Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game

Started by Manchu, Oct 10, 2013, 03:38:58 PM

Author
Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game (Read 393,162 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Jeryagor on Mar 27, 2016, 10:04:39 PM
Still waiting for my miniatures from the Kickstarter. Those guys are a shame, they are more than a year late and do not even answer backer's emails. :/
I got my core box set but none of my add-ons/stretch goals yet.

PRJ_since1990

Corporal Hicks

Played another couple of games this weekend. We had to relearn the rules again though so we ended up getting some rules completely wrong. I played Aliens this time and just got completely destroyed. They seem so underpowered. Need to check out the official forums and see if there's been any erratas.

Denton Smalls

How sturdy are the miniatures? I was going to look into the possibility of getting some but I also recently got the Diamond Select Aliens vs Colonial Marines army bag and those things are surprisingly well-sculpted and are made out of quality hard rubber/plastic. Just need some paint.

hardcorps54

i played as all faction, won with all and lost with all in various games. the aliens work best if you use the surroundings to your advantage, skulk in , use the superior numbers, you will loose alot getting mowed down at times by marines of predators, i use the stalkers to rush enemies using the hive bloodhound skill, once the aliens engage with enemies then they have the upper hand as their CC skill is pretty good. also try drawing the prey in using hide and or skulking advance in infested terrain. thats how i won anyway

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Denton Smalls on Jul 12, 2016, 02:19:01 PM
How sturdy are the miniatures? I was going to look into the possibility of getting some but I also recently got the Diamond Select Aliens vs Colonial Marines army bag and those things are surprisingly well-sculpted and are made out of quality hard rubber/plastic. Just need some paint.

They're not something you want to be throwing around. Usual 8mm kind of models.

Quote from: hardcorps54 on Jul 12, 2016, 03:16:53 PM
i played as all faction, won with all and lost with all in various games. the aliens work best if you use the surroundings to your advantage, skulk in , use the superior numbers, you will loose alot getting mowed down at times by marines of predators, i use the stalkers to rush enemies using the hive bloodhound skill, once the aliens engage with enemies then they have the upper hand as their CC skill is pretty good. also try drawing the prey in using hide and or skulking advance in infested terrain. thats how i won anyway

We were playing the boardgame version with the missions in the rulebooks. So only several panels of hived terrain. I've only played a few games so I'm not to full grips with it yet.

hardcorps54

Quote from: Denton Smalls on Jul 12, 2016, 02:19:01 PM

like hicks said , dont throw them about and you will be fine, the tails are pretty fragile and the powerloader too (had to reglue the arm back on 3 times) but if treat them with care then you will be fine, the detail is outstanding so its a trade off IMO of detail Vs robustness.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 12, 2016, 03:20:02 PM
We were playing the boardgame version with the missions in the rulebooks. So only several panels of hived terrain. I've only played a few games so I'm not to full grips with it yet.

we played the skirmish modes and also just made death match games ourselves, tend to miss the out the missions as i play it with 4-6 players, but i have enough models painted differently to make it that there is 2 distinct squads/clans/breed for each faction, the missions we have played have varied greatly tho , trying different tactics and the luck of the rolls

PRJ_since1990

I still have yet to play the game, let alone paint all the models. I have some of the Aliens completed. It's a long term project that my cousin is helping me do. I'll post some pics of the completed ones soon.

Corporal Hicks

Sorry, not the greatest pictures in the world. I started putting my stuff together today. Just the Stalkers and one Predator left to do. Planning on ordering some Sulaco bases to put them on and then take a wack at painting.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm looking at getting some of the Sulaco bases. Does anyone know what size bases I'll be needing for what?

hardcorps54

hardcorps54

30mm - marines, WY commandos, alien stalkers/infants/warriors, sentry guns
40mm - predators, power loader, predalien
50mm - queen ... not sure about the rest as these are the models i have, it states on bottom of stat cards if that helps

Corporal Hicks

Thanks. Didn't realize it said them on the cards. I've brought some of those Sulaco base inserts. Looking forward to actually putting these on the stands and having a go at painting. Can't wait to see how bad they look.  :laugh:

hardcorps54

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 28, 2016, 07:55:38 AM
Thanks. Didn't realize it said them on the cards. I've brought some of those Sulaco base inserts. Looking forward to actually putting these on the stands and having a go at painting. Can't wait to see how bad they look.  :laugh:

the aliens are a doddle to paint, i hated doing my powerloader, took me soooooo long to do and get it to stage i am happy with. i enjoyed painting the predators the most tho. good luck tho  :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Any painting tips?  ;D

windebieste

windebieste

Practice on a piece of junk. 

Go and buy a $2.50 bag of of those shitty little plastic soldiers and practice your skills on those.  No one cares if you mess them up. 

-Windebieste.

Here, these little arseholes will make perfect guinea pigs for your budding painting talents and torture. 

Looks like there's green and silver available.  Always go for the lighter colour - silver in this case.  It will more easily match the white figures you already have. 

Normally, it's advisable to wash the figures first with some soapy water to get rid any grease and detritus that may be adhering to them.  Them rinse 'em again.  Then you can start with a light base colour and add darker details on top.  Using shitty little test subjects like these means you can experiment on them as much as you like - and f**king them over is half the fun!  Draw dicks and swastikas on them, too, if you like.  No one will care how you treat 'em. 

The last thing you want to do is start working on your good figures and mess them up if you are not ready to do so regardless of any techniques people give you.  Like a lot of things in life, you will want to practice and learn.  Shitty toys can be fun to paint, too!  Mess around with colour schemes you would normally be averse to using and practice, practice, practice until you know the result you get is the desirable one. 

Then - and only then - will you be ready to seriously apply coatings to those Aliens and stuff you got there. 

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed