All Star Wars

Started by CELTICPRED, Dec 13, 2006, 05:23:55 AM

Author
All Star Wars (Read 2,837,691 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, that's how I would interpret 'de-canonizing' as well (like what the Alien prequels did with the AVP movies, for example).

T Dog

T Dog

Ah you are right. I misinterpreted "De Canonizing" as "Retconning".

EJA

EJA

How do we think things would have gone if Leia had accompanied Rey when she went to find Luke?

razeak

razeak

It begs the question of why Rey was the one entrusted to go see Luke. Hell, Why didn't Chewbacca try to talk some sense into him? Hell, Ackbar, Wedge, ANYONE with a connection would have made sense.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 09, 2021, 09:00:08 PM
Yeah, I never did get the outrage over his return.

Agree. His return wasn't the issue. It was most everything else around it like the dagger. TROS had some good eye candy though.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 26, 2020, 09:32:16 PM
The ST as a whole it can be viewed as a mess, but the writing was superior compared to the prequels. The prequels may be great when it comes to scope, new ideas and cinematography breakthroughs, but it's still sucks on a narraite level.

I enjoyed TFA for the most part as it's really a well made remake of the original. It doesn't feel cheap, but more like a love letter. TLJ has some of the most beautiful set pieces of the whole trilogy. The ideas are not so bad either. There are some interesting and kinda nihilistic approaches that I like.  They were f**king both, the light side and the dark side, to follow a more grey path. It was better in Kotor ll of course. With TROS, I liked Leia's ending, but I also enjoyed the Palpatine messy stuff. However, I might be biased since I really love the villain and Ian McDiarmid acting :laugh:

Solo was just a decent spin-off. Too bad it didn't work out. Rogue One was even better. And I absolutely love The Mandalorian. I'm not so interested in Rebels. I think I prefer Clone Wars.

Having said that, to me there is nothing super shity about the Disney era, at leats when it comes to Star Wars, so my personal ranking is:

1. The Mandalorian

2. Clone Wars finale

3. Rogue One

4. The Last Jedi

5. The Force Awakens

6. Rebels

7. The Rise of Skywalker

8. Solo

And I rank all the above over the prequels, with the exception of the Clone Wars series. And over the top.of all that the OT.

Have to disagree on the writing. Where is Rey's development? She basically just automatically unlocks random superpowers and wins over and over.

Anakin is raised a slave, but wins his freedom. His anger and resentment towards the universe are on display in the Jedi council room.
He's destined to be a hero, but fears losing his mother, which puts him on the beginning of a dark path. He is arrogant beyond imagine, loses his mother, and lashes out in anger and murders men, women and children. He is completely socially awkward if he isn't doing Jedi stuff. In that realm he is unsure of himself. He falls in love, but because of his fears of losing something else he loves, he becomes obsessive and feels like he has to control everything. He gets absolutely embarrassed by Dooku due to his own character flaws. He's selfish, and decides he can sacrifice pretty much the entire galaxy to save 1 life. He's desperate to stop what he saw in his visions, which pushes him to cut off Windu's hand. From there murders more children, fully giving himself over to the dark side and all of the preceding events lead him to destroying exactly what he was trying to protect. His arrogance grows even worse, and he gets cut down by the one true father figure he had. Now he becomes an enforcer for everything that his wife stood against, not only betraying her physically, but morally and ethically. There isn't anything even in the same galaxy of writing in the ST in comparison from a writing perspective. The ST has better overall acting and cinematography, and its own enjoyable moments, but is sorely lacking in cohesion or character development.

As a side note, all the above is why I don't get the obsession with portraying Vader with any sort of sympathy when it comes to him yearning for Padme, like the Star Wars Theory fan film, or moments in Vader Immortal. He had every opportunity to do the right thing, but his character flaws were too powerful. He's a freaking wifebeating psycho serial killer, but he doesn't get there overnight (story wise, film pacing wise it is fast). On another side note, that's why we love him haha. WTF is wrong with us.

As for Rey, I liked her in TFA, even if I got a little sick of her being so damn good at everything (minus the fight at the end strangely enough). She just spun her wheels for the next two films and most setup for the characters seemed to evaporate.

Disney Era:

1. Mandolorian
2. Clone Wars Finale
3. Rogue One
4. Rebels
5. Solo
6. The Force Awakens
7. The Last Jedi
8. Rise of Skywalker

Overall:

1. Empire
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Mandolorian
5. Rogue One
6. Revenge of the Sith
7. Clone Wars Series
8. Rebels.
9. Solo
10. The Force Awakens
11. The Phantom Menace
12. Attack of the Clones/Last Jedi - I can't decide. 1 is a boring mess of poor acting with some cool imagery, the other is a boring mess of character development with some cool imagery
13.The Rise of Skywalker

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

If we're ranking the Disney era, mine for the films is as follows:

Rogue One
The Last Jedi
Solo
The Force Awakens
The Rise of Skywalker

Kradan

Kradan

I agree that on a technical level sequels are better movies but I find story of Anakin's fall into the Dark Side to be much more fascinating story, there was clear narrative and end goal. While sequels' story changed with each subsequent instalment so we ended up with Rey Palpatine saving the Universe

As for ranking:

Original trilogy:

Empire Strikes Back

Return of The Jedi

A New Hope

Prequels:

Revenge of the Sith

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Sequels:

The Last Jedi

Rise of Skywalker

Force Awakens

Highland

Highland

Quote from: razeak on Jan 14, 2021, 02:31:51 PM
It begs the question of why Rey was the one entrusted to go see Luke. Hell, Why didn't Chewbacca try to talk some sense into him? Hell, Ackbar, Wedge, ANYONE with a connection would have made sense.

I think that's more RJ's fault than anything else, since the whole secret map thing doesn't play out like it's presented in the first film. Rey having the saber was obviously meant to bring Luke off the island and show Luke that the Jedi were returning.

I'll never get the hate for Clones. It's arguably the most fun movie of all of prequels and introduces some of the best characters.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Just finished reading the first High Republic novel Light of the Jedi and I quite liked it. Lot of great Jedi moments!

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 14, 2021, 06:33:28 PM
I agree that on a technical level sequels are better movies but I find story of Anakin's fall into the Dark Side to be much more fascinating story, there was clear narrative and end goal. While sequels' story changed with each subsequent instalment so we ended up with Rey Palpatine saving the Universe

As for ranking:

Original trilogy:

Empire Strikes Back

Return of The Jedi

A New Hope

Prequels:

Revenge of the Sith

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Sequels:

The Last Jedi

Rise of Skywalker

Force Awakens

Pretty much agree with this Kradan. Just a couple of changes in the sequels ordering for me personally. Your rationale for the Prequels preference is spot on for me - flawed as hell but we have previous investment in so many of those characters thanks to the OT and as much as I did enjoy the sequels I felt a lot of the characters were just watered down imitations of our original heroes and villains.

razeak

razeak

Quote from: Highland on Jan 14, 2021, 11:45:12 PM

I think that's more RJ's fault than anything else, since the whole secret map thing doesn't play out like it's presented in the first film. Rey having the saber was obviously meant to bring Luke off the island and show Luke that the Jedi were returning.

I'll never get the hate for Clones. It's arguably the most fun movie of all of prequels and introduces some of the best characters.

Maybe i was a bit harsh on clones. I'm actually reconsidering it lol, but lord the acting.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: razeak on Jan 15, 2021, 05:29:40 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jan 14, 2021, 11:45:12 PM

Maybe i was a bit harsh on clones. I'm actually reconsidering it lol, but lord the acting.

I kinda prefer the clones over acting to the Phantom Menace under acting. You got problems when the most interesting character in the whole movie is a flying CGI pig. Actually Boss Nass is not bad either ( again CG)

Kradan

Kradan

I liked flying CGI pig (can't remember his name though)  because despite Anakin and his mother being his slaves he was kinda nice to them. I was expecting him just to constantly shout and beat little boy

I pick Clones as the worst from the prequel trilogy because I have hard time remembering what happened in the movie and because Count Dooku was IMO terribly underdeveloped villain - at the end of the movie I still don't know what his goals are exactly beyond being one of Sidious' puppets

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, Attack of the Clones was a rough watch to me so much do that I only saw the thing twice, I believe. But now, perhaps in retrospect, after the new trilogy, maybe I'd view it with more favorable eyes...

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The only things I remember really liking from the prequels were the pod race sequence and Grievous.

Oh, and Ewan McGregor. It pains me that he turned in such good performances in such naff movies.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

It makes me giggle that all these rankings of Star Wars entries don't even include 'Resistance'. Is anybody watching that show?  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed