Blu Ray release

Started by Billiken, Aug 05, 2022, 01:25:36 PM

Author
Blu Ray release (Read 49,033 times)

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Prez on Feb 22, 2024, 11:25:21 PMTrilogy or boxsets only appeal to me when they have some effort put into them like the Alien Anthology for example. There was a cohesive look and feel with all the GUI and design throughout. Don't like the slapdash efforts to just put 3 previous releases inside a box and sell it off.

Good point! The Alien Anthology box is a great example. When it's a nicely put together box set that feels like a special release I'm cool with that. Or even something like that boxset for Friday the 13th that Shout Factory put out, with that amazing artwork on the big outer box that holds all the individual films.

The Predator one just kind of gives me the vibe of a slapped together box go in the bargain bin at Wal-mart or Best Buy. Nothing special about it.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

As someone that just got the Predator one, I can also say that it's pretty poorly made. It arrived from Amazon with the discs loose in the case, so I shipped it back and got a replacement... which also came in the same exact way. Amazon wouldn't replace it and send me a third one so they just refunded me and told me to keep that second one. Opened it up and the case is pretty crap, but the discs don't look scratched as far as I can tell. Hope they actually play.

Also had this same thing happen recently with the 4K LotR trilogy set. They all seem to be doubling down on using big cases with really flimsy pages and clips that can barely hold the discs.

RoguePred1987

RoguePred1987

boxsets are nice, but when you're taking about an ongoing franchise they can be deeply frustrating. a really wonderfully put together boxset is great...until a new movie comes out and its instantly out of date. the only time i've ever heard of a boxset trying to address the issue was that massive James Bond complete set that had an empty disc space for the movie that was about to come out.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

But there will never be another film in "The Trilogy" the UK release of it on 4K uses a fold out design much like the original Alien Anthology.

And it is not a slap dash set, they made the effort to give all three films the same stylistic main menus, with also the bookmark system from the Anthology.

Individual releases do exist, but are much more difficult finds, with Disney now ending their Movie Club and moving distribution to through Sony instead if you thought that they did not do many boutique releases before get ready for nothing.

I can not stress enough the Predator films will likely never ever get a better release, just repackaging and reprinting.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Feb 23, 2024, 09:16:24 AMif you thought that they did not do many boutique releases before get ready for nothing.

I can not stress enough the Predator films will likely never ever get a better release, just repackaging and reprinting.

That makes me very sad  :'(

The gravity of physical media being on the decline is starting to really hit me...

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

There are a lot of companies out there doing incredible work with physical media releases – Criterion, Arrow, Shout/Scream Factory, Kino Lorber, etc., to name just a few – but yeah, releases are basically all barebones or just totally nonexistent when it comes to releases from the big studios at this point...

Hell, the LotR 4K set doesn't even both to throw in any of the documentaries and bonus features that that DVD/Blu-ray releases were known for. Like I'm not asking for the docs to be remastered for 4K obviously, but like... slap those Blu-ray discs in the box at least.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 23, 2024, 05:45:36 PMThere are a lot of companies out there doing incredible work with physical media releases – Criterion, Arrow, Shout/Scream Factory, Kino Lorber, etc., to name just a few – but yeah, releases are basically all barebones or just totally nonexistent when it comes to releases from the big studios at this point...

Hell, the LotR 4K set doesn't even both to throw in any of the documentaries and bonus features that that DVD/Blu-ray releases were known for. Like I'm not asking for the docs to be remastered for 4K obviously, but like... slap those Blu-ray discs in the box at least.
I always thought that the quality of the DvD and Blu Ray presentations drop off since 2018 more or less. Could be that the people are more inclined to streaming service and not physical media. But I never saw anything as great like Alien Quadrilogy and Anthology, even the Ultimate Jurassic Park Trilogy DvD was cool

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: aliens13 on Feb 23, 2024, 11:14:21 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 23, 2024, 05:45:36 PMThere are a lot of companies out there doing incredible work with physical media releases – Criterion, Arrow, Shout/Scream Factory, Kino Lorber, etc., to name just a few – but yeah, releases are basically all barebones or just totally nonexistent when it comes to releases from the big studios at this point...

I always thought that the quality of the DvD and Blu Ray presentations drop off since 2018 more or less. Could be that the people are more inclined to streaming service and not physical media. But I never saw anything as great like Alien Quadrilogy and Anthology, even the Ultimate Jurassic Park Trilogy DvD was cool

Yep. I still buy 4K discs regularly because the quality of a disc trumps the quality of a stream any day, but I do miss the days when it seemed like almlost every release came with really great special features to accompany the film itself.

I'm just glad we do have the boutique labels doing everything they can for titles that really deserve it whenever they can scoop up the rights for them.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 23, 2024, 11:49:11 PM
Quote from: aliens13 on Feb 23, 2024, 11:14:21 PM

Yep. I still buy 4K discs regularly because the quality of a disc trumps the quality of a stream any day, but I do miss the days when it seemed like almlost every release came with really great special features to accompany the film itself.

I'm just glad we do have the boutique labels doing everything they can for titles that really deserve it whenever they can scoop up the rights for them.
The last 4k Blue Ray that I bought was Jurassic World Dominion Steelbook, and before it was the Steelbook of Alien Covenant. You can also see an downgrade in the menus, back then they made incredible menua for the movies. I can remember the JP and TWL one with the velociraptors, or the ones of Alien Anthology. They were really interesting to look at, now they made them boring just showing random parts of the movie

Prez

Prez

I think the Anthology is a beautifully crafted boxset collection. That said the original LOTR Extended Edition DVDs whilst not a boxset, were absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful fold-out packaging with so much TLC in the design and artwork. And Madman's original 5 volume DVD collection of Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) with Alex Ross' artwork plastering it are stunning (BTW if anyone has volume 5, I'd love to talk if your willing to sell it).

They simply rarely make such wonderfully crafted sets these days unless it's someone from Shout, Arrow, Scream or the like.

aliens13

aliens13

I hope Alien Romulus get an appropriate blu ray release, sure it will have an physical release. But I want a very good one like before

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: aliens13 on Feb 24, 2024, 09:32:15 PMI hope Alien Romulus get an appropriate blu ray release, sure it will have an physical release. But I want a very good one like before

As it is, Covenant's release (apart from the really nice packaging from the Target exclusive Blu-ray edition) really pales in comparison to what came before. The hour long doc is decent but can't hold a candle to the material Lauzirika spearheaded for the Quadrilogy/Anthology and Prometheus.

I'd expect something comparable to what Prey got for Romulus, honestly. Anything more is a bonus...

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 24, 2024, 10:08:14 PM
Quote from: aliens13 on Feb 24, 2024, 09:32:15 PMI hope Alien Romulus get an appropriate blu ray release, sure it will have an physical release. But I want a very good one like before

As it is, Covenant's release (apart from the really nice packaging from the Target exclusive Blu-ray edition) really pales in comparison to what came before. The hour long doc is decent but can't hold a candle to the material Lauzirika spearheaded for the Quadrilogy/Anthology and Prometheus.

I'd expect something comparable to what Prey got for Romulus, honestly. Anything more is a bonus...
And do you consider the Prey blu ray release good?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: aliens13 on Feb 24, 2024, 10:40:52 PM

Good in that it's a miracle we got one at all for a streaming release.

Bad in that it is pretty much barebones.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 24, 2024, 10:48:43 PM
Quote from: aliens13 on Feb 24, 2024, 10:40:52 PM

Good in that it's a miracle we got one at all for a streaming release.

Bad in that it is pretty much barebones.
I'm not that much fan of Predator (I'm big fan of Alien), so when the news of BR release came out I wasn't too excited but the art work of the Steelbook looks kinda meh. On the Covenant release I loved the art work of the Steelbook, I hope they put more effort in Romulus that they put in Prey

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed