Requiem turns 10 this year!

Started by D88M, Feb 03, 2018, 01:29:44 AM

Author
Requiem turns 10 this year! (Read 8,272 times)

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 03, 2018, 03:37:19 PM
It amazes me that people find any enjoyement in that movie. To me, Requiem represents the absolute rock bottom for both franchises.

Same, there are folks that actually think Aliens: Colonial Marines is brilliant....which it is obviously not but it is their opinion so one must respect that even if to us it is barmy.
I myself like Alien 3, not for the Hicks and Newt death but for introducing a new Alien type, and the tone that shows how cruel or indifferent the universe is. Ripley is the hero but she did not have plot armor, she got infected and had a death sentence. Alien 3 is not the best so I think others can find it odd when folks like me enjoy it.  :laugh:

Requiem is just the worst and ten years later, it still is the worst. I don't know what went on behind the scenes to have affected the film, I know fox has an infamous reputation for meddling with movies, Alien 3 being a well known example.  Also the Strauss brothers were new and didn't have a reputation, meaning that would not have been able to get much say with the studio. This is one film that will not get better with age or looked upon better in the future. While movies like Predator and The Thing may have been given less than stellar reviews initially, that was because the movies (at least the latter) were ahead of themselves and were later appreciated better years later.

It is also worth mentioning that critics and audiences are not the same, I mean sometimes the critics are right as the audience will share the same view with them when the film is really good or if it really is that bad, i.e AVPR, but sometimes the critics don't always get the movie or they try to take it either too seriously or are looking for something that is not there, while average audiences go to movies to watch and enjoy it without burdening themselves with looking for hidden meanings etc. Sometimes the reverse is true in that critics will love the movie but the audience, or least the fans anyway; will have a less favorable view i.e Covenant.

I guess my point is that unlike The Thing or The Predator, Requiem is viewed as bad by everyone, there is nothing in there that is being missed by anyone, no hidden meanings, no depths, no "ahead of itself" stuff. its just what you see and 10 years or 20 years, it will still be remembered as the worst movie (as of currently) in the franchise.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 09, 2018, 07:46:52 AM
Requiem is at worst the second best AvP movie.
I see what you did there...

Huggs

Huggs

I was in college at the time. I remember watching leaked footage of the creatures and fight scenes before classes, it looked much more mature and therefore more promising than the first film. I was really excited to see it. I still prefer it to the first one. I don't get why it takes so much more flack. There are no cheesy predator human team-ups. Is it because it's set in a town and not Antarctica or a temple? Oh well, I admit it was far too dark to see anything on the dvd, but when I picked it up on bluray it's just as clear as a bell. Love the unrated version. The characters are a non-issue for me. I just love it for the set pieces and the creatures.

Don't get me wrong, I think both movies were rather bad, in many ways. But I would like to see somebody finally make a good one. Perhaps between the Disney deal, and the new Predator movie, interest may be rekindled.

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Huggs on May 16, 2018, 04:12:11 AMbut when I picked it up on bluray it's just as clear as a bell. Love the unrated version.
Wait really? Which bluray? I need this now I only have it on DVD

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: HybridNewborn on May 16, 2018, 04:23:03 AM
Quote from: Huggs on May 16, 2018, 04:12:11 AMbut when I picked it up on bluray it's just as clear as a bell. Love the unrated version.

The AVP double feature. It's not lit up like a Pixar movie, but I could finally tell what the heck I was looking at. The dvd was more like an audio drama.  :D

SM

SM

:laugh:

Vermillion

Vermillion

Quote from: Huggs on May 16, 2018, 04:31:12 AM
Quote from: HybridNewborn on May 16, 2018, 04:23:03 AM

The AVP double feature. It's not lit up like a Pixar movie, but I could finally tell what the heck I was looking at. The dvd was more like an audio drama.  :D

Lol!!  Audio drama [emoji12]

HybridNewborn

HybridNewborn

Sweet, thanks :)

Wweyland

Wweyland

Maybe re-considering AvP:R as an audio drama makes it better.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Wweyland on May 19, 2018, 06:26:39 PM
Maybe re-considering AvP:R as an audio drama makes it better.

It worked for me for many years. I didn't even know it had aliens in it until I saw the blu-ray. I just always thought it was an apocalyptic story of survival about a displaced horseshoe crab making his way to the ocean, as a mutated and invasive new species of badger overtake some town in Oregon during the end of the world.

IZE

IZE

Rewatched it last night for the first time in about a year and a half, ive honestly never thought it was an abomination like soooooo many reviewers on IMDb and some fans on here think. Anything with Vs. in the title is not going for spectacular storytelling or Academy Award worthy performances its here to deliver carnage and creature violence in full force. Which is exactly what Requiem did for me.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: IZE on May 30, 2018, 07:45:37 PM
Rewatched it last night for the first time in about a year and a half, ive honestly never thought it was an abomination like soooooo many reviewers on IMDb and some fans on here think. Anything with Vs. in the title is not going for spectacular storytelling or Academy Award worthy performances its here to deliver carnage and creature violence in full force. Which is exactly what Requiem did for me.

This is... baffling.

IZE

IZE

And im talking about the Unrated Edition if that makes a difference, the Theatrical cut is a bit of a mess especially that opening sequence. Don't get me wrong there are things that i don't like about it, the continuity errors, the ending the lighting although the blu ray i think helps a bit.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Nobody expected high art. Though it is bullshit to say that AVP can't be just as good as OG Predator and Alien.

- The modern setting is an issue, even moreso than the first film, because at least Antarctica was isolated. Even though it went against what we know about Predator behavior to be hunting in the super chill ass cold.

- The human characters suck and are literally there just to die.

- The Predators in the opening are idiots.

- The Aliens are pushovers.

- The main story line for the main characters is lame.

- The violence is ultimately dull and pedestrian.

- The Predalien has a stupid reproductive method.

- The national guard scene is a completely wasted opportunity.

Huggs

Huggs

AVP can and should be done right. But it would need to be on the level of Aliens or Gibson's Alien 3. Space, equipment, marines, a good script. Even something like the first novel. Unfortunately, you're not going to get that for 40 million dollars. Almost anything can be great, if given enough time and money. But those are two things AVP is never gonna have, unless by some miracle Disney decides to go for it and invest $150mil on AVP3. But what are the odds of that?

If we could just welcome some billionaires into the fanbase we wouldn't have this problem.  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed