New Film Project...

Started by Xenomorphine, Jan 18, 2013, 09:24:06 AM

Author
New Film Project... (Read 34,310 times)

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Sweet tease. I can't wait to see how this all comes together. I'm a film/art guy but have no experience with CGI other than watching it on a screen.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Looking really sweet. I'm in the same boat as BCP in that I've never done anything with CGI, but that's looking excellent.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Good to know!

The direction in which this shall head is going to be largely dictated by which techniques end up being the most successful. But when this is done, I'll be quite open about what how it was done. Not necessarily cheap, but is intuitive, so far. :)

Byohzrd

Byohzrd

CG film? You should perhaps get in touch with Locusta and see if he'll lend you his CG models, THAT would be the greatest CG alien film of all time.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

It seems they use something called Softimage, but I'll ask if they've got something which can be adapted into what I use. One can dream...

Gates

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Wow. That looks fantastic. Keep 'em coming, Xeno.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Update!

Project is solidifying at a steady rate, so to speak. Main sticking point is finding the right models, human figures and, most importantly of all, environments for the software. These are more important considerations than would be preferable, since the availability of elements dictate a story's direction as much as a real sets would for a more conventional film (unfortunately, several vital things can be a bit more expensive than I'd like, which means price is a consideration, too). The good news is that the artistic-looking visual filter stuff is proving no trouble.

The animation side of things, unfortunately, is requiring more expertise than I have, but even if it ends up turning into a full-on motion comic, that won't detract from the direction I have in mind.

Green-screening live-action stuff provided stranger results than expected (going to try a different lighting technique to get around the encountered problem), but filtering and colour-correction should largely get around that.

Good news is that the methods I'm using won't require an actual cast of actors until much later on and, by that time, what I'll need them for can all be accomplished in a very short space of time. Cryptic, I know! But when this is finished, my reasoning shall become clearer!

Not pretending this'll be massively epic with heart-stirring drama or anything, but I am aiming for what shall hopefully be something with a relatively professional look for an exceedingly low budget.

Shall be posting some more experimental stuff when I can do.

Quote from: Byohzrd on Jan 22, 2013, 05:21:27 AM
CG film? You should perhaps get in touch with Locusta and see if he'll lend you his CG models, THAT would be the greatest CG alien film of all time.

Did send a message, but no reply yet.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Visual updates...

Not the human figure I'll be using. Just a preliminary CGI model before obtaining more realistic and detailed ones.

Also not actual visuals from the project. As before, these were tests.

PHASE 1:

Spoiler

There's our friendly killing machine... Aboard a set of the Sulaco hanger, no less. As can be seen, Swidhelm's model poses very nicely if you match the posture with a dynamic tail movement. Incidentally, it's the same one as was used in the AVP fan-film, 'Redemption'. The dorsal tubes are a bit bigger than I'd like, but I can't seem to alter them. Tolerable enough and the rest of it is just beautiful.

Here's what it looks like when rendered. While nice enough, I haven't finished with it yet...

Now with a filter! Greater visual definition. Does change some of the set's colours, but it's an interesting experiment.

The initial image, now with an artistic look to it... Good! But let's try the same on the more defined picture, shall we?

There we are... Much closer to that cinematic Denis Beauvais style, as featured in the original second comic. But... Ready for prime-time? No, no. Not quite yet. Still more to go.

But before we do that, let's see what a thermal imaging version looks like. As it happens, rather nice! With a suitably cool temperature registering for the creature, too (the doors come across as 'hot', but there are ways to fix that with layers). Potential Predator inclusion is at least possible now (HUD symbology experiments come later).

But all of the above was with full lighting. Let's see how the finished product looks when not only given the right lighting, but has a human figure to interact with.

Why the artistic filters? I'll be explaining that on another future post, but trust me, experimenting with them does have a purpose.
[close]

PHASE 2:

Spoiler
With the initial experimentation over, let's see if I can create a convincing attack interaction in a relatively short space of time... This time, there's no set - but for good reason. It's for the purposes of seeing how things look at closer range and different forms of lighting. I don't want surfaces to reflect it. I just want to focus on the figures. This time, while physically interacting.

Lambert 2.0 - now with long hair! The tail's actually coming up between her legs for a relevant psychosexual effect as she's being calmly grabbed, but posing the camera to look up gives an even better sense of helplessness. It's surprising to see just how tall a proper Alien can be.

This, however, is fully lit. Different lighting effects come later.

Experimental blooming image filter.

Artistic look over the bloom.

Different collection of filters. It's not simply to darken the entire tone. They're done to highlight certain areas and hide others. Gives a greater sense of shadow.

Artistic look given to that.

Similar technique used to highlight the Alien in the Sulaco hanger.

Artistic look.

The first proper lighting alteration given to the basic scene.

Greater definition.

Another different lighting effect.

Greater definition.

Artistic effect.
[close]

Still early days, but even these basic tests are looking promising.

CGI to-do list:
Testing more detailed human figures.
Vehicles.
Giger components.
Environments.

Other techniques:
Additional visual filter/lighting experimentation.
Physical ice effects...
Green screen element combinations with suitable colour-correction.

Then comes the writing. :)

After that, the visuals, then audio, then tons of video editing.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

f**k...f**kING YES!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Very very interesting. Keep us teased!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Something is already planned for the next few days... >:D

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

This looks very fascinating Xenomorphine. Can't wait to see what you've got.  :D

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Hey,

Looks very good, keep it up!!
If you need some small help from 3D to Compositing just give me a PM, I'd be glad to help you  ;)

Cya

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Much appreciated!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed