Daniel Twiss Talks Prometheus

Started by Darkness, May 22, 2012, 12:23:58 PM

Author
Daniel Twiss Talks Prometheus (Read 49,897 times)

Deuterium

Deuterium

I am worn out, too.  I gotta find some air vents that need clearing.

Lord Freezer

Lord Freezer

Quote from: Deuterium on May 22, 2012, 09:36:34 PM
If the
Spoiler
sacrificial engineer started Life on Earth,
[close]
what exactly are the chances that a species of intelligent primates would develop that just so happened to be morphologically identical to the very same engineers?  The answer is infinitesimally small.  And what has their race/civilization been doing in the ensuing 4 billion years?  Apparently, not much, except for making a few recent stops by Earth to pose for some Neolithic painters.

Engineers not have changed for 4 billion years. Eccentric but acceptable (they are aliens). Have also piloted the "case" with mass extinctions when the biological evolution took impassable roads?

NGR01

NGR01

Scott is not James Cameron when it comes to scifi.
It's now clear that ALIEN universe is more scifi fantasy than Hard science.
Nothing to spoil my enthuthiasm.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Deuterium on May 22, 2012, 09:36:34 PMWhat exactly are the chances that a species of intelligent primates would develop that just so happened to be morphologically identical to the very same engineers? The answer is infinitesimally small.

The further implication then must be that the engineer's genetic material is 'programmed' for a pre-determined outcome. Isn't that a thing? That our DNA has a heap of extraneous material in it that might fictionally be some kind of guiding 'program'? Seriously, I have no idea. ;)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 22, 2012, 10:16:45 PM
The further implication then must be that the engineer's genetic material is 'programmed' for a pre-determined outcome. Isn't that a thing? That our DNA has a heap of extraneous material in it that might fictionally be some kind of guiding 'program'?
In reality, that's all extraneous waste DNA built up over hundreds of millions of years of evolution. But I can see where you're coming from.

When PROMETHEUS comes out, the fanwanking of explanations will sound like the deafening roar of that mighty waterfall the Engineer drains into :P

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

I strongly deny the implication in your post. ;)

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

'Scott is not James Cameron when it comes to scifi.
It's now clear that ALIEN universe is more scifi fantasy than Hard science.
Nothing to spoil my enthuthiasm.'

Exactly people need to have an imagination when going into a film like this and not try and explain it through science. This is a Science FICTION film, meaning although it does centre on our science terms it is not constricted by and goes beyond our understanding. People are griping about this need realise this is not a film to be rationalised in such a way, that is also including the rest of the series.

orchidal

orchidal

But it could have easily been more plausible had they taken less fantastical routes of storytelling.
Hopefully the intro with the sacrificial SJ is...metaphorical

I'm not even asking for Stanislaw-Lem-worthy-scifi, although that would be great.....I just would rather, like Deuterium, Cvalda, et. al, have my aliens be as alien as possible

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Aliens are a fantastical idea though as a whole. That means Scott has complete free reign to do what he wants with the film. I know there needs to be some hold on that so it doesn't become a silly mess, however I haven't seen anything in the trailers that deems this film implausible. Although, don't get me wrong I do like my films to be grounded in reality because its easier to associate with these film and its, overall, more immersive if the films that way in clined. However, let me use the Batman franchise as example. I much prefer Tim Burtons because i find them more entertaining and visually more immersive than Nolans, not all films have to be realistic in order to be successful and engrossing.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 22, 2012, 10:16:45 PM

The further implication then must be that the engineer's genetic material is 'programmed' for a pre-determined outcome. Isn't that a thing? That our DNA has a heap of extraneous material in it that might fictionally be some kind of guiding 'program'? Seriously, I have no idea. ;)

Hi Chris,

That would completely undermine phylogenetic analysis and molecular biology.  Yes, our genome (like most organisms) contains a large percentage of noncoding DNA, but noncoding DNA does not mean the same as the catch-all term "Junk DNA" that has been overused in media and "popularized" science articles/programs.  While noncoding DNA does not code for specific protein sequences, much of it still has biological functions, including indirect mediatory roles in protein synthesis, e.g. functional RNA.

In general, the more archaic the organism, the simpler the genetic sequence.  While even simple, single-celled organisms are astonishingly complex, there is no possible way that the earliest prokaryates had enough nucleotides (i.e base pairs) to have the amount of genetic information necessary to produce a human.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Deuterium on May 22, 2012, 11:41:33 PM
Hi Chris,

That would completely undermine phylogenetic analysis and molecular biology.  Yes, our genome (like most organisms) contains a large percentage of noncoding DNA, but noncoding DNA does not mean the same as the catch-all term "Junk DNA" that has been overused in media and "popularized" science articles/programs.  While noncoding DNA does not code for specific protein sequences, much of it still has biological functions, including indirect mediatory roles in protein synthesis, e.g. functional RNA.

In general, the more archaic the organism, the simpler the genetic sequence.  While even simple, single-celled organisms are astonishingly complex, there is no possible way that the earliest prokaryates had enough nucleotides (i.e base pairs) to have the amount of genetic information necessary to produce a human.

Or, because I love Carl Sagan too much:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF3WLfimsb4#

Right? :)

Deuterium

Capovin

Capovin

Well considering (I'm assuming) that this takes place before any life existed on the planet I don't think that they're going with the idea that humans were destined to come about but rather they did by chance, which is admittedly very unlikely but for life to exist and thrive in the universe itself is very unlikely anyway.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Capovin on May 23, 2012, 12:12:12 AM
Well considering (I'm assuming) that this takes place before any life existed on the planet I don't think that they're going with the idea that humans were destined to come about but rather they did by chance, which is admittedly very unlikely but for life to exist and thrive in the universe itself is very unlikely anyway.

Time for anther Carl Sagan clip!  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yet1xkAv_HY#ws

I really love this one.

If anyone disapproves of the Sagan clip posting I do, speak up, or forever hold your peace. :D

kaustin7

kaustin7

One thing that you must also take into account is the ability for mutations to take place in the DNA sequence due to whatever factors. 
Seeding DNA by no means that over the course of 4 billion years you will end up with an exact organism.  The environment has had a substantial impact on who we are today and where we came from.

I also agree with the fact that this is fiction, its a movie...there is fantasy in movies.  It is not like this is supposed to be a NOVA special about the search and possibilities for ET life.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed