Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by ikarop, May 04, 2012, 08:12:31 PM

Author
Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines (Read 43,549 times)

Xenomrph

Exactly. You don't have to like the characters or agree with what they say and do, but the movie has done its job if you're at least interested in what happens to those characters.

Predaker

Quote from: Barringer on May 07, 2012, 11:21:54 PM
I don't think that calling ACM a "true sequel" to Aliens is really anymore of a dig toward Alien 3 than if Ridley were to do another Alien film that he called a "true sequel" to Alien as being a dig toward Aliens. The Alien trilogy are just three films that are very different than their predecessors, and ACM is informed by Aliens more than the other two.

Very true. Some folks here just take things out of context for no other reason than to bash a game they have not played yet.

Haters gonna hate. True fan? Lol  :D Yes let's hate on Randy Pitchford for saying he is a true fan. /sarcasm

The haters are really reaching hard now.

Samus007

Samus007

Quote from: SM on May 07, 2012, 11:37:37 PM
QuoteI can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't give a crap what happened to Burke. I wish I could have watched the alien burst out of his chest.

You do realise that you wanting to watch an Alien burst out of his chest show you DO in fact "give a crap".  The fact you wanted to see him get his comeuppance shows he did his job as a bad guy.

You missed the point. I don't give a crap about him as someone to care for. As in likeable like, say, newt. Yes, he did do his job of making me hate him, JUST Like I have been saying about the cast of alien 3. They did a good job of making me want to watch them die, by being murderers and rapist.

SM

Except the cast of Alien3 are nothing like Burke.

Samus007

Quote from: SM on May 08, 2012, 01:05:04 AM
Except the cast of Alien3 are nothing like Burke.

Burke was somewhat likable up until he was ratted out by ripley as the traitor and the one who sent the colony to the derelict. Had burke been a rapist and murderer right from the beginning of the movie I would have hated him right off the bat. Just like I do with those characters in alien 3.

And in the end, they sort of are somewhat the same. Burke murdered hundreds of people and tried to get ripley and newt face raped. Most of the cast of alien 3 raped and murder who knows how many people.

Barringer

In Alien 3 I thought some of the characters were the inverse of Burke. Junior and Morse both tried to rape Ripley but ultimately both "redeemed" themselves in some fashion, at least in the Assembly Cut.

The problem with the prisoners is that we don't see firsthand the bad stuff they did, apart from the aforementioned rape scene. It's easier to dislike Burke for his sleaziness than it is some prisoner that we don't know what he did.

Samus007

Quote from: Barringer on May 08, 2012, 01:15:28 AM
In Alien 3 I thought some of the characters were the inverse of Burke. Junior and Morse both tried to rape Ripley but ultimately both "redeemed" themselves in some fashion, at least in the Assembly Cut.

The problem with the prisoners is that we don't see firsthand the bad stuff they did, apart from the aforementioned rape scene. It's easier to dislike Burke for his sleaziness than it is some prisoner that we don't know what he did.

And to me, that makes them all the much harder to care for. Knowing they are all murders or have all done very violent crimes (which is the reason they are there) makes it very difficult to like them at all. I can't 'root' for people like that. Ever.

SM

QuoteIn Alien 3 I thought some of the characters were the inverse of Burke. Junior and Morse both tried to rape Ripley but ultimately both "redeemed" themselves in some fashion, at least in the Assembly Cut.

Morse didn't try to rape Ripley.

And therein lies one of the films major flaws.  Can't tell the bald f**kers apart.

chupacabras acheronsis

Morse was the f**ker with the pointy ears and nose right

Samus007

Samus007

Quote from: SM on May 08, 2012, 01:29:00 AM
QuoteIn Alien 3 I thought some of the characters were the inverse of Burke. Junior and Morse both tried to rape Ripley but ultimately both "redeemed" themselves in some fashion, at least in the Assembly Cut.

Morse didn't try to rape Ripley.

And therein lies one of the films major flaws.  Can't tell the bald f**kers apart.

Yes, very true. I always had a problem with that. Wasn't really necessary as it didn't drive the story anywhere. They could have done away with the lice issue and all just had hair.

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on May 08, 2012, 01:31:55 AM
Morse was the f**ker with the pointy ears and nose right

He was this one.. http://www.filmsite.org/fotos/alien3_9.jpg

Junior and Gregor tried to rape her

SM

I thought it was a great stylistic decision, but one that ultimately backfired.  They might've been better off having more of a racial mix.  Throw in an Indian, a Hispanic and an east Asian perhaps.

chupacabras acheronsis

or give them iconic tattoos.

and i was joking with that, Morse is my favorite character. after clemens.

SM

Quoteor give them iconic tattoos.

That too.

Big Maori face tat.

Samus007

Things like that would have been great ideas. Anything to help tell the characters apart better. I've seen it enough that I can tell them apart now, for the most part, lol. But the first few times I saw the film when it was released it was hard to tell them apart.

Barringer

I really don't like trashing Alien 3, because I've spent the past fifteen years doing that and if anything over time my opinion of it has improved, but I feel like Ripley was made bald to mask the deficiency in a lack of character arc for her. The baldness of the prisoners is a side effect of that. I just watched Alien 3 assembly cut last week, as well as the documentary that was on the blu-ray, and Sigourney says how in an exec meeting they asked Fincher how he sees Ripley in the film and he replies "Bald" with a shrug, and Sigourney laughs about that, but that really strikes me as an absence of any idea where to take the character.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed