Marvel's Predator (Volume 1) - Predator: Day of the Hunter

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 18, 2021, 06:30:03 PM

Author
Marvel's Predator (Volume 1) - Predator: Day of the Hunter (Read 68,879 times)

Xiggz456

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 03, 2022, 03:41:22 PMI completely missed #4 was out! Thought I was caught up! Looking forward to having a read.

Yeah we only had to wait 2 weeks since the last issue. But we'll have to wait 5 weeks for issue 5.

We know that this'll be a 6 issue arc so I'm hoping that the next arc is completely unrelated. I'd really prefer it not taking place in the future.

Engineer

QuoteWe know that this'll be a 6 issue arc so I'm hoping that the next arc is completely unrelated. I'd really prefer it not taking place in the future.
Agreed!

BishopWantsIt

When in a story there is a 'hero' and her 'antagonists' and you are parting for the antagonists, you know something went wrong in the creative department.

TilotnyWorshiper28

TilotnyWorshiper28

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Nov 03, 2022, 05:44:25 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 03, 2022, 03:41:22 PMI completely missed #4 was out! Thought I was caught up! Looking forward to having a read.

Yeah we only had to wait 2 weeks since the last issue. But we'll have to wait 5 weeks for issue 5.

We know that this'll be a 6 issue arc so I'm hoping that the next arc is completely unrelated. I'd really prefer it not taking place in the future.

doubt it will be unrelated. we really don't know how much the writer had backlogged while the lawsuit sorted itself out. Theta is probably our main character for until theres a new writer .

I think a lot of people don't like it cause it doesn't feel as predator as it could maybe its the future setting maybe its theta. maybe it feels like something other then predator like a space series like Star Wars or something. like the predators are just there  maybe if they build one up more it will start feeling more like its there book .  like we don't even have a name for the one theta is hunting  its just the three mandibled predator  theta didn't even think to give it a better name make it more personal having a name

PAS Spinelli

This comic is doing to Predator what AvP did to Alien

Xiggz456

Quote from: TilotnyWorshiper28 on Nov 03, 2022, 08:49:25 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Nov 03, 2022, 05:44:25 PM

doubt it will be unrelated. we really don't know how much the writer had backlogged while the lawsuit sorted itself out. Theta is probably our main character for until theres a new writer .

I think a lot of people don't like it cause it doesn't feel as predator as it could maybe its the future setting maybe its theta. maybe it feels like something other then predator like a space series like Star Wars or something. like the predators are just there  maybe if they build one up more it will start feeling more like its there book .  like we don't even have a name for the one theta is hunting  its just the three mandibled predator  theta didn't even think to give it a better name make it more personal having a name

It's hard to say whether the next arc will be related as we all assumed that Alien was going to be an ongoing series following Cruz and that ended up being its own 6 issue arc with the next one being almost completely unrelated. I'd assume that the writer probably didn't write any additional stories during the lawsuit as that would be a potential waste if the lawsuit had gone differently. Now that the series is four issues deep though I'd assume another arc is in the works so we shall see soon enough whether we continue to follow Theta or get something new.

As for people not liking it, I totally understand why folks wouldn't as this story is tonally not in line with Predator. I'm still finding some enjoyment from the series but it feels unrealistic on several fronts to a pretty high degree. Like it kinda feels like an over the top anime version of Predator to me which is fun but I usually don't have to suspend my disbelief this much for a Predator story.

happypred

happypred

Maybe they could jump back in time with the next arc?Not against a future/interstellar setting, but there's been no "world building" to flesh out this new Predator setting. The Preds so far have been getting butchered left and right with little tension. Maybe jump back to show us how Theta grew into such a deadly, hardened warrior.

Imo good Aliens media touches upon some of the  cosmic mystery behind the Aliens. Good Predator media dips, though not too deeply, into Pred culture and sprinkles a few Pred individuals with personality and maybe even growth. At the end of the day, Preds are a bit more like humans than the utterly alien Aliens.

Spoiler
For example, instead of beating multiple random Preds sequentially, the opening arc could've had Theta matching wits and skills against one Pred...or even a pair/trio...across a multi-issue extended encounter. More flashbacks and internal monologue could be worked in to explain Theta's abilities. Maybe Theta even has an old combat android assisting her, an android who functions as friend and mentor...someone who might actually "die" to build tension. With a tighter focus, the readers learn about Theta, but the Preds also feel more like interesting characters in their own right, and there'd be more stakes.
[close]

These are just ideas I came up with on the fly, but I think there's a lot of wasted potential with Marvel's actual approach.

TilotnyWorshiper28

I think we might see a change next arc as predator doesn't have a solicitation for February 2023 so there either taking a month off or were getting a announcement of some sort of creative change  (mind you in the Star Wars line  doctor aphra, Vader and Bounty hunters on goings do take a month off so the creative team can recharge ) so it might be nothing

Xiggz456

Issue 5 was solid! Looking forward to the conclusion!

Engineer

I'm pretty disappointed with this story arc...

(Xiggz456, not trying to take away from your enjoyment; if you're loving them don't let me or anyone else take that away from you... it's not my intention to do that anyway)

... have they released any solicitations or previews or anything for the story arc AFTER this one yet? I'm curious to know if they intend to continue down this current path or if they're changing directions entirely after this...

TilotnyWorshiper28

Quote from: Engineer on Dec 13, 2022, 04:28:40 AMI'm pretty disappointed with this story arc...

(Xiggz456, not trying to take away from your enjoyment; if you're loving them don't let me or anyone else take that away from you... it's not my intention to do that anyway)

... have they released any solicitations or previews or anything for the story arc AFTER this one yet? I'm curious to know if they intend to continue down this current path or if they're changing directions entirely after this...

not yet I've been looking for any

Xiggz456

Quote from: Engineer on Dec 13, 2022, 04:28:40 AMI'm pretty disappointed with this story arc...

No worries I get it and while I do find the story charming I don't necessarily think it makes for a good Predator story. I really hope the next arc is completely unrelated.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I enjoyed #5. Was nice to see Theta in a bit more of a vulnerable position and that last splash page was gorgeous.

Nelostic

Spoiler
Teta again killed last predator so easy

Mary Sue!

She Is typical marvel character!
Comix alien and Comix Predator are Typical disney marvel comix about super heroes but dark! now!

Oh new Era so cringe!
But i wait engineers and predator engineers come to AvP!

Yes
After all of it
Need crossover AvP!

It will be cringe too! but ok!
There will be cool battles!
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed