Something is brewing on Instagram...

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 20, 2018, 06:48:28 PM

Author
Something is brewing on Instagram... (Read 67,613 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Mobile or MMO, ugh.

I hope not.

Perfect-Organism

Agreed.

whiterabbit

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 06, 2019, 01:21:21 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 06, 2019, 12:43:38 AM
People still get excited over speculation and conjecture? Damn I am getting too old for this.

Right? Why get excited when there is new material being released featuring my favorite franchise? the franchise I enjoy so much i became a member of a fansite just to talk about it.

I know, such a strange reaction for a fan to have.
When Prometheus was announced I was so excited and pumped... it's been only 8 years or so since then, what the f**k has happened to me. Was turning 40 really that bad of a thing? :'(

The Old One

The Old One

If Prometheus soured you, I don't blame you.
It was a MASSIVE missed opportunity.

Perfect-Organism

I thought it was about 85% in terms of its potential.  It answered many questions, and none of them were obvious.  It took the mythos in a completely unexpected direction.  The dumb stuff that characters did, or the lack of a Giger aesthetic are its main detriments.

The Old One

The Old One

What about the terrible writing and characters?

To me it was about 45%, the visuals are gorgeous-
some ideas, generally are intriguing
but the execution's terrible; no substance.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 06, 2019, 02:17:56 AM
If Prometheus soured you, I don't blame you.
It was a MASSIVE missed opportunity.

Great demo material for a home theater though.

whiterabbit

But I love Prometheus even though I don't like the majority of the characters.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 06, 2019, 02:33:50 AM
What about the terrible writing and characters?

To me it was about 45%, the visuals are gorgeous-
but there's very little substance.

The characters were memorable enough.  They just did dumb stuff.  And that comes down to the writing.  It's just my opinion that resultingly, the film loses 15%.  Other than that, it was very rewatchable, majestic, mysterious, and grand.  At first I wan't sure what to think about it, but it filled me with a sense of wonder that was so powerful that it overcame its inequities for me.  It is my third favorite film in the series, right after Alien.  A great great film.  But I don't care to have popular opinions.  I like what I like.

The Old One

The Old One

I liked a great deal for about four years.
Until I argued with a friend and she went over how unbelievably stupid,
the plot and nearly every character interaction is.

Eldritch_DM

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jan 06, 2019, 02:38:10 AM
But I love Prometheus even though I don't like the majority of the characters.

At first I really didn't like Prometheus either but as time went on, I grew to enjoy it more despite terrible choices made by dumb characters. I actually liked and cared what happened to Shaw and Janek. David to me was interesting as well. To be honest, I've felt the same way about A3. I used to hate it but now, I really enjoy it and have grown to rewatch it as much as I do the first two.

A:R.... not so much lol

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 06, 2019, 02:42:28 AM
I liked a great deal for about four years.
Until I argued with a friend and she went over how unbelievably stupid,
the plot and nearly every character interaction is.

I think the issue you're having there is that you have elevated the film to intellectual levels while letting go of the fact that is is still fundamentally rooted in the horror-flick genre.  Based on that, it adheres to certain genre tropes.  It is the same old thing about a group of teenagers in the woods, and one or two decide to go off on their own.  Stupid?  Yes.  But a timeless staple of the genre.  Keeping it in mind that the film's creators chose to make it stick to that category of film, where people literally have to do some obviously stupid things, makes it an overall better viewing experience.  Would I have wanted the characters to do all the right stuff all the time?  Maybe, I'm on the fence about that.  Could it have been done better?  Sure.  Then it could have been 100%.  But I'm ok with 85%.  Now Covenant,..... that's a 65%.  It's like they didn't try to open up the big mysteries.  They shut them down as soon as they were opened in Prometheus.

The Old One

The Old One

Oh lord.

The old argument that horror genre characters
have to do stupid stuff for it to qualify as a horror film or work.

It's B.S, I don't believe it.

Alien, Aliens, AlienĀ³,
The Terminator, Predator and The Thing
off the top of my head don't have this trope.

Nukiemorph

Just making sure everyone is aware... but early drafts of Prometheus had an explaination for certain characters being dumb.

Vickers intentionally hired morons in an attempt to sabotage her father's mission to live forever.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: David's Creation on Jan 06, 2019, 03:27:46 AM
Just making sure everyone is aware... but early drafts of Prometheus had an explaination for certain characters being dumb.

Vickers intentionally hired morons in an attempt to sabotage her father's mission to live forever.

Mission accomplished.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed