Designing and Constructing The Primal, Talking Prey's Practical Effects with ADI's Tom Woodruff Jr - AvP Galaxy Podcast #156

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 28, 2022, 05:43:52 PM

Author
Designing and Constructing The Primal, Talking Prey's Practical Effects with ADI's Tom Woodruff Jr - AvP Galaxy Podcast #156 (Read 7,048 times)

SuperiorIronman

Man I want them to write a source book for these guys. Like an in-universe guide to Predators cause I'd love to see what the background to Feral's people are.

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 05, 2022, 01:07:34 PMThe wide variety of styles that we do see could speak towards them coming from many different sources, as easily as being custom to each other. And that's not to say that both ideas could co-exist too. Like I said, it's not like all Predators wouldn't be able to understand the technology they were using. It's just one of those suggestions I quite like.
I'm all for some Predators not reading the user manual.

Them, as a species, having found all their tech and discarding it the second it doesn't work makes no sense (not to mention isn't supported by the films at all). It's all custom fit, personalised, shows development over time, and you'd think after several hundred years of use most of it would've broken and they'd be incapable of still travelling the stars.

Sabres21768

Corporal Hicks

I'm not saying they wouldn't understand it, or be discarding it as it broke, or even every single piece of technology the Predators use is some stolen and incomprehensible to them. Some of the Predators would have to be able to understand it for any idea like that to make sense at all. But as a foundation of their technology, it wouldn't be unreasonable to me if it was based on some other species technology.

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 06, 2022, 06:44:43 AMI'm not saying they wouldn't understand it, or be discarding it as it broke, or even every single piece of technology the Predators use is some stolen and incomprehensible to them. Some of the Predators would have to be able to understand it for any idea like that to make sense at all.
But that's an idea presented in the EU and the one I'm arguing against.

Corporal Hicks

That's fair. It's not a particularly prevalent one in the EU though (honestly, I can't even remember where the throwing it away comes from? Isabelle's logs from Hunting Ground?) I'm just saying it's one of those angles I do like and can work better with a little finesse.

SuperiorIronman

My personal headcanon for Feral does adopt a bit of both. Where the technology might be a bit out there for him. That Feral and his people might have gear consistent with other Yaujta, but the real advanced stuff doesn't belong to them. He gets how to use the equipment but it didn't originate with him.

Bringing it to his pistol, he might have been given the weapon similar to how Naru acquires hers from Adolini, my thought is that he's given a weapon for whatever reason to aid in his hunt. The two having parallel journeys which could be supported by the EU. Hunting Grounds flavor text for the Elder sword specifically says that older hunters will give a weapon (in this case the sword) to aid younger hunters. The weapon might not have originated with him but could be given to him in a similar manner.

And given Greyback does acquire Adolini's pistol, it might be why he hung onto it for so long. He might've given Feral a pistol to aid him in his hunt but once he died he replaced it with Adolini's for whatever reason.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed