Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 10, 2018, 05:38:04 AM

Author
Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way (Read 59,294 times)

Huggs

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Jun 25, 2019, 10:09:54 PM
http://scifimoviezone.com/alienwitches.jpg

I felt I'd sound like an idiot for asking that question.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only who doesn't know just what the hell is going on there.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 25, 2019, 10:14:46 PM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only who doesn't know just what the hell is going on there.

I'll keep an open mind when viewing the whole package. That said, if I were making a documentary on Alien, likely the very last visuals I would include is three old ladies that look like witches with sharp teeth wrapped in mummy cloth.

Darwinsgirl

Venturing a guess it's something to do with O'Bannon's Lovecraftian influence  ???

Perfect-Organism

Left field!  ....  Incoming!!

kwisatz

kwisatz

If this doc is really digging deep those three ladys might have a connection with the Alien concerning the sexual nature of its horror.

Come to think of it there are a lot of feminine aspects the Alien is sharing with the more archetypical horrors that lead straight into the witch myth (its lean body with the elongated extremities; the emaciated jawline and appearance in general; the covert eyes [by the run-down hair in the witchs case] etc)

Not to mention the whole male rape victim aspect both "monster types" emphatically evoke.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 25, 2019, 10:14:46 PM
Quote from: Biomechanoid on Jun 25, 2019, 10:09:54 PM
http://scifimoviezone.com/alienwitches.jpg

I felt I'd sound like an idiot for asking that question.

RidgeTop will explain as best he can remember when he wakes up.

RidgeTop

Honestly I need to watch it again as I saw it back in January, but essentially it's argued that Alien shares thematic philosophical elements with the Greek Furies of mythology, though I can't remember the specifics of the comparison. Yeah it's weird, the documentary is weirder than Alien fans will be used to but that's what made it unique for me. It's a part of the film, the whole documentary is not hinged upon it, as lots is just about the history of Dan O'Bannon's involvement.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: RidgeTop on Jun 26, 2019, 10:35:35 PM
Honestly I need to watch it again as I saw it back in January, but essentially it's argued that Alien shares thematic philosophical elements with the Greek Furies of mythology, though I can't remember the specifics of the comparison. Yeah it's weird, the documentary is weirder than Alien fans will be used to but that's what made it unique for me. It's a part of the film, the whole documentary is not hinged upon it, as lots is just about the history of Dan O'Bannon's involvement.

Fair enough, I'll keep an open mind when I see the witches appear.

However, if the witches in an Alien documentary feels like gonads on a ewe, well then.......

RidgeTop

^ Thankfully it's bit more nuanced than that.

The Old One

The Old One

I'd hope so.

Biomechanoid

On a more positive note, I'm really lovin' the new Blu ray cover for the documentary.....

Huggs

So Obannon went to the cave and consulted the eye?

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 27, 2019, 01:56:58 PM
So Obannon went to the cave and consulted the eye?

Sounds about right. And I'm guessing Deino, Enyo, and Pemphredo use Alien 79's illuminated blue mist to keep the eye preserved.

Darwinsgirl

And to think evil flying monkees were just the beginning...

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Jun 27, 2019, 04:21:23 PM

And to think evil flying monkees were just the beginning...

:laugh:

I don't doubt it's a well crafted video by the praise it's getting, but it feels like a philosophical fan theory got bankrolled. Attempting to attach some ancient human lore to the world of Alien feels like it taking the "alien-ness" out of Alien. I prefer my Alien to remain pure alien rather than an anthropomorphic connect the dots to us via ancient Greek mythology. "Nahh, man, Alien is really not alien at all, it's just the Gray Sisters regurgitated."

I see in Phillipe's filmography, he's working on a sequel to Memory......
MEMORY Part 2: Parker Meets Medusa  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed