Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game

Started by Manchu, Oct 10, 2013, 03:38:58 PM

Author
Aliens v. Predator - The Hunt Begins Miniatures Game (Read 396,163 times)

[cancerblack]

Yeah I'll take a few snaps later today for you. It's actually pretty simple, but it really pops off with the slightly cartoony style I'm doing the boardgame models in.

[cancerblack]

Some of the Prodos bases, as promised:

razeak

Awesome. Thank you. Those give me some great ideas.

Kradan

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 13, 2021, 11:12:32 AM

I'm not sure what these are supposed to be. Looks like an Alien crawling out of some piece of machinery to me. But where's its legs and second arm ?

[cancerblack]

The angles don't show it well, but they're bunched into the gap under the servo-arm.

Kradan

Ah, I see. Nice paintjob !  ;)

Corporal Hicks

Those scenery ones are fantastic. One of the reasons I really liked the unicast models. I love the ones of the Aliens emerging from something.

[cancerblack]

Yeah, my favourites are the Warrior coming out of a pipe and the more heavily cluttered Prisoner bases:

Eighty-Five

Wow, [cancerblack] :o

Inspiring stuff.

I just got back into the modelling hobby and acquired/dug up a few Aliens models. Wasn't really sure how to paint them because most paintjobs I've seen online have been really lazy drybrush/wash speedpaint jobs that don't do the models justice. this definitely gives me some food for thought when it comes to painting my own.

[cancerblack]

Thanks Eighty-Five. Honestly though, most of my stuff is wash and drybrush, I just do multiple layers and finish with a few manual details.

Eighty-Five

I can tell, but your work on the xenos' heads and the overall results made me think twice haha. I just kept seeing a lot of 'tutorials' for these that really were as simple as 'black undercoat, drybrush heavily with x colour, wash with black, done'.

This certainly feels a lot less low-effort and gives a much nicer finished look. I always kinda feel like drybrushing is cheating nowadays and I worry about it making my models look really chalky. But some of the details on my own GF9/Prodos aliens is ludicrously fine and I don't think my hand is steady enough to highlight it in my usual way so I'm reconsidering haha.

[cancerblack]

Generally speaking you can avoid the chalkiness by using a slightly better quality brush than you might normally want to "waste" on drybrushing, doing more than one layer of it with washes between stages/doing progressively lighter/brighter tones, and finishing it with a glaze to take the edge off.

Picture dump of AvP stuff that's all mostly just drybrush, wash and glazes:

And a sample of Games Workshop stuff that was painted in a more "traditional" miniatures style, since I'm going through the ol' imgur:

Spoiler

[close]

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

Them's some tasty paintjobs, man. I really love those slightly bronze-toned guys at the top, especially the (dread-free!) Predalien conversion. Reminds me of my childhood Kenner Scorpion Alien, sadly lost to the jaws of a dog called Rosie many moons ago. Really wish I could get my hands on one or two of those Giger-esque Praetorians, but all I can ever find on aftermarket are the more AvP styled Royal Guards(?)

I'm gonna do some test schemes on a few GF9 guys cause they're cheap, plastic and easily stripped with degreaser. You've definitely given me some inspiration.

(Love that 3rd edition Hive Tyrant btw, I know the sculpt is kinda goofy but imo it has a way cooler silhouette than the newer kit)

[cancerblack]

Cheers mate. The bronzey ones are for "army level" projects, while the brighter stuff is mostly mono-pose and for boardgaming.

Re: Praetorians, the multi-part and slightly larger version was on the market for much longer than the smaller, mono-pose ("unicast") version, which may be part of the reason for that. Unless I have your meaning backwards.

And yeah, I have a huge soft spot for that old Tyrant. Speedpainted another one with the new Contrast paints recently too. Perhaps unsurprisingly at this point, it amounts to washes and drybrush too:

Spoiler
[close]

Eighty-Five

Heads-up for anyone who wanted an APC but never got their hands on one from Prodos:

Gale Force 9 (the Glorious Day in the Corps company) are now taking direct-only pre-orders for a resin APC kit. Since all their minis are pretty much in scale with Prodos this seems like a pretty good thing for marine collectors.

Check it out: https://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=13823

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed