[SPOILER FREE] Another review

Started by vehtam, Dec 19, 2007, 09:21:29 PM

Author
[SPOILER FREE] Another review (Read 24,089 times)

Predator-S

Predator-S

There are holes in Alien.

Porkus Maximus

QuoteWhat holes are there in Predator may i ask? The story is what it should be.

Well the biggest hole of all is how a creature which sees in infrared can be so technologically advanced.  It was basically done because it "looked cool" but you're so swept up by it that you don't really think about it.  Blaine using a minigun is frankly ridiculous, the rotation was slowed down to something like 1/3 of a real minigun and it still burned through more ammo than any man could possibly carry.  The scene where Mac unloads into the jungle would have used thousands and thousands of rounds and Blaine's backpack realistically only had enough ammo for a few seconds. :D  Arnold fasioning a bow and arrow out of sticks and vines that is capable of shooting through a tree trunk = LOL.  I'm also no expert but I'm pretty sure an M40 grenade doesn't explode just by throwing it at someone.

However at the end of the day these kinds of things don't really matter because you're so drawn into the movie that you're willing to accept them.  What separates Predator from other action movies besides the awesome creature design, is the tone and atmosphere, as I said in another thread I still get chills down my spine when I watch it.

QuoteThere are holes in Alien.

No wai?!  Of course there are holes in all 4 Alien movies. 

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Dec 20, 2007, 03:17:10 PM
Quoteyou can use this same theory on every movie every made......i dont get your point

It's all about immersion and suspension of disbelief.  There are plenty of holes in Predator for example, but it at least felt like McTiernan was making an effort to think his creative decisions through to a conclusion that follows the movie's internal logic.  Predator 2 on the other hand doesn't make the same effort which makes it much more difficult to get immersed in the story and atmosphere.

but you were talking about one fight scene , not an entire movie.

Porkus Maximus

Judging from other clips and from what people claim in reviews, it won't be the only example.  Even if it was the only example, it would really suck to have a good movie ruined when the climax destroys your suspension of disbelief.

Predator-S

Predator-S

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Dec 20, 2007, 03:44:07 PM
QuoteWhat holes are there in Predator may i ask? The story is what it should be.

Well the biggest hole of all is how a creature which sees in infrared can be so technologically advanced.  It was basically done because it "looked cool" but you're so swept up by it that you don't really think about it.  Blaine using a minigun is frankly ridiculous, the rotation was slowed down to something like 1/3 of a real minigun and it still burned through more ammo than any man could possibly carry.  The scene where Mac unloads into the jungle would have used thousands and thousands of rounds and Blaine's backpack realistically only had enough ammo for a few seconds. :D  Arnold fasioning a bow and arrow out of sticks and vines that is capable of shooting through a tree trunk = LOL.  I'm also no expert but I'm pretty sure an M40 grenade doesn't explode just by throwing it at someone.

But those aren't plot holes, just mistakes or exaggerations.

As for alien, how did the facehugger melt Kane's scaffander (not sure of the spelling)? It doesn't spit acid.

How did the chesburster move around the entire ship? Wasn't that thing hermatized?

Porkus Maximus

I didn't say they were plot holes, simply holes.

QuoteAs for alien, how did the facehugger melt Kane's scaffander (not sure of the spelling)? It doesn't spit acid

If it melted through his visor, then it must have secreted acid, right?

I've already said all the movies have holes in them, I have no problem aknowledging this.  The fact that you're getting so defensive over me using the Predator movies as an example and trying to list holes in the Alien movies as a counter argument just shows how much you're missing the point.

mightydreadlock

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Dec 20, 2007, 03:44:07 PM

However at the end of the day these kinds of things don't really matter because you're so drawn into the movie that you're willing to accept them.  What separates Predator from other action movies besides the awesome creature design, is the tone and atmosphere, as I said in another thread I still get chills down my spine when I watch it.

QuoteThere are holes in Alien.

It seems you don't understand the movie at all :D, all the things you mentioned are permitted in this genre wich is a comic book styled sci fi action horror movie. Not one of the things you mentioned are holes. Hell the whole team looks like they walked out of a superhero cartoon or comic. Not to mention the Predator himself, an alien on steroids with laser weapons, green blood and whatnot. When the two adversaries finally meet face to face they begin a boxing match in a swampie ring. The creature finally defeated by Conan caveman Dutch, sets of a nuclear explosion but the hero outruns it. That is what i like so much about predator it is brutally honest. It is a masterfully crafted excellent b-movie, that's it. Alien pretends to be something more but hey, it's actually not.

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

Again, the fact that you are trying to defend the Predator movie by attacking the Alien movie speaks volumes.  You can sit here and explain to my why Predator is pure cinematic gold and why Alien is really arthouse bullshit, I don't care.  I've already made it very clear I like both movie franchies and your attempt to turn this into a "PREDATOR IS BETTERER THAN ALIEN!!1" says it all as far as I'm concerned.   All you're doing is living up the negative Predator fanboy stereotype.

mightydreadlock

QuoteAgain, the fact that you are trying to defend the Predator movie by attacking the Alien movie speaks volumes.

Not really, i wasn't really talking about Alien, i just illustrated the difference.

QuoteYou can sit here and explain to my why Predator is pure cinematic gold and why Alien is really arthouse bullshit, I don't care. 

Alien is really far from arthouse :D, it comfortably sits next to other good b-movies in it's genre. The alien xenomorph creature (it's design) is much more sophisticated than the movie it's in.

QuoteI've already made it very clear I like both movie franchies and your attempt to turn this into a "PREDATOR IS BETTERER THAN ALIEN!!1" says it all as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't say Predator is the better film, although i personally think it is. I just said Predator is more honest.
All that said i do think Alien is good just a bit overrated.

QuoteAll you're doing is living up the negative Predator fanboy stereotype.

::)                                                               

BAMF Hunter

BAMF Hunter

if everyone went off of a review from a 50 yr old or someone who doesnt know that this movie isnt suppose to change lives then stop wasting posting space about how bad this movie is  when u havent even seen it, everything in this review is a nit pick plain and simple, people just need to think about how many movies they have seen even after they read a crappy review , and still loved the movie and were wondering what movie the reviewer saw

Flaming Firefox

As my dad always says, "The only thing that really matters in a Sci-fi movie is it's ability to suspend disbelief in the viewers." It has to be constructed to where it is actually in some sense believable or tricks you into believing it is possible. You don't sit there thinking I'm watching a sci-fi or horror movie.  You need to be totally immersed in the story and invested in the outcome of the plot and the fate of the characters. If it can't do that then it isn't a good movie in my book.

Porkus Maximus

Denial much?

Dispite the fact that English isn't even his native language, this is still the best written review I have seen so far.  I can't see how it's all nitpicking considering that it only goes into moderate depth when describing scenes etc.  It's amazing and also frightening how much blind faith people are willing to put into a movie like this.

It seems no matter how bad things look, there's always someone who will respond along the lines of "DON'T JUDGE THE FILM UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN IT!".  Well guess what?  These people HAVE seen it and their judgement was that it isn't very good.  At some point you are going to have to accept that this film might not be the perfect movie you thought it was going to be.  If you see it and you don't like it, what are you going to say then?  "DON'T JUDGE THE FILM UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THE DIRECTORS CUT!"?

BAMF Hunter

BAMF Hunter

i go into a movie open minded, so what if something didnt quite look right or work right, the movie is suppose to an escape from reality, i could care less if something isnt in here and was in another alien or pred movie, either way its gonna be better than the first one  and thats all that really matters

$cHm0cK

$cHm0cK

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Dec 20, 2007, 05:36:35 PM
It seems no matter how bad things look, there's always someone who will respond along the lines of "DON'T JUDGE THE FILM UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN IT!".  Well guess what?  These people HAVE seen it and their judgement was that it isn't very good.  At some point you are going to have to accept that this film might not be the perfect movie you thought it was going to be.

What a mess ... i know guys who completely dislike ALIEN ... they say its boring and BS. And i say its cool! So what?  ::)

The same as for A:R .. i say its the complete BS! Others say its a cool movie ... no it is NOT .. imo! You see ... its just nonsense ...

greetz

Commander Aun

I like both Alien and Predator. They both have there ups and downs. They have similarities too aswell. The suspense and horror of alien was very scary, and the heart pounding action of Predator was excellent aswell, even though at first they dont fight the predator. They are both great films in my book, and I hope AVPR is good aswell.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed