Fan Reviews/Questions

Started by ikarop, Sep 30, 2011, 06:34:40 AM

Author
Fan Reviews/Questions (Read 42,313 times)

KingAngel ofthe Outergulf

Hi Guys I am new to this web site.  I am one of the biggest Alien fanatics ever, my friends call me the librarian or the movie store. Anyway my question is for all of you does anything in this game contradict what has been seen to happen in Aliens Colonial marines?  I unfortunately cant play the game, no ds.

In addition could someone please tell me and post me all the diffrent Aliens in the game, what is this Alien Rhino I keep hearing about?  On the xenopedia we already have up the Gorilla and Gorilla Pratarien Alien but no one on xenopedia has mentioned much else about the game including this Rhino Alien I hear all over the place. 

SM

SM

It's not known if it'll contradict A:CM.  They're supposed to be companion pieces so one wouldn't think they'd conflict.  However the Sephora in the Infestation game intercepts the Sulaco near Gamma Leporis - way off course.  While all the press for A:CM says it's intercepted at Fiorina, then flown back to LV-426.  Plus in Infestation they're Sulaco seems to fly al over the place - including back to Mars.

As for the Rhino Alien - I don't think it's bred out of an actual rhino; it just looks like it is.

jthuconn

jthuconn

Can any EU Infestation owners chime in on their Instruction Manual?  The US release was 3 pages of BW text :(  Did you guys get color?  Full manual?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

My UK manual is in black and white too.

So I've started replaying this. Again, really enjoying it and my opinion since my review hasn't changed at all.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

I finally.. finally played this. And I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I re-beat Aliens infestation on the DS for the first time in over a decade.

I still like it quite a bit; the sprite work is excellent, the sound effects are on point, and the combat mostly feels solid (shooting it out with human enemies behind cover turned into me vaulting the cover and blasting them at point blank). The weapons feel varied but still have a level of parity with each other such that I found myself switching between them fairly regularly just to have different gameplay experiences without feeling like I was crippling myself.

Once you get a handle on the game, it almost becomes too easy unless you get ambushed by a bunch of Aliens at once and get cornered. There's a couple difficulty spikes (the pressure suit segment was rough, the game isn't a very good platformer), especially the boss fights. Maybe I wasn't taking the time to learn attack patterns enough, but I found myself brute-forcing the fights a bit.
The coolest boss fight is easily the Jockey-Alien, it just looks rad and its animations are cool.

The "collect Marines" gimmick is neat but it feels half-baked - you can only have 4 at a time, so you have to either leave extras behind (except for on the Sulaco which you return to a few times) or intentionally get your Marines killed to pick up new people; the game basically penalizes you for playing well and withholds one of its more interesting features unless you suck or sabotage yourself. I'd have much preferred if I could have collected everyone like pokemon and swapped between them at save stations at my leisure.

It has metroidvania elements, but it's all very rudimentary and linear to the point where I'm hesitant to call it a full metroidvania. That's not a knock on the game, it's still fun, and the metroidvania elements work, it just feels like "babby's first metroidvania".

It's still a really cool game, although it's a little short and doesn't offer a ton in the way of replay other than using different Marines at different story moments just to see how the dialogue changes. I'd have been interested to know how it would have meshed with Aliens: Colonial Marines had that project not gone off the rails.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I put Zoe Kennedy in Aliens Dark Descent, my beloved, the character designs are really great.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Feb 04, 2024, 12:01:14 AMI put Zoe Kennedy in Aliens Dark Descent, my beloved, the character designs are really great.
Oh yeah I totally got her killed fighting one of the bosses, lol. Maybe the Jockey-Alien boss?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed