Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,242 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, one thing that bugs me about a lot of comics (be it superhero, Star Wars, etc.) is that the runs tend to be simply named after the lead character, and when a new creative team or a new run starts, the numbering often resets but there is no subtitle to differentiate runs. It makes it pretty confusing to get into stuff when there's a big backlog, if you haven't been following since day one.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: judge death on Dec 08, 2020, 12:10:22 AM
where can I find that database?
Ok that explains it a bit with how these darth vader comics are designed, confused me a lot.

The site is just called Marvel Database.

Perfect-Organism

No, no, no, no!  No bendy tongue!  Egads!!

lol

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Ehhhhh, the only time we see the second tongue is when it kills someone so it never ruled out if it can even bend in the first place. Oddly, it also adds a flavor of being demonically perverse, that same artistic vision of H.R Giger's of the alien being violent, sexual, unknown, and parasitic, kind of like a throwback to the scene where the alien tail was going up to Lambert's cooch right before it killed her. Other than that, I think its just art cover.

As for the "new breed", after Hive Wars with the red aliens and the tusk faced ones in those crystal caves, I doubt its going to be something that has negative impact to the lore. I expect something good if they are going to go bold and strong with that tag line, those are fighting words right there  :laugh:

Perfect-Organism

Alien Resurrection set the precedent for the bendy tongue.  It looked silly back then, and looks more so now.

Huggs

The more it's used, the more flexible it becomes.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Haven't listened to it yet: http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/audio/podcasts/the-fanbase-weekly/item/11466-fanbase-feature-an-exclusive-interview-with-writer-phillip-kennedy-johnson-on-crafting-the-first-alien-story-from-marvel-comics

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 08, 2020, 06:36:48 AM
Haven't listened to it yet: http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/audio/podcasts/the-fanbase-weekly/item/11466-fanbase-feature-an-exclusive-interview-with-writer-phillip-kennedy-johnson-on-crafting-the-first-alien-story-from-marvel-comics

So from what I've listened to so far - sounds like the intent is it be an ongoing series with mini-arcs like any of the other Marvel titles. First arc seems to be under the working title of Bloodlines/Spring. Marvel seems to have been hands-off editorially with this one, with the only real thing being they wanted to replicate Aliens which Johnson pushed back on, and seems to be going for more of an Alien-vibe.

DNA reflex seems like it is coming into play here. But the original Big Chap is going to be represented. We'll see more Gigeresque design elements too.

Johnson considers this his best work.

HuDaFuK

Sounds interesting.

Russ840

I like that marvel have gone with 'ALIEN'.

Im very interested.

Drukathi

Drukathi

I definitely like the cover.

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 08, 2020, 12:58:12 AM
Oddly, it also adds a flavor of being demonically perverse, that same artistic vision of H.R Giger's of the alien being violent, sexual, unknown, and parasitic, kind of like a throwback to the scene where the alien tail was going up to Lambert's cooch right before it killed her.

Yes. This. If the tongue is a kind of ovipositor, it will be great!
Although I think the flexible tongue is very soft and not capable of piercing a predator/marine helmet or even just a skull. Only soft tissues. Simply put - a flexible tongue looks soft, weak. But as I said - Alien can use the tongue to reproduce. Not for attack.
But with the art itself, everything is fine. I really like the style and the details. It seems that the artist respects the Alien.

humanpredator

humanpredator

Cover art is gorgeous. Plot is small and simple.  Looking good.

P1NK8C1DBOOTS

YESSSS!!! Excited to see where Marvel takes us!

judge death

The release in mars, will it be those small paperback issues or will it be those completed volumes with the whole story collected in one comic? PRefer the latter one as these trade backs arent my thing and they are way too short and takes much space so if thats the case I will wait until they release the whole story collected like dark horse did with defiance and all their series.

Just praying that wont mean I will miss something.

Also praying they wont break the lore and do the xeno stories for causual and childish type, artwork seem to indicate otherwise but we havent heard anything of the story or the gore art, plus that they dont break the lore and do whatever with the xenomorphs, prefer if they stick to what we know from the alien 1-3 movies and the dark horse comics, those that are canon that will say.

Just have to wait and see but if they keep tracing like they mention its a big turnoff for me.

Xiggz456

f**k yes! Glad Marvel isn't wasting any time with the license! I'm cautiously optimistic but I like that the title is ALIEN singular. Also interested that the main protagonists are WY employees so I'm excited to see how that'll play out. As for Larroca he did a solid job on the Star Wars ongoing but as some have pointed out it was clear that he photoshopped the actors faces which was kind of weird looking (the original characters looked fine though). 2021 is already looking promising on the ALIEN side of things with 2 novels, the RPG extension and now this!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed