Sigourney Weaver new thought's on Alien 5

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Jun 02, 2014, 06:59:37 PM

Author
Sigourney Weaver new thought's on Alien 5 (Read 58,985 times)

Kimarhi

I'm not convinced.  Two dudes turned homosexual by a space jockey who later fights an Alien in hand to hand combat sounds right up your alley. 

Cvalda

Nope. That script was turrible.

Blacklabel

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 07, 2014, 11:52:29 PM
I always wanted an Alien Resurrection follow up to have Ripley 8 and Call on the lam as ambiguous lesbian lovers, with Ripley eventually slowly, grotesquely reverting to a more Alien form and Call eventually having to finally put her out of her misery at the climax.

But that's just me >_>

I'd write the hell out of that.  :D Right up my alley.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 08, 2014, 12:13:30 AM
Nope. That script was turrible.

Even the "Feline solution" ?  :laugh:

Hell-Scorpion

I like the lesbian love between Call & Ripley. The other part got kind of creepy.

Kimarhi

especially putting Ripley 8 out of misery during climax.  Unnecessarily cruel. 

whiterabbit

I can't help myself, I want to see Ripley 8 laying eggs. Oh and for the face huger to have human slongs.

BringbackJonesy!

Okay, here's where I stand on this -  Ridley's ALIEN turned out to be an awesome movie back in '79, and happened to make a big star out of Sigourney Weaver along the way.  Deservedly so, as she was great in it.  And then Cameron made her an even bigger star with his excellent sequel, which she was even more terrific in.  But then it was became inevitable that the studio thought the 'ALIEN' franchise was all about getting Sigourney back onboard, no matter what...rather than just concentrating on coming up with a really good 'alien' storyline first and foremost...and so she ended up with the necessary clout to actually dictate how ALIEN 3's storyline should go, amongst other things.

Unfortunately for most fans of the franchise, the direction that she wanted for herself and the storyline of ALIEN 3 was a big disappointment overall compared to the thrills of the previous 2 movies...especially after what had been hinted at in it's teaser trailer.  It turned out to be an unnecessarily downbeat affair throughout...filled with mostly unsympathetic characters and a disappointingly unimpressive alien.  And while interesting to see, it's eventual special edition version didn't improve things any, as far as I'm concerned.  But if that had been the end of Sigourney's involvement in the franchise, then fair enough...even though it was a miserable, and nihilistic final chapter.

...except we then got an even worse follow-up in the shape of the ridiculous ALIEN RESURRECTION!

While I'd rather that the 4th entry had never been made at all, I would still prefer to see some kind of conclusion to 'Ripley clone 8's story, if there's a possibility that Sigourney is up for it still.  One of that movie's many flaws is the fact that that we just end on a kind of open-ended conclusion (in both cuts) to what happens to Sigourney's new character.  Not that I particularly cared either way at the time, as I was so annoyed with what had been done to an initially great franchise...UNTIL I happened to come across this brilliantly conceived 'what if' storyline a while back -

It's written by a guy called Gavin Singleton (formerly known as 'Snorkelbottom' on the site I'm linking to), and is well worth a read for anyone that would like to have some kind of conclusion for 'Ripley clone 8' and the rest of the gang once they landed back on Earth.  Especially as another movie with Sigourney's character is unlikely to come about at this point, despite her latest comments.

This excellent little short story starts at the top of this page, and the writer then continues it in sections throughout the comments underneath over the next 7 pages (so be sure to click onto them at the bottom and keep reading till the end!)  Well worth your time, and I would certainly be open to an ALIEN RESURRECTION follow-up that went along these lines... - 

http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/community/forums/topic/13424

SM

QuoteBut then it was became inevitable that the studio thought the 'ALIEN' franchise was all about getting Sigourney back onboard, no matter what...rather than just concentrating on coming up with a really good 'alien' storyline first and foremost...and so she ended up with the necessary clout to actually dictate how ALIEN 3's storyline should go, amongst other things.

Despite the fact they explored three different scripts that didn't have Ripley.

QuoteUnfortunately for most fans of the franchise, the direction that she wanted for herself and the storyline of ALIEN 3 was a big disappointment overall compared to the thrills of the previous 2 movies...especially after what had been hinted at in it's teaser trailer.  It turned out to be an unnecessarily downbeat affair throughout...filled with mostly unsympathetic characters and a disappointingly unimpressive alien.  And while interesting to see, it's eventual special edition version didn't improve things any, as far as I'm concerned.  But if that had been the end of Sigourney's involvement in the franchise, then fair enough...even though it was a miserable, and nihilistic final chapter.

The story was dictated by Ward, Giler, Hill, Ferguson and Fincher.

QuoteWhile I'd rather that the 4th entry had never been made at all, I would still prefer to see some kind of conclusion to 'Ripley clone 8's story, if there's a possibility that Sigourney is up for it still.  One of that movie's many flaws is the fact that that we just end on a kind of open-ended conclusion (in both cuts) to what happens to Sigourney's new character.  Not that I particularly cared either way at the time, as I was so annoyed with what had been done to an initially great franchise...

The original intention was to do an Alien 5 right after Resurrection.

Russ

Quote from: SM on Jun 08, 2014, 11:12:42 PM
QuoteBut then it was became inevitable that the studio thought the 'ALIEN' franchise was all about getting Sigourney back onboard, no matter what...rather than just concentrating on coming up with a really good 'alien' storyline first and foremost...and so she ended up with the necessary clout to actually dictate how ALIEN 3's storyline should go, amongst other things.

Despite the fact they explored three different scripts that didn't have Ripley.

They did - but still went with Ripley in the end. I think Jonesy's right here -- especially if you take Sigourney's A:R package into consideration (wasn't she a producer on that one too? I'd have to check). The bankable star and all that...

SM

She got a co-producer credit on 3 and Resurrection.  JPJ said she didn't actually do any producing, but since she asked, she got.  However, when you read her diaries at the time she did seem to be doing some producer-like duties; like going into bat for the film when the budget was constantly being hammered by Fox.

HuDaFuK

Wasn't Weaver the driving force behind Ripley dying and the pseudo-Alien love scene in Res?

SM

Driving force is overstating it.  It was a wish list of sorts.

OpenMaw

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 09, 2014, 10:14:07 AM
Wasn't Weaver the driving force behind Ripley dying and the pseudo-Alien love scene in Res?

According to Ward, yeah. He recounts it in the stuff on the quad. She wanted out of the series, so he had her walk out into the fire... And then something happened, the studio wanted an alternate ending, so one of the other characters performed some strange exorcism type of thing to force the queen from her body. Then they of course found their way back to a wall of fire and self sacrifice.

As JC put it, between Alien 3 and Four, she got just about everything she wanted. (No guns, exit from the franchise in Alien 3, and pseudo-implied-maybe-sex with the alien in Res) Though I think if she had her way the alien sex may have been more direct and explicit. I don't know why she wanted to bone the damn Alien, but even in the commentary for the first one she remarks it would have been interesting to play around with that final sequence more and had the Alien more interested. Eeeh...

Corporal Hicks

I'm a little late to this party but...

I'd prefer it they did an original Alien film with new characters, new locations but familiar settings, in the future, with ships or space stations or colonies and etc. That said, Ripley 8 does have some potential in her character arc and what she could do for the story with her connection to the Aliens...but I really don't want it to become grandma vs Aliens and if they did do it, I'd like to see her story finally tied up but left open for spin-offs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed