NECA Aliens

Started by DerelictShip, Jul 07, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

Author
NECA Aliens (Read 815,018 times)

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

If it isn't available online and you have to be a club member that's pretty lame  ::) (especially since I missed joining the club by like an hour)
I totally would have gotten 1 or 2 as K series aliens.

lightsyder

lightsyder

Yep, you are correct.  I must have misread that...

Bilbo5000

Bilbo5000

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jun 06, 2017, 12:50:23 PM
If it isn't available online and you have to be a club member that's pretty lame  ::) (especially since I missed joining the club by like an hour)
I totally would have gotten 1 or 2 as K series aliens.

Yup,
I would have picked up 2 but I also missed out of the club. This one is going to coast me.  :P

Kailem

Kailem

windebieste

windebieste

Nice looking figure, but it doesn't appeal to me all that much.  It's really just 'Stompy' with a cranial makeover.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Love it. Been hoping for a Praetorian-styled thing for ages!

The Monster´s mother

The Monster´s mother

I just don't like that thing about Neca, they're too lazy. Maybe that's why I haven't buy them for a while.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: The Monster´s mother on Jun 11, 2017, 02:15:06 AM
I just don't like that thing about Neca, they're too lazy. Maybe that's why I haven't buy them for a while.

Ok, I have to step in here for a second (and I'm not just being a 'NECA fan-boy').

It has NOTHING to do with being "lazy". 

NECA is a business, and a business' bottom line is to make money.

The fan base for action figures of this type is actually VERY small.  So, in order to make a profit (and thusly continue to provide action figures in the future) NECA absolutely must get the most use out of the VERY expensive injection molds that are used to make these figures.

This means that they will (and should) re-use parts where they can and still provide us with interesting figures.

windebieste

windebieste

It's an appropriate argument on a case by case basis - and different people will have different points of view. 

For example, to have a complete set of compression suited Nostromo figures, it makes sense to re-use the same moulds and swap out the heads.  Casting the moulds in different colours and paint schemes is only logical way to go about it. 

Otherwise, there wouldn't be 5 of them (Kane, Ripley, Dallas, Amanda and the upcoming Lambert) to choose from.  I'm all for them using the moulds wisely in this way. 

Sometimes, however, it does appear that NECA mercilessly go out of their way to maximise return on their investment by re-using moulds with the most flimsy excuse.  Recast the Alien in blue and call it a Kenner tribute figure, for example.  ...or take the Stompy figure - an item that itself is a repurposing of the Alien figure - and give it a fresh head sculpt, release it and claim it's a Defiance comic book tribute. 

In the end, it comes down to quality and while we're at it let's face it, such figures become recognised as variants.  Other companies do it all the time, too.  At least NECA are attempting to bring some validity to their re-purposing.  Overall, I think it's a good thing but the sheer volume of content they are releasing certainly makes justifying buying all of their releases a difficult task. 

At least we are spoiled for choice; and that's a good thing, right?  So just pick and choose the ones you like.  Who knows?  Maybe one of these variants will become a favourite?  I particularly like their Stompy figure of all their releases to date.  2nd place would be the Dog Alien.

They've released 5 of those.  I have 2 and I'm happy with that.

-Windebieste.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Has the new wave been released yet? The local TRU has nothing new and I want the ice blue Kool-Aid Alien dang nab it! :laugh:

Seriously.

Keyes

Keyes

Bit late to the party, but just received the NECA Ripley jumpsuit figure from eBay, but can't help but feel the face, particularly the lips, look nothing like the previews seen online. How does everyone else's version compare?

CelticP

CelticP

Dunno if this is the place, but I've taken a lot of pictures of these figures and it's sorta become a weird off shoot hobby for my hobby. So here's a few if anyone is interested.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Wow great pics! The first and third are fantastic.

windebieste

windebieste

Great photos.  More please.

-Windebieste.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

All five are fantastic!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed