J.W. Rinzler's The Making of Aliens

Started by felix, Sep 16, 2019, 05:18:33 AM

Author
J.W. Rinzler's The Making of Aliens (Read 56,217 times)

felix

felix

Description of the Book.

"As one of the most highly regarded movie sequels of all time, Aliens quickly embedded itself in the minds of cinemagoers around the world when it was released in 1986. Driven by the singular vision of director James Cameron and guided by producer Gale Ann Hurd, its relentless action and unforgettable characters helped cement its place as an undisputed classic of 1980s cinema.

The Making of Aliens tells the complete story of how Cameron and Hurd, together with their immensely talented cast and crew, brought heroine Ellen Ripley back to the big screen—and upped the stakes by introducing a whole army of aliens for her to face. Interviews with the cast and crew, alongside revealing photography and fascinating concept art, illustrate the film's eventful journey from its beginnings as a sequel that nobody wanted to make through to its transformation into one of the highest-grossing blockbusters of the decade."

Prez

Prez

Oh man I seriously can't wait for this one!

Perfect-Organism

I wish authentic Aliens products would stop using that cheap imitation Aliens font.  That letter "S" looks nothing like it does in the film intro.

Me and my first world problems.   ::)

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 17, 2019, 03:13:28 AM
I wish authentic Aliens products would stop using that cheap imitation Aliens font.  That letter "S" looks nothing like it does in the film intro.

It looks exactly like the film's poster font though?

As for the book, unless there are more unseen photos outside of the general Acton Lane Power Station shoot or Leicester Square premier, the book won't disclose anything we haven't seen before.

I'd love some images of the prop team scouting for old aircraft parts for the APC and Dropship or other film crew photos but I doubt it.

Ash 937

It would be great if a third book for Alien3 was eventually made and David Fincher was involved in discussions for the project.

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Ash 937 on Oct 21, 2019, 04:48:57 AM
It would be great if a third book for Alien3 was eventually made and David Fincher was involved in discussions for the project.

I doubt it, David Fincher disowned the movie. The BFI 2009 transcript of him questioned is revealing. He basically said everything he tried to contribute was ignored by 20th Century Fox and he was fired three times making it.  :D

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/feb/03/david-fincher-interview-transcript

From the article. MS is Mark Salisbury (interviewer) DF is David Fincher.

MS: But there's this fantastic quote that I found, where you said of Alien 3 that "a lot of people hated Alien 3, but no one hated it more than I did."

DF: I had to work on it for two years, got fired off it three times and I had to fight for every single thing. No one hated it more than me; to this day, no one hates it more than me.

MS: At the risk of opening old wounds, what did you take from that experience that has subsequently helped you in your Hollywood career?

DF: It was a baptism by fire. I was very naive. For a number of years, I'd been around the kind of people who financed movies and the kind of people who are there to make the deals for movies. But I'd always had this naive idea that everybody wants to make movies as good as they can be, which is stupid. [audience laughs] So I learned on this movie that nobody really knows, so therefore no one has to care, so it's always going to be your fault. I'd always thought, "Well, surely you don't want to have the Twentieth Century Fox logo over a shitty movie." And they were like, "Well, as long as it opens." So I learned then just to be a belligerent asshole, which was really: "You have to get what you need to get out of it." You have to fight for things you believe in, and you have to be smart about how you position it so that you don't just become white noise. On that movie, I was the guy who was constantly the voice of "We need to do this better, we need to do this, this doesn't make sense". And pretty soon, it was like in Peanuts: WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP! They'd go, "He's doing that again, he's frothing at the mouth, he seems so passionate." They didn't care.

MS: Have you grown to like it since then, Alien 3?

DF: God, no! [audience laughs] But I don't look at anything after it's done.

MS: So that alternate cut on the DVD special edition whatever it is – that's not yours?

DF: I don't know who did it, I've never seen it, I can't comment on it.

HuDaFuK

Interesting that he claims not to know anything about the extended version - din't Lauzirika say he corresponded with him a couple of times over email while putting it together?

Voodoo Magic

If I remember correctly Fincher was asked to participate, but he gave it a hard pass. I always assumed that meant no involvement.

HuDaFuK

Sure, Lauzirika said as much, but their conversing would mean he at least knew about it and who was behind it.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 21, 2019, 03:00:52 PM
Interesting that he claims not to know anything about the extended version - din't Lauzirika say he corresponded with him a couple of times over email while putting it together?

Can't recall if they ever corresponded directly. All I have is this from an interview the Corporal conducted with him several years ago:

Quote from: Charles de LauzirikaFincher gave us his blessing to go ahead and do whatever we wanted. https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/charles-de-lauzirika/

Charles did mention an interesting anecdote a few years ago. He was on his way to the premiere of the Alien 3 Assembly Cut when he popped into a take-away restaurant for some pizza or something. And who should he see sitting at one of the tables? David Fincher himself. So Charles went outside in order to summon up enough courage to ask Fincher whether he would like to attend the premiere. But unfortunately when Charles finally got the courage, Fincher had already left.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, all that's on the Strange Shapes blog here. It's where I got it from :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Ah thanks, was trying to remember where I read that anecdote. Apparently he went outside to call the office/studio and ask them whether he should ask Fincher over for the screening.

Anyway, the story continues which clears up your previous question:

Quote from: Charles de LauzirikaThen, about a week later, Fincher actually called my office. Mark Romanek [who directed One Hour Photo – another DVD Lauzirika produced] had talked to him about me, and put in the good word... which, coming from Romanek, is a major deal to me. I mean, I worship both of these guys. Mark gave Fincher my number, which was incredibly nice of Mark to do. Unfortunately, I wasn't in the office when Fincher called. But he left this really cryptic voicemail: 'Yeah, Mark Romanek told me to call you about Alien 3...' and about halfway through the message, he just kind of drifted off. It was almost like he lost the heart to even talk about Alien 3 right then in the middle of this message he was leaving me. We played phone tag for a while and never actually spoke directly.

Voodoo Magic

Considering they never did actually correspond, I can see Fincher not having an opinion about him, let alone remembering his name.

Kradan

Kradan

I think they should put Fincher in dark room, strap his hands and legs and finally make him watch Assembly's Cut so he can finally admit what a masterpiece he did

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Oct 23, 2019, 09:37:50 PM
I think they should put Fincher in dark room, strap his hands and legs and finally make him watch Assembly's Cut so he can finally admit what a masterpiece he did

https://cdn1-www.mandatory.com/assets/uploads/2014/08/file_1053469_MENS_Frozen_01_clockwork-orange_Photofest_clockwork_fr_1920b.jpg

That word again...

Did you just call Alien3.... a "masterpiece"???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed