Marvel's Alien (Volume 2) - Alien: Icarus

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 20, 2022, 08:50:29 AM

Author
Marvel's Alien (Volume 2) - Alien: Icarus (Read 39,395 times)

Engineer

I say "yes" because something like "Dead Orbit" comes around and shows us that the well isn't really dried up. It's a matter of hiring the right talent; marvel has yet to hire the right talent imo.

Corporal Hicks

I've liked a lot of elements or concepts in PKJ's run, but it's just not coming together for me. I dig the the whole idea of this entire line of Aliens being descended from something special. I dig the idea of a synthetic team - but they're running around with scifi melee weapons as a way to show off how strong and amazing they are, and it's just not there for me.

I am loving Juluis Ohta's work on this though! Thatpage
Spoiler
where he rips his eyeballs out
[close]
in issue #4 looks fantastic, even if that's another section I raised an eyebrow at, despite loving the visuals.

bobby brown

Quote from: Engineer on Dec 23, 2022, 12:34:51 AMI say "yes" because something like "Dead Orbit" comes around and shows us that the well isn't really dried up. It's a matter of hiring the right talent; marvel has yet to hire the right talent imo.

I liked Dead orbit, But it played it very safe. How many Dead orbits can you make and retain a mainstream appeal?

Xiggz456

Issue 4 was pretty crazy! But I have to agree that the melee weapons seem a bit silly. Although I am still thoroughly enjoying the premise of an all synth spec-ops team.

Spoiler
Wondering if Lee is turning into the Goddess or she's just an Abomination.
[close]

Haven't heard anything from PKJ regarding another arc at this point so I think we may be getting a creative shake up. Time will tell but as I've said before, after an author writes a trilogy, I always feel that it's then time to give someone else a shot.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: bobby brown on Dec 23, 2022, 10:31:03 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Dec 23, 2022, 12:34:51 AMI say "yes" because something like "Dead Orbit" comes around and shows us that the well isn't really dried up. It's a matter of hiring the right talent; marvel has yet to hire the right talent imo.

I liked Dead orbit, But it played it very safe. How many Dead orbits can you make and retain a mainstream appeal?

Dead orbit is exactly what I want more of

QuoteHaven't heard anything from PKJ regarding another arc at this point so I think we may be getting a creative shake up. Time will tell but as I've said before, after an author writes a trilogy, I always feel that it's then time to give someone else a shot.
I hope you're right. PKJ would have to be at the bottom of my list for alien comic writers at this point.

TilotnyWorshiper28

alien is missing from marvel's solicitations for march so its either skipping a month or were heading for a creative shake up volume 3 in April 

Nelostic

I happy what Species go to Marvel Alien

I want transformation
Species to Some alien queen!
In final!))

judge death

judge death

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 23, 2022, 09:17:39 AMI've liked a lot of elements or concepts in PKJ's run, but it's just not coming together for me. I dig the the whole idea of this entire line of Aliens being descended from something special. I dig the idea of a synthetic team - but they're running around with scifi melee weapons as a way to show off how strong and amazing they are, and it's just not there for me.

I am loving Juluis Ohta's work on this though! Thatpage
Spoiler
where he rips his eyeballs out
[close]
in issue #4 looks fantastic, even if that's another section I raised an eyebrow at, despite loving the visuals.
I find it funny how they make new designs of xenos that dont really make sense from how xenos work and some are clearly inspired by other franchises, like these small larvae xenos that goes inside the mouth of people: ripoff idea from starship troopers 2, and the writer dont even know how these tie in with xenomorph biology/lore, he never explains where they came from or how they are made, what causes facehuggers to become centerpide facehuggers that does things previous facehuggers couldnt, alpha alien etc. It just feel like thrown on the wall because its cool and new but have very little thought behind it and wont even bother trying to work into the lore and explain things, like bethesda: its just works, we dont know why mentality.

Theres clear walls of what one can do in the alien franchise and whats it built onto, we know from prometheus up to Alien resurrection how the technology of the world is like, military uses weapons that fire bullets, missiles etc.

In comes someone who now decide lightsabers is a thing of this world and laser guns, extremly large meele weapons like its medieval age again and somehow its effective against xenomorphs, and crossbows wtf? In an era set after Aliens where marines have way more grounded in reality weapons, I dont see soldiers walking around with large axes or androids when there are much more effective weapons around for this time era. Assault rifles, grenades, napalm flamethrowers, Sadar, sonic wallbreakers etc.These new weapons and lightsabers etc dont fit into alien universe which is more grounded in reality and industrial era designs.

Dead orbit was great,and I wouldnt mind seeing more of that or heck aliens labyrinth or new earth war style dark comic, aliens dust to dust was great too. Heck I have several stories set in the alien franchise that uses the foundation of what is established and not create something that isnt fitting in that I would love to create into several comics and read.
Theres so much to use in this franchise theres no need to add technology from star wars to make it new and exciting....

Kradan

Kradan

Still haven't read a single Alien comic produced by Marvel and everything I've been hearing sure doesn't make me any more interested to check it out

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: judge death on Dec 27, 2022, 03:04:00 AMIn comes someone who now decide lightsabers is a thing of this world and laser guns, extremly large meele weapons like its medieval age again and somehow its effective against xenomorphs, and crossbows wtf? In an era set after Aliens where marines have way more grounded in reality weapons, I dont see soldiers walking around with large axes or androids when there are much more effective weapons around for this time era. Assault rifles, grenades, napalm flamethrowers, Sadar, sonic wallbreakers etc.These new weapons and lightsabers etc dont fit into alien universe which is more grounded in reality and industrial era designs.

Yeah, I think this is a bad call. It just seems like one of those shorthand ways of trying to show how amazing Steel Team is compared to normal meatbag marines, but it just veers the tone of the series too far off base. I mean, sure we've had swords in Music of the Spears, but that was interesting in spite of that.

Some of the other elements that aren't explained - they irritate the hell out of me, but I have to wonder if they're left dangling for future arcs. I think I spoke about it on the Series 2 podcast, but I wonder how unfair I'm being disliking things like that if it's just another chapter in a story we haven't finished.

Nelostic

This girl species after black goo
Like in prometheus?

Nelostic

TilotnyWorshiper28

Alien #5 was a good issue 

Nelostic

Now wait Marve Alien 6! Final!
Andi hope in this year will be anounced
Marvel AvP!
8)

Xiggz456

Issue 5 was fantastic! This has definitely been my favorite arc so far from Marvel.

Spoiler
In the beginning blurb/recap they mention the pathogen being responsible for abominations so I'm starting to think that the Goddess/Woman in the Dark is definitely an abomination who is evolving into a Fulfremmen/The Perfected from the RPG. When first reading through the "Heart of Darkness" campaign I speculated that the Fulfremmen was most likely influenced by the Goddess but after this issue I really think they may be one and the same.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed