Underrated, Unappreciated, Unrecognized.

Started by Space Sweeper, Jan 24, 2010, 09:17:11 AM

Author
Underrated, Unappreciated, Unrecognized. (Read 183,866 times)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

In this thread, post things that you feel are underrated, unappreciated, and unrecognized.
Everybody has feeling of this kind of thing, and here you can discuss and share that.

Well, since there is no real "place to begin" with my grievances, I'll keep it short for now, and update later.
Modern Warfare 2's story (And the 1st)- Nobody complained about the first one, but discussed so very breifly as it had been Transformers 2. The second installment, however, actually faced criticism. And that criticism was that the story was apparently "too difficult to understand". Really? I understood just about everything on my first playthrough (or as I like to call it my "cinematic playthrough"). And the stuff that you didn't understand immediately? Isn't that one of the qualities of a great story? When you go back, and notice something that you didn't before. The core of the story was actually quite simple, and it (along with a damned powerful musical score) was amazingly emotional. I've never felt so close to a character's emotions in a game then at the part where
Spoiler
you pull the knife out of your chest. It was just so intense, and when the screen started going red, it really showed all of the emotions that Soap was going through at the moment: rage, anguish, sever pain, and determination.
[close]
I would also like to add that I think General Shepherd is one of the greatest villains ever in a game for the pure fact that he caused so much wrong-doing in the story, and unbeknownst to the the player, you were just one of his pawns. Amazing stuff, and it doesn't get the recognition it truely deserves.

James Callis as Gaius Baltar in Battlestar Galactica: If you've seen the show, this one speaks for itself. He is simply revolutionary in that role- and he hasn't recieved a single award for hit. No Emmys, no Golden Globes, nothing. Bullshit, my friends, bullshit.

I think I'm going to go take a cold shower, while a take a break from my rambling- post your grievances, I look forward to seeing all of your guys' steaming angry words!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The 1998 film Godzilla is really underrated if you ask me.
It's a purely awesome movie, panned because it isn't exactly the same as the original. It's a RE-MAKE so problems of this type should not even exist.

MadassAlex

Except criticism against Godzilla 1998 is legitimate since it encapsulated precisely nothing of what made the original movie or monster compelling or even just fun.

Making Godzilla more lithe and agile? Fine. But he should be recognisable as Godzilla to begin with. And what's with the breeding cycle? And the lack of a true breath weapon? And vulnerability to missiles? Just about everything that could be wrong was, in fact, wrong with the creature itself. In addition, the film ignored the nuclear war message the original made so stark and terrifying.

Three years before, we got the film Godzilla vs. Destroyah. Did it have its flaws? Damn right it did. But Godzilla looked like one hell of a mean sonuvabitch, took on a monster born from the technology that originally destroyed him and in a brilliant throwback to his origins, detonated when he died. What the shit was wrong with everyone involved in the 1998 production? Did they think some missile-fearing iguana would ever stack up to the King of the Monsters?

Godzilla is the meanest mofo around. He topples buildings, defeats alien civilisations, has a no-holds barred monster throwdown for no good reason and then f**ks your sister just for good measure. The only way you could ever get anything worse is if he accidentally swallowed a facehugger.

Godzilla 1998 stands as a shining testament of how not to do a remake. It is completely untrue to anything that made Godzilla... Godzilla. The sombre references to the nuclear fury that ravaged Japan in WWII through to the humour both intentional and unintentional makes the Godzilla source material rich, varied and perfectly suited to something that could become compelling to a non-niche market if handled correctly and reverently. The film itself was entertaining, fun and -dare I say it?- decent enough, but it just wasn't Godzilla.

Also, the story of MW2 is a military-obsessed, conspiracy theorist teenager no-lifer's wet dream. The issue is mostly that, while being appreciably audacious, it just didn't make much sense past that.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I would have completely agreed with you if they made this movie a sequel. But since it's a remake, I disagree.
Remake means remake. Reinvention, rewrite. They took Godzilla and reinvented him, rewrote him from the  start.
I would understand criticisms like this if they made Godzilla an evil  cthulhu-like alien from outher space, or something. But it is a giant Reptilian Monster, it has big spikes on his back, it has a breath weapon, obviously different, but it has it. The basic plot is here. Godzilla is born. It attacks a Fish Tank, it goes to a city doing stuff, it is killed.
No, no WW references, but in 1996-1997 new experiments on the French Polynesia were done. A much nearer nuclear threat.
The comparison with Godzilla Vs. Destroyah (which is also a really good movie) doesn't stand simply because it's a sequel. Godzilla is a remake, and thus it isn't even part of the original franchise.
I don't care if the original Godzilla is the Badass of the Badass. To be sincere, watching 28 movies with him winning over everything gets boring. Sure, some of them have a really good plot (Godzilla Vs. Biollante comes to mind), but the rest show almost only this.
Godzilla is what one can call remake, because it really re-makes Godzilla. Remakes like Quarantine are identical to the originals and add nothing new, while Godzilla is really a fresh add.
I discussed this argument so much times that posting this is like playing again a song.

QuoteAlso, the story of MW2 is a military-obsessed, conspiracy theorist teenager no-lifer's wet dream
What's MW2? ???

MadassAlex

Modern Warfare 2. Completely unrelated to Godzilla.

Either way, I question both the legitimacy and point of a remake that scraps everything iconic and meaningful about its source material. Why even call it 'Godzilla' when it's somethingentirely different?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It's not completely different.
Just to say,
Nuclear origins: there
Attack to a fish tank: there
Spikes on the back: there
Breath weapon: there, if different
Size: there
Roar: there

The only things really different from the basic designs are the head, the spikes and the display of the toes.

peanut8

Quote from: "The Space Sweeper" on Jan 24, 2010, 09:17:11 AM
James Callis as Gaius Baltar in Battlestar Galactica: If you've seen the show, this one speaks for itself. He is simply revolutionary in that role- and he hasn't recieved a single award for hit. No Emmys, no Golden Globes, nothing. Bullshit, my friends, bullshit.

I completely and utterly agree. James Callis was just utterly f**king brilliant and he made Gaius Baltar the best character in the series by miles. He even added his own lines by improvising. Star of the f**king series.

ShadowPred

Godzilla 98 is an insult to TOHO and everyone who was ever involved with the Japanese Godzilla and its creation, it ruined the Godzilla name and made him into a f**king joke.

Puks

With the possibility of being stoned to death (literally, not.. eh you know what I mean) I have to say I really like Zilla's design. It was fresh and sexy, the original Godzilla looks really goofy and outdated if you ask me.

However, I have different problems with the movie other than monster design and unfaithfulness to source material. The acting is terrible, the script is extremely predictable and Broderick's level of annoyingness is surpassed only by his blonde girlfriend.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jan 24, 2010, 05:49:44 PM
Godzilla 98 is an insult to TOHO and everyone who was ever involved with the Japanese Godzilla and its creation, it ruined the Godzilla name and made him into a f**king joke.
TOHO insulted itself then! :o

SM

Godzilla had decent effects and nothing else.  Not even the combined powers of Jean Reno and Hank Azaria could save it.

Xhan

and that's a good scale of how awful it was.

MadassAlex

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 24, 2010, 06:05:54 PM
TOHO insulted itself then! :o

Godzilla will always have a certain goof factor, but what?

Heisei Godzilla was pure brutal badass all the time.

SM

MadassAlex

Seriously, I'm shitting enough bricks to build a Catholic cathedral.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed