Aliens Infestation, Excellent

Started by The Old One, Jan 30, 2019, 03:10:01 AM

Author
Aliens Infestation, Excellent (Read 4,504 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Where has this been hiding all these years?

I just finished the game and I have to say, thank you WayForward. Now, it isn't perfect but I'm willing to give the game some leeway in that it was developed alongside Colonial Marines after all. So, We all know what it is, side scrolling Metroid-vania.
Infestation's final boss is a headache, sponge, aside from that I loved it.

Where to begin? Ah yes, concerning Marines.

By far the game's greatest asset is it's characters, right from the (text) go (because there's no voiced dialogue in this) each character has their own wonderful little personality, informed both by illustrations by Chris Bachalo and the writing. Although the characters are more often than not true to the archetype their portrait impresses upon the player, they're not without a semblance of nuance present in the character speech and idle animations conveying their mindset.

There's a bit of true choice and consequence going on, should you want to continue seeing your favourite character you'll have to place them in harm's way. Gameplay lives acting as character deaths, permanent deaths. (I loaded back myself.)
Whilst the permadeath system is the game's greatest asset, the implementation is the game's greatest weakness; your squad selection's locked.

This is a major problem, because with nearly 20 Marine characters to choose from the only way to choose is to allow a party member or more, of the original four to die. Luckily this happened to me naturally on the first playthrough I lost both Whistler and Homewrecker, then replaced them with Amber Fischer and Zoe Kennedy (Fav).
This way works fantastically for a first playthrough- But it's a shame there's no New Game+ as not only would I have to recollect everyone on the roster, but if say- I wanted to find out what the deal is with Colonial Marines; Jeff "Lucky" Palms, Angel Sinise, Jasper "Ironsights" Watson, Frank Heston and Fredric "Rook" Marcus (Funny how this character was obviously intended to be an Android, "Rook" like Bishop chess, "Marcus" like Marcus TCF.) I'd have to kill at least a couple of the original four on purpose.

The aesthetics? The visuals and acoustics, perfect. Alien aesthetic through and through.

The Alien designs, excellent- you managed to get me onboard with the Primate Alien (TCF again),
Not too different, mostly just in movement and size and it's cool to see the stocky monster Alien design from Alien Resurrection alongside the H.R Giger's Alien, lanky and tall.

The UPP's a cool natural addition and the plot feels like a natural conclusion to the fate of the USCM ship. No contrived nonsense here, good game.

Alien's companion piece: ALIEN Isolation.
Aliens' companion piece: Aliens Infestation.
IMO.  ;D

M.I.A <3

Hope to see some of these beautiful bastards again someday, otherwise I might start writing fanfiction.

Local Trouble

Is it KOTOR2 caliber?

The Old One

The Old One

No, I enjoyed it a lot though. (:

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I keep meaning to replay Infestation; I definitely agree that the game could have used a NG+ mode where you could pick your Marines, so you could see their unique dialogue and whatnot.

SM

SM

It hasn't exactly been hiding.  It's been getting a pretty good rap since it was released.

Local Trouble

Unfortunately, it's a DS exclusive.  It'd make a good console release though.

Corporal Hicks

I love Infestation. It really took me by surprise when I first played it. I wasn't expecting it to be as genuinely entertaining as it was. It's been a few years since I replayed it, though. I'd like to change that but it's just another thing on the to-do-list.

This one allowed you to rescue captured marines, like in Thanatos Encounter, didn't it?

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

Corporal Hicks

I love that as a feature. I think that's really awesome.

The Old One

The Old One

But you know they're doomed eventually if you do that, because they're infected. They even get Chestbursted if they die.

The Old One

The Old One

The ending song sucked though, lol. Loved the game otherwise.

judge death

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 30, 2019, 10:37:26 AM
But you know they're doomed eventually if you do that, because they're infected. They even get Chestbursted if they die.
What? I  have replayed this game surely over 6 times and saved some marines after they got infected in the hives and never seen them chestburst, when they die for me they just simply disappear/get a normal death. IF these is a such scene I have missed it, maybe can find it on youtube xD
Only game I know that lets one play after one got infected and later get chestbursted is alien resurrection on PS1.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, I was shocked the first time it happened.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed