Sigourney Weaver new thought's on Alien 5

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Jun 02, 2014, 06:59:37 PM

Author
Sigourney Weaver new thought's on Alien 5 (Read 58,990 times)

Kimarhi

Naw because then Prometheus would be good.

bah dum tish. 

Lemonade

Nope. It's old school scifi at its finest. They don't make em like Prometheus anymore. God bless Sir Scott.

Kimarhi

It is f**king terribad. 

Bad plot, sloppy editing, poor characters.  It's a shithouse big budget fx piece with big names slapped onto it to draw in the masses. 

Lemonade

That's what I always read from detractors, but never see any examples. It's just people regurgitating three minor things that don't detract from the overall experience. These are: petting the snake, not moving out of the way of the falling ship, and Weyland's makeup.

And you just said "terribad".

SM

They did move out of the way of the falling ship.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 11, 2014, 01:09:46 AM
That's what I always read from detractors, but never see any examples. It's just people regurgitating three minor things that don't detract from the overall experience. These are: petting the snake, not moving out of the way of the falling ship, and Weyland's makeup.

::)

Negro please. 

It's terrible because it is a nonsensical hack job promising to explain the mysteries of creation when it ends up answering nothing at all.  It isn't profound.  It isn't meaningful.  It is an average space exploratory film that is horrendously boring for major portions of its run time where the characters do incredibly stupid things to propel the plot forward. 

If you like it fine.

But I hope to god no other movie in either Prometheus or the Alien series is anything like Prometheus.  It is a pleb tier film on the level of Alien Resurrection.   

Local Trouble

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jun 10, 2014, 06:38:28 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 10, 2014, 05:34:10 PM
Do you guys consider the Gibson script an Aliens clone?

Not the second draft. The first draft, on the other hand...

Fair enough.  The second draft is the one I'd have liked to see.

Lemonade

Lemonade

Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2014, 01:13:07 AM
They did move out of the way of the falling ship.

I know that, and you know that. But many people still complain about this non-issue regarding Vickers.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 11, 2014, 01:48:11 AM
Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 11, 2014, 01:09:46 AM

::)

Negro please. 

It's terrible because it is a nonsensical hack job promising to explain the mysteries of creation when it ends up answering nothing at all.  It isn't profound.  It isn't meaningful.  It is an average space exploratory film that is horrendously boring for major portions of its run time where the characters do incredibly stupid things to propel the plot forward. 

If you like it fine.

But I hope to god no other movie in either Prometheus or the Alien series is anything like Prometheus.  It is a pleb tier film on the level of Alien Resurrection.

The movie didn't promise anything, including answers. It may not be profound or meaningful, but it leaves much to discussion, and that's all I ever ask for a sci-fi film. At least with Prometheus you get myriad different great scenes like: David and the orrery, David alone, engineer sacrifice, c-section, etc.

The movie, lol, did not owe you anything. And couldn't, even if it tried, because it's a... it's a movie. It's not a living organism.

Kimarhi

You owe me my time back from reading your post.

OpenMaw

I will never understand Weaver's denial over not knowing how militaristic Aliens was going to be. It's in the script. Clear as day. Marines with guns. Marines with guns shooting aliens. Yadda-yadda...

I have to agree though, each of the three Alien movies are, if nothing else, fairly distinct from one another in most respects. Though I still think Aliens does a far better job of doing something different from Alien.  It reuses some of the same framework as Alien, but it does a very different story with some of the same plot/action beats. Alien 3 is just kind of a glorious mess. Don't get me wrong, I say that with a lot of love. Alien 3, in either of it's two forms, is a mess. It's surprising it works at all given the BTS BS.

I would enjoy another action-suspense story with the Alien, the problem is you have got to get the characters right. Alien and Aliens still hold the best characters out of the whole series.

I'd love to see a 'Predator' style Alien movie. By that, I mean, using a similar plot/story structure, but using the tools of the Alien universe. Humans entering into a hostile situation, showing a high level of competence, and then having that sudden sharp turn where they come up against the Alien and have to deal with it in ways we haven't yet seen. You could have multiple aliens, or just one, but that's where i'd want an Alien 5 to go, personally. If you wanted, you could include Ripley into that, but frankly her character's time has come and gone. Nobody in Hollywood is going to want to lead off Resurrection. Everyone knows it wasn't a critical hit. Even people who enjoy it.

I doubt Weaver herself has much clout anymore, either. It's been quite some time since she did anything that I found to be particularly stellar or noteworthy. No offense intended to her, either. She's done a lot of amazing stuff in her career. Just not lately. Not that i'm aware of. If someone wants to point to something she's done in the last few years that's truly noteworthy I stand corrected.

Lemonade

I don't think it should be a simple mission movie. Audiences want more nowadays. They need more. Something like Inception. Notice how films like Pandorum don't gross much? That's why I can't wait for Prometheus 2. It'll be another food-for-thought type movie in the Alien universe a'la Prometheus.

It's not about Weaver's clout. If you get Weaver in another Alien movie, with a great director, it has blockbuster potential. A movie with Weaver in the lead role that's not an Alien movie? Okay, question that. But not a Weaver Alien movie.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Lemonade on Jun 11, 2014, 03:09:42 AM
I don't think it should be a simple mission movie. Audiences want more nowadays. They need more. Something like Inception. Notice how films like Pandorum don't gross much? That's why I can't wait for Prometheus 2. It'll be another food-for-thought type movie in the Alien universe a'la Prometheus.

I didn't say it would be a simple "mission" movie. Just borrowing the general idea of competent individuals being thrust into a very sudden change in situation. Something we haven't seen in the series since Aliens.

Inception is a straightforward action-suspense film with one added layer. People enjoy entertainment when it's executed with some finesse. Prometheus was the first film in the series since the early 90s to actually do something of visual scope. It's screenplay shortfalls, thanks Lindelof, are it's biggest failing.

It's not about Weaver's clout. If you get Weaver in another Alien movie, with a great director, it has blockbuster potential. A movie with Weaver in the lead role that's not an Alien movie? Okay, question that. But not a Weaver Alien movie.

I do question it. Severely. The character was laid to rest in 1992, and it should have stayed there.

KiramidHead

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 11, 2014, 03:17:21 AM
Prometheus was the first film in the series since the early 90s to actually do something of visual scope. It's screenplay shortfalls, thanks Lindelof, are it's biggest failing.

I blame Spaihts as much or more than I blame Lindelof, to be frank. His big ideas were about different colored xeno eggs that produced different kinds of xenos. :laugh: And of course Ridley had to cut a bunch of scenes out that would have given the plot some more sanity.

Lemonade

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jun 11, 2014, 03:20:42 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 11, 2014, 03:17:21 AM
Prometheus was the first film in the series since the early 90s to actually do something of visual scope. It's screenplay shortfalls, thanks Lindelof, are it's biggest failing.

I blame Spaihts as much or more than I blame Lindelof, to be frank. His big ideas were about different colored xeno eggs that produced different kinds of xenos. :laugh: And of course Ridley had to cut a bunch of scenes out that would have given the plot some more sanity.

Uh no, Spaihts' idea was that the engineers had a hand in creating humanity. He is a Princeton-educated man, don't shortchange him. He also came up with the caesarean on the spot. That scene got him the job.

And I don't think the eggs were different colors, perse, they were just merely different. I mean, he was hired to write an Alien movie after all.

StrangeShape

I don't think it should be a simple mission movie. Audiences want more nowadays. They need more. Something like Inception. Notice how films like Pandorum don't gross much?

Unfortunately, I dont think thats really the case, otherwise Michael Bays movies wouldnt be such smash hits (transformers). It seems to me its all evened out, some hits are deeper , like Inception as an example given, and some are just pure "thrills" (for some), like Transformers or Avengers

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed