If Alien:Colonial Marines was a phenominal success

Started by acrediblesource, Aug 12, 2018, 07:23:53 PM

Author
If Alien:Colonial Marines was a phenominal success (Read 9,011 times)

SM

QuoteI think it was also partly due to the Hudson "ultimate badass" speech onboard the APC in Aliens (1986).

Problem is though - none of the dialogue in the game put me in mind of anything from the film.  Including Hudson's speech.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 25, 2018, 08:00:46 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Aug 25, 2018, 01:41:01 AM
But A3 & Isolation weren't Alien dialled up to 11, they were respectful and artful expansions on the original.

ACM is anything but.

In Aliens 1986 the whole point is to turn Hudson's perspective on it's head; not to reinforce it.
ACM completely misinterprets every Aliens is, as many of it's fans do.
To be fair, ACM does show the Marines getting steamrolled by the Aliens even when they bring a shitload of Marines and even more guns and stuff to the table.
The Aliens are supposed to be the ultimate threat but the W-Y commandos are more of a problem than they are and they seem to be the main enemies really, since you encounter them far more.
Ultimate badass mode was also quite easy.
The game relied too much on homages and nostalgia. They didn't even get that right either.

gold

gold

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 25, 2018, 01:41:01 AM
But A3 & Isolation weren't Alien dialled up to 11, they were respectful and artful expansions on the original.

ACM is anything but.

In Aliens 1986 the whole point is to turn Hudson's perspective on it's head; not to reinforce it.
ACM completely misinterprets everything Aliens is, as many of it's fans do.

Oh I understand perfectly well that Cameron's concept in A2 was to contrast and illustrate the tragic shortcomings of technologically superior arrogance when faced with low-fi resilience (i.e. the Vietnam war). Conceptually identical to his Avatar films.

I understand that.

But in my opinion ACM just chose to not focus too heavily on that contrast and simply created a gung-ho marine shooter. It showed us that futuristic, way overconfident, boastful and arrogant USMC world Hudson came from. Which I appreciate.

I mean this is straight out of a Hudson fantasy :) :

Right click, open image in new tab for the full carnage.

The Cruentus

And in that world, we have marines that sabotage each other left and right... :P
Keyes destroying the dropship. Keyes killing at least one marine by detonating a grenade in an umbilical. (and losing the flight recorder which Keyes disobeyed orders to get in the first place)

gold

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 25, 2018, 11:18:03 PM
And in that world, we have marines that sabotage each other left and right... :P
Keyes destroying the dropship. Keyes killing at least one marine by detonating a grenade in an umbilical. (and losing the flight recorder which Keyes disobeyed orders to get in the first place)

Yep, they are unlikeable, jock a$$**les, overconfident through superior firepower, pretending to be boastful and tough on the outside but when push comes to shove we see that they are weak minded and only care about themselves, not others. Kind of like Hudson was portrayed.

SM

When push came to shove Hudson stood his ground and fought for his friends.

The Cruentus

Quote from: gold on Aug 26, 2018, 05:22:27 AM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 25, 2018, 11:18:03 PM

Yep, they are unlikeable, jock a$$**les, overconfident through superior firepower, pretending to be boastful and tough on the outside but when push comes to shove we see that they are weak minded and only care about themselves, not others. Kind of like Hudson was portrayed.

I wasn't praising or agreeing with it gold, my comment was about how idiotic the game portrays the marines. The movie has their superior technology fail them but other than a few accidents, they didn't kill each other or sabotage one another out of sheer stupidity or selfishness. And as SM said, Hudson proved his worth in the end.

A:CM is just taking things over the top with their antics.

gold

Quote from: SM on Aug 26, 2018, 09:55:02 AM

Wasn't like he had a choice ;)

Huggs

Quote from: gold on Aug 26, 2018, 09:31:56 PM

I don't mean to belittle Hudson's abilities, but he was riding a fear/combat high. He was finally face to face with what had been scaring him to death. Instincts kicked in, and his body did what it had to do. Hence the "you want some of this" talk he was throwing out.

SM

Of course he had a choice. He could've bolted to medical like Burke did.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Aug 26, 2018, 09:53:37 PM

Of course he had a choice. He could've bolted to medical like Burke did.

I don't think he could have. Nobody was as scared as Hudson. Not even Burke. Burke also had a protective layer of Marines between him and the danger, the possibility of escape felt real and plausible to him. Flight was an option.

Not so for Hudson. He was either going to lock-up completely, or go full-on fight response. He went from scared to death, to "there they are! Come get some Mother***!". I've personally experienced both kinds of responses. You're so frightened, there is no running away. You either lock up, or go wild. Hudson went wild.

SM

The guy who said they were f**ked repeatedly, and flat out refused to go to the uplink tower before anyone even asked him wouldn't run?  Yeah, nah.

Local Trouble

I always wondered how much ammo Hudson had left after overkilling that facehugger in medlab.

The Cruentus

Enough for his last stant at least but if he had survived past that point, he might have run out in the maintenance shaft.

SM

Vasquez did, but she seemed to be a tad more economical.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed