactly how you feel.  I've been trying to finish a Star Wars fan film for years that was shot on miniDV.  It wasn't so much the format it was shot on, but the camera angles the director and DP used.  Some of it was restricted due to extensive green screen use (ie. you can't use a low angle and shoot up because the green screen wasn't high enough.  nor could you shoot down on a subject because what was used  for the floor was a green sheet that was badly lit and wrinkled making compositing excrutiating).

However the location stuff was often shot in the same unexciting fashion.   And a lot of fan films fall into the same trap.  There's so much to think about for so few people, that cinematography often gets left off as long as what is captured is in focus.

I found colour correcting can make things a bit more dramatic, and is relatively simple.  I changed a bunch of scenes to a red tint to simulate emergency lighting which worked quite nicely.

This can really make a difference to the final production. Please keep us in the loop about your star wars FF as well!

Highland

Highland

Quote from: friendlyskies on May 17, 2011, 10:14:58 PM
we would no doubt choose to use something like a Canon7d or similar but it simply wasn't an option back when we started.

This was the camera I was thinking about I'm sure. I'm a bit of a fighting game fan and there's a bunch of guy's called Thousand Pounds Production who made some funny combo video's. They obviously do other projects also. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Sm444_zOw#ws

It's amazing the crap you can film and make it look good with good gear and some well timed slow mo!

Like you said though, re-shooting everything would be a real pain. I'm still looking forward to watching it!

Deathly_rYaN

Deathly_rYaN

This Fan Film has potential to be great, but cant wait till they release it. The movie looks really great and hoping that it will live up to the ALIENS film. Maybe if their lucky they can get a deal with H.R Giger and make a good film together. Well im thinking and hoping it will be better than AvP Redemption

Shadow

Shadow

why havn't i checked this earlier? this is awesome!

DarkMajesty

DarkMajesty

I really like the Aliens in the trailer. Can't wait to see this.

Quote from: friendlyskies on May 17, 2011, 10:41:29 PM

The queen laid it.  Simplest explanation will suffice, rather than bizarre Spunkmeyer/Bishop/Newt put it there in that atypical position due to overcomplicated plot reasons which require countless paragraphs to explain.

That is a nice simple answer :) but it isn't the one we've gone with. Still gone for a fairly simple explanation mind you. Maybe we could make that into a competition. If people want to send me their theory on how the egg got there and the person who gets it closest to our version will win a copy of the film on DVD when finished. We couldn't announce the winner till the film is released of course :)

Cheers

Darren

Would we email it to you?

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Deathly_rYaN on May 19, 2011, 02:55:06 AM
Well im thinking and hoping it will be better than AvP Redemption

As far as fan films go AVP: Redemption is among the best.

friendlyskies

friendlyskies

Quote from: DarkMajesty on May 24, 2011, 06:32:24 PM
I really like the Aliens in the trailer. Can't wait to see this.

Quote from: friendlyskies on May 17, 2011, 10:41:29 PM

Cheers

Darren

Would we email it to you?

Email it via contact@aliensepilogue.com or simply message me on here.

Cheers

Darren

friendlyskies

friendlyskies

Quote from: Alien³ on Jun 01, 2011, 09:45:06 AM
Quote from: Deathly_rYaN on May 19, 2011, 02:55:06 AM
Well im thinking and hoping it will be better than AvP Redemption

As far as fan films go AVP: Redemption is among the best.

I would definitely agree with that.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I just received a message from Darren Kemp, the man behind the upcoming Aliens Epilogue and he's recruiting CG animators:

"More talent required for Aliens Epilogue production. We are looking for people to light and animate models that have already been made by Andrew Glazebrook and SanchiEsp for the production. You can see the models in the CGI design section on our website at Aliensepilogue.com. We need people using 3DS Max 2010 or later. This is a no pay gig but you get to be part of the production and will be invited to the Premier at the National Space Centre in Leicester, UK."

If anyone is interested you can contact Darren via the website, Facebook or our forums.

http://www.aliensepilogue.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aliens-Epilogue/352696661466

SM

SM

Ta for that.

SM

SM

Hint - They're looking from someone semi-pro who's preferably had game, film and/ or TV experience.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed