The Strategy Game Thread (All Platforms)

Started by RagingDragon, Apr 30, 2014, 05:24:22 AM

What is your favorite type of strategy game?

Real-Time Strategy/Tactics (Starcraft, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer)
13 (54.2%)
Turn-Based Strategy/Tactics (Age of Wonders, X-COM, Heros of Might and Magic)
3 (12.5%)
4X (Civilzation, Master of Orion)
1 (4.2%)
Tactical Roleplaying (Final Fantasy Tactics)
1 (4.2%)
City Building, Economics, Management (SimCity, Ceasar, Anno, Tropico, Rollercoaster Tycoon)
0 (0%)
Real-Time/Turn-Based Hybrid (Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire)
3 (12.5%)
Wargames/Grand Strategy (Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis)
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author
The Strategy Game Thread (All Platforms) (Read 16,863 times)

RagingDragon

Quote from: Crazy Rich on May 01, 2014, 10:38:04 AM
I remember DUNE 2000 when I was a kid/early teen. I served House Atreides well by leading vast armies and defeating the Harkonnen and the Ordos for control of Arrakis.

I've played other game's like EndWar and RUSE.

Dune 2000 is truly the oldest of the old school, Rich. Set up the format for many RTS's to come, including Command and Conquer. Long live the fighters of Paul Maud' Dib!

And Company of Heroes looks incredible. Another game I missed playing on the free weekend recently. FML.

WinterActual

You missed nothing mate. CoH 2 sucks donkey ass!

RagingDragon

Quote from: WinterActual on May 01, 2014, 06:23:53 PM
You missed nothing mate. CoH 2 sucks donkey ass!

:laugh: Well that's a relief. I've watched some Youtube vids of it. Please give us your thoughts on it, I'm very curious.

WinterActual

And on top of everything it runs like shit no matter how powerful your PC is. Just stick to CoH 1 with either Blitzkrieg or Eastern Front.

Crazy Rich

Quote from: WinterActual on May 01, 2014, 06:32:09 PM
And on top of everything it runs like shit no matter how powerful your PC is. Just stick to CoH 1 with either Blitzkrieg or Eastern Front.

Well no wonder my copy never even left the loading screen, and only ever once saw one mission.

Aspie

QWOP is a pretty nifty one.

Rong

Dat dune 2000 da memories on that one.

I remember networking up pc's a kid to play multi on the first c&c and playing against my younger brother to early morning hours lol good times, best c&c game was generals lol had a lot of fun with that one.

Effectz

Effectz

Played alot of Total Annihilation and C&C Tiberian sun back in 2002.Played a bit of Supreme Commander and the sequel.I'll Probs buy Planetary Annihilation down the road.

Last RTS I played was Starcraft HOTS.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Aspie on May 01, 2014, 06:57:39 PM

Urban Dictionary: QWOP(pronounced KWOP) is a south African olympian runner whos low IQ technically qualifies him as mentally retarded.

Aspie being Aspie :laugh:

C&C Generals was good fun. Dat unit spam lol, 80 attack helicopters occupying the same airspace ftw. I loved how Rangers could fast rope and fortify buildings. Lots of nifty little mechanics. But when it comes to C&C, I'm a Tiberian Sun whore. ;D

Quote from: Effectz on May 01, 2014, 07:11:30 PM
Played alot of Total Annihilation and C&C Tiberian sun back in 2002.Played a bit of Supreme Commander and the sequel.I'll Probs buy Planetary Annihilation down the road.

I LOVE these games, and grew up with Total Annihilation. It still has one of the greatest soundtracks of any game ever made. I've only watched youtube vids of SupCom. The game intimidates my little PC, even today lol. Truly awesome.

Planetary Annihilation looks like fun, even though the cartoonish graphics kind of put me off. Still, the scope of the game and playing something similar to TA have me sold. Once the price drops, I think I'll pick it up myself.

Okay, is anybody currently playing Empire at War? I remember one of the reasons I continually stop playing it are the horrendously imbalanced units like the TIE Mauler (tank) and Tartan patrol cruiser.

f**king TIE Maulers haul ass, and they'll appear out of nowhere, run over every infantry squad you have before you can react, then self-destruct and blow up everything else. It's f**king cheap beyond belief and frustrates me to hair-pulling level.

The Tartan cruises are in space battles, but they tear apart wave after wave of fighters with ease. It's so obnoxious that you end up spending half the battle searching for Tartans and running your fighters away from them just to keep them alive.

A bit more balance would really help with some of these issues. I'll have to see if they have any mods that fix this stuff.

Anyone else dealing with this madness lol?

Aspie

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 01, 2014, 07:19:23 PM
Quote from: Aspie on May 01, 2014, 06:57:39 PM

Urban Dictionary: QWOP(pronounced KWOP) is a south African olympian runner whos low IQ technically qualifies him as mentally retarded.

... I was referring to the strategy game lol:

Crazy Rich

Gimli is in Dune 2000, making House Atreides the greatest choice I could ever make when I didn't even know this yet until... today.  :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVZkV2LA3yA#

Besides that I choose Atreides not just for the air superiority but because it is the "noble" house.

RagingDragon

John Rhys-Davies! That's sweet, but who the hell is Nari Maneo? Supposed to be Thufir Hawat, and he would be a bomb Thufir lol. Same thing I guess.

RONG. Y U no tell me Sins of a Solar Empire has some excellent Star Wars mods??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tcwYwM3Rg#ws

I might just give up Empire at War altogether after seeing this. It looks like everything I wanted from that game and more.

Nightlord

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 01, 2014, 07:19:23 PM

Okay, is anybody currently playing Empire at War? I remember one of the reasons I continually stop playing it are the horrendously imbalanced units like the TIE Mauler (tank) and Tartan patrol cruiser.

f**king TIE Maulers haul ass, and they'll appear out of nowhere, run over every infantry squad you have before you can react, then self-destruct and blow up everything else. It's f**king cheap beyond belief and frustrates me to hair-pulling level.

The Tartan cruises are in space battles, but they tear apart wave after wave of fighters with ease. It's so obnoxious that you end up spending half the battle searching for Tartans and running your fighters away from them just to keep them alive.

A bit more balance would really help with some of these issues. I'll have to see if they have any mods that fix this stuff.

Anyone else dealing with this madness lol?
Play Empire.
Failing that abuse the rebels OP units, those rocket artillery trucks are broken beyond belief for ground battles and for space battles I've always found Y-wing spam to destroy pretty much everything.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Nightlord on May 01, 2014, 08:13:28 PMPlay Empire.
Failing that abuse the rebels OP units, those rocket artillery trucks are broken beyond belief for ground battles and for space battles I've always found Y-wing spam to destroy pretty much everything.

This is sound advice, though I've been avoiding the Empire just because of movie-fueled Rebellion/underdog love.

Those artillery trucks, yeah I forgot. Nuke anything from halfway across the map!

WinterActual

Btw its rumored that the next month is the release of the full version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE8QgqCiV8Q#ws

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed