Milford Sound (Official Location)

Started by Stolen, Mar 09, 2016, 07:42:52 PM

Author
Milford Sound (Official Location) (Read 29,635 times)

Stolen

Stolen

Neil Corbould, supervisor of special effects in Alien Covenant confirmed on twitter that he move to Milford Sound.

QuoteNeil Corbould
‏@nceffects On my way to Milford Sound!

https://twitter.com/nceffects

Stuff.co.nz had already mentioned this location a few weeks ago.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/77002539/aliens-sightings-in-fiordland--hollywood-blockbuster-set-to-be-filmed-here

I suspect that the shooting is imminent. Maybe shots have already been made?

The place is fantastic :

From Ridley Scott : Shooting will be  a mix of location and studio shoots with location requiting "monumental forest and monumental rock and the rest will be in the studio with fairly formidable CGI.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Stolen on Mar 09, 2016, 07:42:52 PM
Stuff.co.nz had already mentioned this location a few weeks ago.

I do believe it was originally that Eighth Passenger feller who first called it.  ;D

But nice to see it confirmed.

Corporal Hicks

Thanks for the link, Stolen! I've posted up an article about this with credit to yourself.

It really looks beautiful. It'd be a wonderful stand in for paradise.

Enoch

Enoch

I wrote about this one month ago ;D

There are some others locations in New Zealand, and they shoot some of aerial scenes!

Sutherland Falls near Milford Sound

Spoiler
[close]

Milford Sound

Spoiler

[close]

And of course some forest ;)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Enoch on Mar 10, 2016, 11:53:10 AM
I wrote about this one month ago ;D

I believe you posted the Stuff.co.nz article. The tweet from Corbould is new and substantiates that article.  :)

Sutherland Falls near Milford Sound

Spoiler
[close]

Milford Sound

Spoiler

[close]

Those are some gorgeous places! I can't wait to see where they go with this. I still hope we get some truly Giger-esque locales as well. Thanks for the pictures!

Whiskeybrewer

That is some stunning location pics. Gonna look beautiful

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 10, 2016, 08:56:18 AM
It really looks beautiful. It'd be a wonderful stand in for paradise.

Only thing is, Milford Sound in Fjorland Park is a very touristy spot and visually very well known the world over. It's similar in popularity to the Grand Canyon, Yellow Stone Park, Wadi Rum, Ayers Rock in Australia, Serengeti, Maasai Mara etc.

So I suspect they'll do something similar to how they transformed the Wadi Rum in Jordan into LV-223 in Prometheus and into the Acidalia Planitia in The Martian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxg7rUJm8fQ

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Going to be at least a beautifully filmed move.  Hope they don't run into Gollum up in those mountains.   ;)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 10, 2016, 01:19:26 PM
Only thing is, Milford Sound in Fjorland Park is a very touristy spot and visually very well known the world over. It's similar in popularity to the Grand Canyon, Yellow Stone Park, Wadi Rum, Ayers Rock in Australia, Serengeti, Maasai Mara etc.

Fair enough. I'm not familiar with it myself - but I'm not really well versed on my world and geography.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Such a beautiful place. It is like an exotic Paradise there. Also, there is an alíen-like landscape in New Zealand:

Waitomo Glowworm Caves

Corporal Hicks

:o Wow. That is just absolutely mind-blowing. I'd love to see something like that in person!

Whiskeybrewer

Now that's just pure beauty

Perfect-Organism

That's truly amazing.  There was something similar in an earlier draft of Frank Herbert's Dune.  It totally would be epic if something like this made it into the new film.  I really love the contrast between the sense of wonder, and the sense of terror that the Alien films have an opportunity to explore.  This is really where Prometheus excelled.

LordCassusSnow

Aotearoa is practically paradise. So many beautiful landscapes and no spiders or predators that can kill you. One of the least populated places in the world and one of the friendliest. I'm also totally fascinated by the Maori culture and it's my dream to one day live there ;D But that aside, i thought i heard Riddles describe the engineer paradise in the past as dark and terrible to us but paradise-like to them. So im guessin the shots were getting will probably be in some kind of flashback like the opening of Prometheus? I just cant see the engineers living on an earth-like planet like ours. I mean, it could be possible, their DNA matches ours 100% :-X  But maybe im wrong and its possibly a test planet where engineers create and possibly kick out what doesn't work? Like us i suppose? Or maybe its a prize to be won by whatever species is deemed worthy and shaw and david f**k it up by bringing the black goo and exposing all life to it. David, fascinated, takes this opportunity to play god while shaw, wanting to find the engineers creator, leaves leaving David to create a big chap ;) 3rd movie will probably be about discovering shaw and finding out what shes learned and meeting cthulu. Oh yeah, its gonna happen lol. We'll see i suppose.

Chris P

Chris P

That's right! Enoch, you did (http://www.scified.com/news/alien-covenant-to-be-shoot-in-new-zealand) But this new pic is great, gonna get this posted on Scified as well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed