Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 10, 2019, 12:59:28 PM

Author
Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler (Read 88,717 times)

Nightmare Asylum

This praise is all very good to hear. With the exception of Cold Forge (which I am actually in the middle of rereading now, since I haven't touched the book since the week it came out), I've never really been fond of the Alien novels either. With Alex White and Scott Sigler's work now, though, it seems like there's definitely some stuff happening here that I'm going to be immensely enjoying.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 05, 2020, 04:16:57 AM
This praise is all very good to hear. With the exception of Cold Forge (which I am actually in the middle of rereading now, since I haven't touched the book since the week it came out), I've never really been fond of the Alien novels either. With Alex White and Scott Sigler's work now, though, it seems like there's definitely some stuff happening here that I'm going to be immensely enjoying.

From what I can tell, the novels are better when it's the authors that pitch their own ideas than when the author is solicited to do the job. This isn't always the case, but I feel like you can usually tell when the authors are having fun and when they're merely doing a job. That's not to say that every story pitched by the author turns out well, nor that everyone who's a hired hand doesn't have fun.

Finally got my copy of this in the mail and I need to finish a couple unrelated books first but I'm looking forward to this one.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah... that first "trilogy" that Titan/Fox had done featuring a Ripley adventure between Alien and Aliens, Colonial Marines on LV-426 before the events of Aliens, and Weyland-Yutani existing post-Alien: Resurrection just... aren't my jam at all. I don't blame any of that on the authors themselves,  but I also couldn't bring myself to read any of these books. :-\

felix

felix

Getting Phalanx tomorrow. Should i expect surprises?

SM

SM

Yes.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Started this about a week ago, but spent most of this week feeling so ill that reading was just too much effort. As a result I'm only a few chapters in.

Sword and shield/fantasy stuff isn't really my bag, but it's well put together so far and I really like that someone's tried a new direction instead of just setting it in another company lab. Can't say more than that because f*ck-all's happened in the few pages I've read so far :laugh: (Which is certainly not to say it's boring, it's just still busy setting things up.)

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 06, 2020, 10:27:19 AM
Started this about a week ago, but spent most of this week feeling so ill that reading was just too much effort. As a result I'm only a few chapters in.

Sword and shield/fantasy stuff isn't really my bag, but it's well put together so far and I really like that someone's tried a new direction instead of just setting it in another company lab. Can't say more than that because f*ck-all's happened in the few pages I've read so far :laugh: (Which is certainly not to say it's boring, it's just still busy setting things up.)

I raised an eyebrow at the sight of a LotR style map in the front of the book, but I'm here for it. Anything that isn't the typical mad scientist yarn, which is still--when we boil it down--what Cold Forge is.

The Old One

The Old One

The auditor's very real in fact, unfortunately I'm aware of people such as him, and I personally found Blue Marsalis very likeable while complex, scientist, yes, otherwise, no.

SM

SM

Spoiler
This book is a testament to how good an Alien story can be when it's completely free of any continuity constraints.  So much so that the revelations towards the end of the book, while inevitable, were probably the weakest part.  The story wasn't complex.  It almost spends too much time setting things up, but it all pays off later on.  the characters weren't complex - but they were also really well developed.  They start as archetypes, but become more and more fleshed out as the story goes on.

The two best Alien novels for mine are Berserker and Cold Forge.  I'm thinking Phalanx is better than both.
[close]

razeak

razeak

It's very good overall.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't think it's quite to my taste as The Cold Forge, it's good, but I'm obviously biased.

felix

felix

Bought Phalanx yesterday. I think its one of the best Alien books so far.

At first i thought i reading some YA fantasy novel with Xenomorphs in it, but the revelations at the end...

Spoiler
So all this happens hundreds of years after Ripley's time?
[close]

Monster Man

Such high praise, looks like I'll have to pick this up too. And some of ya'll are saying it's better than the Cold Forge?

SM

SM

Quote from: felix on Mar 07, 2020, 11:55:24 PM
Bought Phalanx yesterday. I think its one of the best Alien books so far.

At first i thought i reading some YA fantasy novel with Xenomorphs in it, but the revelations at the end...

Spoiler
So all this happens hundreds of years after Ripley's time?
[close]

Spoiler
At least 320 years after Alien 3 considering the plagiarus nomenclature.
[close]

And yeah it did have a bit of a YA vibe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed